The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Its Over for APPLE
Old 17th August 2012
  #31
Gear Head
 
PreAmpSam's Avatar
 

Priceless!
Old 17th August 2012
  #32
what's going to kill apple (well not really) will be abandoning pro-users of professional audio and video applications and not releasing a decent pro-tower to compete with the new PCs...

FCPX is a joke. Tons of mid-level editing houses are switching or have already switched to hardware accelerated PCs running CS6 Premier Pro w/ Efter Effects as it allows for 1) nested compositing in the timeline w/ after effects and 2) multi-format video files without transcoding. these two features alone (not withstanding the speed of using dedicated Nvida cards) is just making Apple look like they don't care about pro-video users.

On the audio side, probably not as bad, but I switched to a PC for music apps in 2007 and I can't say that I've regretted it for a second. Yes, I still have a Mac w/ PTLE+ on it so I can take my unity gain OMFs and convert that to a PT Session for delivery, but no one cares or knows that I'm actually using Sonar as my main DAW...

signed,
- a loyal (and pissed) mac user since 1989
Old 19th August 2012
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
what's going to kill apple (well not really) will be abandoning pro-users of professional audio and video applications and not releasing a decent pro-tower to compete with the new PCs...
I'm not sure. A tiny sliver of that $400 billion + they are sitting on is the result of pro users. Pro users are a small niche market. Apple has become a consumer behemoth.
Old 19th August 2012
  #34
Then came the iphone and the ipad putting the final nails in the Microsoft coffin.
Old 19th August 2012
  #35
Lives for gear
 
thepilgrimsdream's Avatar
 

I'm a mac user at home, but I am an I.T. guy as my profession right now, and for some reason XP still runs better than even 7 for me.....don't get me started on vista haha
Old 19th August 2012
  #36
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
what's going to kill apple (well not really) will be abandoning pro-users of professional audio and video applications and not releasing a decent pro-tower to compete with the new PCs...
Somehow, with first the music and the tv/flim industries in their back pocket (not to mention handhelds and tablets), I don't think a few video editors walking out is going to have them shaking in their boots...
Old 19th August 2012
  #37
Lives for gear
 

^ exactly. I don't like the abandoning of the pro users in favor of the iOS world, but of course that's what's they're doing. Selling a (relative) handful of high end Mac pros in comparison to the truckloads of iPhones, iPads, iMacs, etc (which my iPhone was psyched to autocapitalize) isn't a very compelling concern for a large company.
Old 19th August 2012
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSon View Post
Somehow, with first the music and the tv/flim industries in their back pocket (not to mention handhelds and tablets), I don't think a few video editors walking out is going to have them shaking in their boots...
I'll go farther. I don't think Apple wants the trouble of trying to maintain that market when they can put their efforts into the burgeoning consumer video market.

That's why they reoriented FCP as a one-desk app (removing many of the collaboration and third party toolset oriented functions and features that had made FCP so important to larger, multi-seat video production houses) and giving it a more simplified, consumer-friendly face.

After the initial wave of outrage, some video pros allowed as how FCP X would probably be a good fit for solo video editors when a few more missing features are added back in.


PS... I do regret keeping this idiotic thread alive. Apple wasn't going away in 2007 and it's certainly not going away any time soon or for a long time to come.
Old 19th August 2012
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Haze View Post
I would go back to using tape or DA-88's, if using Windows was the only option for a DAW..
It is my humble opinion that this statement is almost as silly as the OP.
Old 19th August 2012
  #40
Windows killing Mac/Apple off is like... (pick one)
  • Ed Norton beating all the guys in MMA and bench pressing more than Ahhnold
  • Dictaphones outdoing the sound quality of 24 track 2" with SR
  • The iphone memo app getting better sound quality than Pro Tools.
  • McDonald's food substitute being healthier than a well balanced home cooked meal
  • GM making a car that gets 400mpg. Next month. And making it widely available
  • All Muslims converting to Judaism or vice versa.

Seriously... LOL
Old 20th August 2012
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
I'm not sure. A tiny sliver of that $400 billion + they are sitting on is the result of pro users. Pro users are a small niche market. Apple has become a consumer behemoth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
^ exactly. I don't like the abandoning of the pro users in favor of the iOS world, but of course that's what's they're doing. Selling a (relative) handful of high end Mac pros in comparison to the truckloads of iPhones, iPads, iMacs, etc (which my iPhone was psyched to autocapitalize) isn't a very compelling concern for a large company.
my point exactly.
Old 20th August 2012
  #42
Lives for gear
 
seen-da-sizer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
And I love that it got no replies until today.. from 2007.
I am guessing that the people in 2007 have been smarter, in not responding to a troll![/sarcasm] heh
Old 20th August 2012
  #43
Lives for gear
 

@ T R S - Very Smart Move.......!
Retiring soon?
Old 20th August 2012
  #44
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
what's going to kill apple (well not really) will be abandoning pro-users of professional audio and video applications and not releasing a decent pro-tower to compete with the new PCs...

FCPX is a joke.
FCPX is a new way of editing. (some like it after getting used to others don't) Since the release it has gotten some updates with great features. FCPX is anything but a joke and a very serious tool for video editors. FCPX really is a big deal for Apple but they made the mistake of releasing it to early. I'll bet they don't wanna make that mistake with Logic or other Pro apps again.

Logic is taking very long which could mean 2 things.
1. Apple doesn't care anymore.
2. Apple is building on something new from the ground up which will take a lot time to get it right.

I still believe there is a great future ahead with Apple and their Pro applications.
Old 20th August 2012
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Yeap..........Forget OS X It's now - IOS!
That's Damn Sure!
Old 20th August 2012
  #46
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Mixerlmike, where the hell are u.. show urself!
He hasn't posted ANYTHING since 2007...doubt we'll be hearing from him now. Unless he stopped posting because nobody responded to this post...
Old 20th August 2012
  #48
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 

Apple making phones ? Nah , no one is going to buy that... It's over for them.
Old 21st August 2012
  #49
Old 21st August 2012
  #50
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Haze View Post
I would go back to using tape or DA-88's, if using Windows was the only option for a DAW..
I might join you as well.
Old 21st August 2012
  #51
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
@ T R S - Very Smart Move.......!
Retiring soon?
I bought them right after I saw this.

iphone Keynote - Pt 1 (Intro) - YouTube

Up until that date the smart phone was not very smart.
I knew that it was game changer - The previous time I felt like that was when Jobs was rehired by Apple.
I could not afford Apple shares back then I swore I would not that make that mistake again.
Old 21st August 2012
  #52
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
[QUOTE=spaceman;8182888]Apple making phones ? Nah , no one is going to buy that... It's over for them.


Steve Balmer also said the iPad was another Apple "Fad device"
The CEO of RIM ( The makers of Blackberry) was quoted (April 2007) as saying that "He did not believe that Apple did not have the capability to deliver the iPhone as promised."
Old 21st August 2012
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
FCPX is a new way of editing. (some like it after getting used to others don't) Since the release it has gotten some updates with great features. FCPX is anything but a joke and a very serious tool for video editors. FCPX really is a big deal for Apple but they made the mistake of releasing it to early. I'll bet they don't wanna make that mistake with Logic or other Pro apps again.

Logic is taking very long which could mean 2 things.
1. Apple doesn't care anymore.
2. Apple is building on something new from the ground up which will take a lot time to get it right.

I still believe there is a great future ahead with Apple and their Pro applications.
FCPX is an example of trying to re-invent something that's already working amazingly well. We've switched back to AVID from FC because of FCPX. What Apple are trying to do is draw the consumer and prosumer people who edit their vacation videos and small corporate stuff in iMovie because it was essentially free, into a more expensive product, and abandon all pros who don't play their game. Of course, they'll make hundreds of millions off this.

Sure, it works OK. But why should I change the way I've been successfully and happily functioning for 15 years because Apple tells me they've invented a "better way," especially when the whole thing just stinks of profiteering. I never liked iMovie, and FCPX is just iMovie with a lot more functionality. Most people who buy it will probably just continue using it like they used iMovie.

Things may eventually go this way as the industry standard method, but there's so much well-deserved resistance from pro users over FCPX, that it's going to take a long time. Maybe if AVID and ADOBE both go belly up, and there are no traditional options left available.
Old 21st August 2012
  #54
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
FCPX is an example of trying to re-invent something that's already working amazingly well. We've switched back to AVID from FC because of FCPX. What Apple are trying to do is draw the consumer and prosumer people who edit their vacation videos and small corporate stuff in iMovie because it was essentially free, into a more expensive product, and abandon all pros who don't play their game. Of course, they'll make hundreds of millions off this.

Sure, it works OK. But why should I change the way I've been successfully and happily functioning for 15 years because Apple tells me they've invented a "better way," especially when the whole thing just stinks of profiteering. I never liked iMovie, and FCPX is just iMovie with a lot more functionality. Most people who buy it will probably just continue using it like they used iMovie.

Things may eventually go this way as the industry standard method, but there's so much well-deserved resistance from pro users over FCPX, that it's going to take a long time. Maybe if AVID and ADOBE both go belly up, and there are no traditional options left available.
There is always a better way and its never perfect.
Sticking to what you already know and already use didn't change. If you got FCP7 you can still use it.
I'm kinda new to editing on a pro level. I've owned FCP7 and now use FCPX.
I didn't like iMovie much or FCP7 and sure FCPX may look like iMovie Pro but is defiantly much more then that.

I believe when you say it's not mature enough to replace FCP7 but does that mean it can't grow to something amazing? Did you use FCPX enough to really give it a change and see its possibilities?
Old 21st August 2012
  #55
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Here's a new one I am drooling over


Old 21st August 2012
  #56
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
He hasn't posted ANYTHING since 2007...doubt we'll be hearing from him now. Unless he stopped posting because nobody responded to this post...
.

He probably hasn't posted since 2007 because Vista was so bad he couldn't even get on the web with that POS OS.

.
Old 21st August 2012
  #57
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
FCPX is a new way of editing. (some like it after getting used to others don't) Since the release it has gotten some updates with great features. FCPX is anything but a joke and a very serious tool for video editors. FCPX really is a big deal for Apple but they made the mistake of releasing it to early. I'll bet they don't wanna make that mistake with Logic or other Pro apps again.

Logic is taking very long which could mean 2 things.
1. Apple doesn't care anymore.
2. Apple is building on something new from the ground up which will take a lot time to get it right.

I still believe there is a great future ahead with Apple and their Pro applications.
.

Honestly, I don't think the pro applications make very much money for Apple, so I wouldn't necessarily be holding my breath.

It's such a small niche market compared to their big selling products, and they've become so mainstream, I just don't know if it makes any financial sense anymore.

Consumer applications seem to be doing fine for the masses.

Everyone and their mothers are music and film producers now - using the most basic **** available.

Apple may just continue to up the quality of their consumer apps, and bail on the high end stuff, which is just too much of a PITA to support, and doesn't net them any real cash.

They're certainly not catering to their professional users now.

We'll see.

In the meantime, I'm a super happy Win 7 user, and looking forward to Win 8.

.
Old 21st August 2012
  #58
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
There is always a better way and its never perfect.
Sticking to what you already know and already use didn't change. If you got FCP7 you can still use it.
I'm kinda new to editing on a pro level. I've owned FCP7 and now use FCPX.
I didn't like iMovie much or FCP7 and sure FCPX may look like iMovie Pro but is defiantly much more then that.

I believe when you say it's not mature enough to replace FCP7 but does that mean it can't grow to something amazing? Did you use FCPX enough to really give it a change and see its possibilities?
I used it for about a month, and discovered that I wasn't working better or faster, just different, so I had to shift my thinking for a lateral move with no benefits. And yeah, it's a lot more than iMovie, and actually capable of pro level work, as long as they've added multiple camera capabilities.

Thing is, I love Macs because they do the tedious work for you, but I like that in an OS, not in an app. I had a beta of FC when it first came out, and I was amazed that they didn't follow their own model, but just imitated AVID MC's architecture to a large extent. I think they owe their early success to that move. If they'd come out with this model in 2000, FC would never have penetrated the pro market significantly.

Not saying it's a bad app, just very different and no better, although the fact that it'll open iMovie files, but not FCP files speaks volumes about Apple's motivations. They're clearly after a consumer market with this. If they pick up a few pros, cool, but not a focus for them, IMO.
Old 25th August 2012
  #59
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Here's a new one I am drooling over


Hilarious and true.
Old 25th August 2012
  #60
Lives for gear
 
MikeTSH's Avatar
Mixerlmike posted some crackers, must have been a troll for sure.

On "The Loudness Wars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerlMike
Younger kids hear higher frequencies so that is why it is nessecary for Cds to have a higher volume.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump