The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
harummpfff! What does he mean . . .?
Old 17th January 2007
Deleted c40a31f
harummpfff! What does he mean . . .?

In this thread on R.E.P. :http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/15124/0/ Fletcher said :
Quote:
I would suggest you try a whole bunch of different things, not lock yourself into the whole "Gearslutz fashion bull****" that has become so rampant in the internet reader slice of the audio production industry and figure out what units will actually work best for your goals and sense of aesthetic.
Now, besides sounding a little miffed for some reason, the statement doesn't make sense to me. If there is a 'fashion' trend to Gearslutz at all, as far as I can tell it's to own at least one of absolutely every peice of equipment in existance! (along with paying full price on several advanced orders of future items). This is an attitude I whole heartedly support mind and body! (I'd include 'soul' too but I traded that away to the credit card companies long ago! )

So, what better way to find out what works best for you if you have EVERYTHING at your disposal??? What say ye good people of the slutty gear?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I think Fletcher has spent so much time here and on other forums over the years that he has unintentionally yet systematically calculated every piece of gear ever suggested for use by anyone, averaged them out, and created an imaginary rack in his head. I think this is the "fashion statement" that he's referring to. All in all, it's good advice, and I don't think he meant anything derogatory to any one group of people in particular, despite the name reference.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Fletcher is talking about the "rules" that can be imparted upon people here sometimes. That this sucks and that's great. He's saying find what you love through your own experiences, and find what works in your place at that time. That's what is really important.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Of course the guy's miffed...It's Fletcher. He hates it when anyone anywhere posts the generic question.. "what's the best pre", "what's the best converter", "what's the best toothpaste" etc.

However... I have noticed of late...on some forums...that he'll actually sometimes chime in and list three or four specific models of widgets to try for a particular application that posters ask about. I'm actually surprised! It's so unlike him! But cool nonetheless.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear
He's right. Don't take offense. Carry on.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Not really. He's probably responding to them because he happens to have the said peice in his studio and is trying it out and digging it. After you've heard 10 billion "what's the best" questions over the years, you tend to crack every once in a while in an attempt to regain what little sanity you have left up in the old noggin. It's like flushing the toilet on a fishing weekend that's been worked out on and left full all weekend.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Plus it ties into Mercenary's return policy of allowing you to shoot out a handful of gear and make your own opinion and send back the rest, rather than just blindly spending a couple of g's... It's a killer policy... especially when you hear, for example, certain claims about items such as... c42s sounding like km84s! You might just want to make that determination yourself... both nice mics, but ...
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
In this thread on R.E.P. :http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/15124/0/ Fletcher said :

Now, besides sounding a little miffed for some reason, the statement doesn't make sense to me. If there is a 'fashion' trend to Gearslutz at all, as far as I can tell it's to own at least one of absolutely every peice of equipment in existance! (along with paying full price on several advanced orders of future items). This is an attitude I whole heartedly support mind and body! (I'd include 'soul' too but I traded that away to the credit card companies long ago! )

So, what better way to find out what works best for you if you have EVERYTHING at your disposal??? What say ye good people of the slutty gear?
Mmmm... Now, let me say, this is my favorite place to converse about gear and recording technology. There are some GREAT people here, including some genuine living legends.

But -- as would only be expected in such a heavily trafficked, highly charged info bazaar -- there are occasional currents of ill-informed buzz, a certain faddishness of thought among some, a tendency to pass along the unexamined opinions of others as though it were fact grounded in their own experience. (And I include myself among the sinners.)

But, hey, that's people for you. It's just a byproduct of a whole lot of people who are really passionate about recording and music and impatient to get on with doing it... yet who seem to spend a whole lot of time talking about it, too. heh
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Mmmm... Now, let me say, this is my favorite place to converse about gear and recording technology. There are some GREAT people here, including some genuine living legends.

But -- as would only be expected in such a heavily trafficked, highly charged info bazaar -- there are occasional currents of ill-informed buzz, a certain faddishness of thought among some, a tendency to pass along the unexamined opinions of others as though it were fact grounded in their own experience. (And I include myself among the sinners.)

But, hey, that's people for you. It's just a byproduct of a whole lot of people who are really passionate about recording and music and impatient to get on with doing it... yet who seem to spend a whole lot of time talking about it, too. heh
Great great post man! Yep that is it.

Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

There are a couple of other factors one of which is I beleive Jules had to step in recently and slapped him with a temporary ban (or so I saw Fletch post) - so Fletch might be on a bit of a GS Funk.

Who knows, but I find it fascinating that here we are talking about Fletcher even when he posts on another site....The Cult of Personality, ya gott a love it.

Something tells me I wouldn't yield the same reaction if I posted the same thing on the REP forum. heh
Old 17th January 2007
To add my 2 cents which is worth.... exactly 2 cents......

I think what Fletcher is talking about is the flavor of the month gear craze that sweeps the site from time to time and the whole "What should I do with my $" and "This Vs. That" threads. I gotta tell ya I feel the same way about these threads myself and I am probably guilty of posting my share.

Right now as I type this there are (my apologies to the thread starters, nothing personal)....

bae 312 vs. api 3124
Tascam vs. MOTU word clock
Which Clock: Mutec iClock or Apogee Big Ben?
Manley mic pre vs Chandler mic pre

(and my personal favorite)

Wagener Mandatory Gear

Without reading any of these threads I can tell you the answer to these burning questions.

1) do a search and 2) WTF does it matter what I think, or some guy on the South Pole thinks or even what Michael Wagener thinks (and I say that with the utmost respect for Michael, he is an amazing resource to have here at GS).

Now the good threads out number the fluff 10 to 1. As I type there are also these threads as well.

Does the Wunder PA4 Come with a Power Supply?
How much is an amek 9098i worth?
my review of the focal sm-8 (warning: contains some gushing)
Help! My bass traps have muddied things up.

... and more....

Not only are these threads informative they are exactly what keeps me coming back to GS year after year. I want to learn and to share knowledge.

That said the thing that Fletcher misses on the "negative" threads is that there is plenty of positive info shared after one gets over the title of the thread in question.

The other thing that I think Fletcher is complaining about is the "I bought this so it is the best thing in the world and you should have it too" mentality here at times.

Plenty of gear gets hyped as the next big thing and the masses go crazy about it (of whic Fletcher is guilty of as well). I am not saying that the gear is not worthy of the hype, the problem is that some (many?) folks don't try the gear with a jumping off point. They have not tried other units to see what other flavors are out there.... in the end they say "this is the best" without even knowing what competition has to offer because of an anonymous post on a web forum.

What can you do..... ahhh humans.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I can understand Fletchers frustrations, after all he is trying to help. Hitting a constant brick wall of new people that not only dont listen to advice, but hyperventilate about gear before they even know how to mix well, can make you act nutz!

LSS, early last year, a rapper came to our store. After explaining for 10 minutes that the "mic" isnt going to make him sound like "12 pac", or whatever his name is, he asked me again what mic would make him sound like him?!?!?

Brick walls suck, and you have to make the decision to avoid them at some point. If you dont your forehead will be sore.
Old 17th January 2007
Deleted c40a31f
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Who knows, but I find it fascinating that here we are talking about Fletcher even when he posts on another site....The Cult of Personality, ya gott a love it.
Heh, yes, probably my own situation too. Because of the snow and ice around here lately (and the kind of car and tires I have) I haven't really gone anywhere in about 5 days. Cabin fever is setting in and I guess I wanted to mix it up a bit or something.

I tried to post over on REP but my user ID no longer exists. Must of been too long since I posted over there or??? After trying a few password combinations and doing a search for any old posts of mine I concluded that I've been wiped from the face of ProSoundWeb so I thought I would sign up again. But my internet security started complaining that I had tried something too many times so I gave up and came over here to stir things up! Seems to have worked . . it only bearly . . .
Old 17th January 2007

Why do we have to have a thread & analyze one man's post on another forum? Who cares... Let's talk about gear...
Old 17th January 2007
Deleted c40a31f
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Why do we have to have a thread & analyze one man's post on another forum? Who cares... Let's talk about gear...
Hey, I feel I explained my actions in the post above!
Old 17th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
Hey, I feel I explained my actions in the post above!
Yeah, but someone had to come in with the obligatory "who cares", right? heh
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
There are a couple of other factors one of which is I believe Jules had to step in recently and slapped him with a temporary ban (or so I saw Fletch post) - so Fletch might be on a bit of a GS Funk.

Who knows,
I do! He was unable to use the PM system for a few days. This was resolved quickly once it was brought to my attenton. No 'ban'.

I get about one email a week from someone complaining that they have been 'banned' when in fact they haven't. (There is some 'voodoo' in the system and I periodically have to get under the hood of Gearslutz and fix something that wasn't done by any of the site admin or moderators.. namely - manually switching people over from Awaiting email Confirmation status, back to Registered.
Attached Thumbnails
harummpfff!  What does he mean . . .?-curtain.gif  
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

On topic, I think you will simply find that he is reffering to the syndrome of "fashionable" gear purchases as against gear purchased by someone after using a certain piece of gear and deciding (independantly) that it is what they want irrespective of "forum" opinions. To pin this syndrome on Gearslutz is unfair as in truth it happens in all audio forums, it just happens that Gearslutz is the largest and probably most widely read on the web, making it easy to generalize about.

Regards

Roland
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

So all this time Jules was the man behind the curtain... I just knew it!

From now on I'm going to refer to you as the "Great and Terrible Jules."

-Rich

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search