The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
"Hey Ya!" Rip-off on car commercial & food network
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

"Hey Ya!" Rip-off on car commercial & food network

Anybody heard it yet? I've heard it on a car commercial (forget which) and then the same song on a food network show. It's pretty blatant. Pretty much the same thing, only it stays in 4/4 the entire time and doesn't have Andre singing over it.
Old 14th January 2007
welcome to soundalikes.

There's good money if you can do them.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Why can't the car commercials record and perform their own songs?
Well, it depends on the ad agency - sometimes they're so in love with a track, but they can't afford to license it, so they do the next best thing. They can be fun to work on - I had to knock off Usher's "Yeah" a few years back for a radio spot, and that was (relatively) easy money. I agree with you though, an original piece - even a jingle - is ultimately more satisfying to do, especially when an agency is willing to back off and let you do your thing...

My buddy and I used to play "Guess the temp track" when we were channel-surfing.
I'm thinking that every TV producer in North America loves Massive Attack.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

There's another car commercial (Lexus?) where the temp was clearly Morphine. I love playing "guess the temp track."

For a while though, some 6, 7 years back, it was too easy - everything was a Thomas Newman American Beauty rip-off. But now it's fun again!

The worst rip-off (because it's so pathetic compared to the original) is that shampoo "woo-hoo" song... ripped straight from the late 90's! And they've been using it forever!

Anyway, fun game.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search