The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Age of Smurfed synths
Old 30th September 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

The Age of Smurfed synths

Looking on recent releases of Yamaha Reface, Roland Boutique, Novation Circuit I see a trend:



1. Smurfed HW/VA
2. Generic HW/VA sound
3. Payed marketing campaign - blogs and forums are filled with payed trolls
4. Underage fanboys
5. Analog heritage sale

WTF is going on with the market? Why instead of Analogue Renaissance we're living in the age of smurfed synths?

Last edited by redloheb; 1st October 2015 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: smurfed
Old 30th September 2015
  #2
Gear Addict
 
KazRemark's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
WTF is going on with the market? Why instead of Analogue Renaissance we're living in the age of smurfed synths?
Sure seems like we are swimming in options this year compared to five or ten or fifteen years ago.
Old 30th September 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazRemark View Post
Sure seems like we are swimming in options this year compared to five or ten or fifteen years ago.
Not really.

Say, poly synths has only ONE option: DSI Prophet 5.
Old 30th September 2015
  #4
Gear Addict
 
KazRemark's Avatar
 

Modal, Studio Electronics, Modor, DSI, Futuresonus, Roland, Elektron all come to mind as offering some kind of Analog/Hybrid polysynth that looks at least mildly interesting compared to what you could have bought new a few years ago.
Old 30th September 2015
  #5
Lives for gear
 
skyshaver's Avatar
 

1.What does "smurfed" mean?
2. What do you mean by "generic"? Which genre? The VA genre? A Reface CS sounds like a Virus C?
3. You honestly think major international corporations give an f what happens on audio forums?
4. How many "underage fanboys" have $500+ laying around for synths? Also, what do you mean by "underage"? Age of majority varies globally.
5. I don't understand this at all. Heritage analog gear is more expensive than ever.
6. If you agree with Chomsky why are you talking about consumer goods in an online forum littered with advertising? Do you think that is an activity he would deem beneficial to society or the discourse on capitalism and democracy in the modern age?
7. Why am I feeding a troll?
8. Am I the troll?
9. Freaky
Old 30th September 2015
  #6
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Not really.

Say, poly synths has only ONE option: DSI Prophet 5.
Put the bong down, son. First off, there is no such thing as a DSI Prophet 5. You may be thinking of the DSI Sequential Prophet 6.

Second...

Modal Modulus .008
Studio Electronics C.O.D.E. and Omega 8
Elektron Analog Four
Akai Timbre Wolf
DSI Tetra and MoPho 4x
Future Sonos Parva (coming soon?)

Those are just the analogs I can think of off the top of my head.

That said, I too am disappointed with the current crop of budget range instruments. They seem to be hobbled by useless (to me) forms and/or oddly limited by either low voice count or lack of expressive options. The other day I actually heard some Yamaha Reface CS demos that made me think, "Oh, well I could deal with that stupid minikey thing and just use it as a module, it sounds great..." only to find that for something that was herald by Yamaha as the second coming of the CS80, it does not even respond to velocity or aftertouch even via MIDI. Fail.

...but no matter. There are plenty of other fish (see above) in the sea.
Old 30th September 2015
  #7
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazRemark View Post
Modal, Studio Electronics, Modor, DSI, Futuresonus, Roland, Elektron all come to mind as offering some kind of Analog/Hybrid polysynth that looks at least mildly interesting compared to what you could have bought new a few years ago.
Oh right, add Roland's JD-Xa to my list of analog polys.

I didn't even think about hybrids. The Modal .002 is still calling to me. It haunts me! I also love, and get quite analogesque sounds, out of my Prophet 12.
Old 30th September 2015
  #8
Gear Nut
 

There is a ton of new boutique analog equipment out there. The problem is that people want instant gratification and cheap is what sells.
Old 30th September 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Put the bong down, son.
Love you too, father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
First off, there is no such thing as a DSI Prophet 5. You may be thinking of the DSI Sequential Prophet 6.
Father, please stop showing off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Modal Modulus .008
Studio Electronics C.O.D.E. and Omega 8
Elektron Analog Four
Akai Timbre Wolf
DSI Tetra and MoPho 4x
Future Sonos Parva (coming soon?)
What was announced this year and going to be released:
* Parva -- unfortunately looks like would be here in 2016.
* Modulus 8 -- neither you, nor I can afford it

The rest are not 2015 or timbre wolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
That said, I too am disappointed with the current crop of budget range instruments. They seem to be hobbled by useless (to me) forms and/or oddly limited by either low voice count or lack of expressive options.
Yes, I want affordable vco-poly. But it looks like I would rather save and give my money to DSI rather buy lot of ****ty smurfed boxes and never use them/sell fast.
I mean there would be a choice if Parva was publicly available. But it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
The other day I actually heard some Yamaha Reface CS demos that made me think, "Oh, well I could deal with that stupid minikey thing and just use it as a module, it sounds great..." only to find that for something that was herald by Yamaha as the second coming of the CS80, it does not even respond to velocity or aftertouch even via MIDI. Fail.
OMG Yamaha re-faece looks like true failure. Misquoting someone from GS "it doesn't respond vel or at anywhere: on sofa and it the kitchen, in bus and even in park" =)
Old 30th September 2015
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbhfam View Post
There is a ton of new boutique analog equipment out there. The problem is that people want instant gratification and cheap is what sells.
I think you mean that nobody makes money with music anymore and this entire generation of young people are underemployed, underpaid, starved by the inflated cost of all necessities, and crushed by student loan debt.

IOW it's really hard to scrape together $5,000 for a professional grade synth for the overwhelming majority of people in the synth buying demographic.
Old 30th September 2015
  #11
Lives for gear
 
hgigh's Avatar
This guy must have a lot of pull in the industry

Old 30th September 2015
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Put the bong down, son.
Pick the bong up old man.
Old 30th September 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 
syntonica's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgigh View Post
This guy must have a lot of pull in the industry

I don't know about you, but I still wanna smurfing smurf what the smurf smurfed smurfs!
Old 1st October 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgigh View Post
This guy must have a lot of pull in the industry
Thanks for the image!!!
Old 1st October 2015
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Why don't they just make a bunch of dongles, with mini keys on a keychain?
Old 1st October 2015
  #16
Lives for gear
 
shadowfac's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatupdoe? View Post
I think you mean that nobody makes money with music anymore and this entire generation of young people are underemployed, underpaid, starved by the inflated cost of all necessities, and crushed by student loan debt.

IOW it's really hard to scrape together $5,000 for a professional grade synth for the overwhelming majority of people in the synth buying demographic.
This is very true. It's much easier to sell a $500 synth to 1000 people than to sell a $5000 synth to 100 people. In the 90's and 00's we had the groovebox concept to fill this niche. Now it's the mini-keyboard concept. Thanks microKorg!
Old 1st October 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
 

The Analogue Renaissance is reaching it's peak, just need a few more poly.

Next up is the Time of Pocket(backpack?) Studios/the Mobile Revolution, or wtv, and that's what you're seeing in those products. And it's just starting
Old 1st October 2015
  #18
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
The Analogue Renaissance is reaching it's peak, just need a few more poly.
There are still a lot of going on in analog world. Synths like Dom 1 were released only this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Next up is the Time of Pocket(backpack?) Studios/the Mobile Revolution, or wtv, and that's what you're seeing in those products. And it's just starting
I think backpack studios are available for years and they are really budget now
laptop + bitwig/ableton/reaper + grid control

So we're talking about different markets here
Old 1st October 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

More smurfed synths


Old 1st October 2015
  #20
I think it attracts musicians who perform in rave clubs and to those who want good sounds without having to break their budgets. Some just prefer lots of small synths to play them in unison with a controller/sequencer. If all the smaller synths bother you, it seems pointless to whine about them. Just don't buy them. There's more than plenty of full size boards to keep everyone occupied.
Old 1st October 2015
  #21
Lives for gear
 
kirkelein's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
More smurfed synths[/IMG]
That smurf's a regular Jens Johansson shredding with the keyboard turned backwards like that!
Old 1st October 2015
  #22
Lives for gear
 
hgigh's Avatar


Looks like nord is getting into the smurf synth game from this leaked image I found
Old 1st October 2015
  #23
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Pick the bong up old man.
I wish I liked it, but it always just makes me feel dumb and puts me into a really bad mood 2 days later. I was always more of a psychedelic guy. I'm over it now though.
Old 1st October 2015
  #24
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Love you too, father.


Father, please stop showing off!


What was announced this year and going to be released:
* Parva -- unfortunately looks like would be here in 2016.
* Modulus 8 -- neither you, nor I can afford it

The rest are not 2015 or timbre wolf.


Yes, I want affordable vco-poly. But it looks like I would rather save and give my money to DSI rather buy lot of ****ty smurfed boxes and never use them/sell fast.
I mean there would be a choice if Parva was publicly available. But it doesn't.


OMG Yamaha re-faece looks like true failure. Misquoting someone from GS "it doesn't respond vel or at anywhere: on sofa and it the kitchen, in bus and even in park" =)
Yeah, giant fail. I'm optimistically thinking of all these synths as "baby steps" and the real flat out poly analog (or great VA) sprint will happen later.
Old 1st October 2015
  #25
Lives for gear
 
NoHo Kid's Avatar
 

I hate all this mini bull****
Old 1st October 2015
  #26
Lives for gear
 
NoHo Kid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Yeah, giant fail. I'm optimistically thinking of all these synths as "baby steps" and the real flat out poly analog (or great VA) sprint will happen later.
nahhhh...the music that spawned the analog revolution is waning fast with the mases, if not completely waned already...analog goes with hipster and it's going away...not saying that's what WE all use it for but that's the market
Old 1st October 2015
  #27
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHo Kid View Post
nahhhh...the music that spawned the analog revolution is waning fast with the mases, if not completely waned already...analog goes with hipster and it's going away...not saying that's what WE all use it for but that's the market
No doubt that hipsters are a decent segment of the market, but I think it's much less than you imagine. Also, hipsters have been around a long time and I don't think they're putting away their mustache wax any time soon.
Old 1st October 2015
  #28
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Smurfed is right..


Old 1st October 2015
  #29
Lives for gear
 

I think it's smurfing smurfy how smurfed up smurfs get over the lack of cheap smurf with high smurf smurfies.

Like, do you get smurfy, smurf, because you can't smurf a new Honda for the smurf of a used Kia?

Did smurfs in the 80s smurf about smurfy Casios?

Smurf, I wish smurfything in smurf was smurf but that's not smurfy.
Old 1st October 2015
  #30
Lives for gear
 
DesolationBlvd's Avatar
Almost as bad as mini-keys is having only 4 voices. Might be okay for percussive sounds, but far too little for pads, so I assume it's to allow for four monophonic lines noodling away. What's the point? Why not just multi-track a mono?

As for the "Roland Boutique" things, I assume they just want you to buy two to get full polyphony...

Last edited by DesolationBlvd; 1st October 2015 at 06:13 PM..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump