The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One of the things I learned from the Keith Richards documentary
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

One of the things I learned from the Keith Richards documentary

"Under the Influence" on Netflix -

I need a guitar caddy.

This is a great film, btw. Gave me a whole new perspective on him.
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Good or bad? After reading his autobiography "Life" I dislike him.
Old 20th September 2015
Gear Guru

I only got about 20 minutes into that documentary and got bored and turned it off. Does it get better afterward? Would like to hear some actual guitar playing, or reflections on music.
Old 20th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
.... some actual guitar playing, or reflections on music.
I can tell you, that kind of elitist attitude... not in tune with these times, at all.
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

I'm not a big Stones fan and just know mostly the popular stories. I assumed he was kind of shallow and arrogant, and ripped off all the Blues guys. But I learned different, got a more accurate picture of what he is about.

Buddy Guy says in the film that The Stones were the only reason they didn't all die in obscurity.

Not that it made me any more of a Stones music fan.
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Isn't that the guy from those pirate movies ?

Old 20th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I can tell you, that kind of elitist attitude... not in tune with these times, at all.
Keith Richards was sampling Muddy Waters before there were samplers. It's a shame that it took so much heroin to do it right. You'd think bourbon would have worked.
Old 21st September 2015
Are you... telling me what I ought to think?
Old 21st September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Likey View Post
I'm not a big Stones fan and just know mostly the popular stories. I assumed he was kind of shallow and arrogant, and ripped off all the Blues guys. But I learned different, got a more accurate picture of what he is about.

Buddy Guy says in the film that The Stones were the only reason they didn't all die in obscurity.
Paul Buttefield band and Clapton had a huge hand in this also, maybe more than the Stones.
Old 21st September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are you... telling me what I ought to think?
No. I'm putting my thoughts in you. It's more like telepathy. Except over the Internet. With bourbon.
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds dirty
Old 21st September 2015
I'm all about the dirty. Looking forward to more of the same... can I get a little rum, next time?
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

Not to worry, monsoon come.
Old 22nd September 2015
Gear Guru

The only rum I have is only good for cooking. But I'll make you some cookies with it.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

I like the Ginger Baker doc better, amongst the old-timers rock n roll archive club ...
But, seriously the Jared Leto 30 secs 2 mars doc "artifact" gives a great look for anyone just what you, as an artist, might mean to someone like Hand at EMI. (formerly emi) A good watch to see the bizz in action over at netflix.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
Isn't that the guy from those pirate movies ?

(golf clap)
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I like the Ginger Baker doc better, amongst the old-timers rock n roll archive club ...
Hated it. I mean, HATED it! I don't care how good he is, just hated it/him.

Quote:
But, seriously the Jared Leto 30 secs 2 mars doc "artifact" gives a great look for anyone just what you, as an artist, might mean to someone like Hand at EMI. (formerly emi) A good watch to see the bizz in action over at netflix.
Loved it! Very inspirational watching the drama unfold with them making the record at the same time. Man, I wish I was that guy!!!!!

@KR: He grosses me out. He's the guy you hope you don't sit next to on the plane trip.
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

I thought the Ginger Baker thing was interesting. Claptons cool, detached interview in it was telling.
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Guru

I liked the Ginger Baker movie. Seems like a strange old guy. Well, he was a pretty strange young guy, too. But I liked seeing him a year or so ago. It wasn't a spectacular show. He could barely make it onto the stage and off again. I mean, literally, he had people helping him into his seat. But somehow he was able to show why he's a great drummer. It was really informed playing. He has an incredibly wide and rich vocabulary.

Ginger seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way. And I mean other than everybody who meets him. I'm sure they all have a good reason to hate him. But he's never screwed me over personally, so I'm content to appreciate him for his playing. He's not gonna crash on my couch, after all.
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Guru

I liked the Ginger Baker movie. Seems like a strange old guy. Well, he was a pretty strange young guy, too. But I liked seeing him a year or so ago. It wasn't a spectacular show. He could barely make it onto the stage and off again. I mean, literally, he had people helping him into his seat. But somehow he was able to show why he's a great drummer. It was really informed playing. He has an incredibly wide and rich vocabulary.

Ginger seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way. And I mean other than everybody who meets him. I'm sure they all have a good reason to hate him. But he's never screwed me over personally, so I'm content to appreciate him for his playing. He's not gonna crash on my couch, after all.
Old 23rd September 2015
Pardon me, could you repeat that?
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Guru

Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Old 24th September 2015
Lives for gear

Seems unclear...
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Guru

What I'm saying is that enjoyed the recent movie about Ginger Baker. He seems to be pretty eccentric in his old age. On the other hand, he has always been pretty eccentric. I enjoyed a concert of his during his 2014 Why? tour. It wasn't the best concert I've been to, and had some significant shortcomings. He seemed physically strained by the task of performing. He had to have people assist him to get on and off stage again. But a lot of his ability and talent as a drummer was on display. His understanding of world rhythms is an integral part of his music. He's not limited to the standard rock drummer tropes.

A lot of people take a deep personal offense at Ginger. And I mean people who have not met him individually. I don't doubt that his personal acquaintences have grown weary of his antics. I have not had an individual encounter with him, so I'm really only interested in evaluating him on a musical level. He's not gonna crash on my couch, after all.
Old 24th September 2015
Lives for gear

You win the internet
Old 25th September 2015
The thing that worries me is that one day, he may crash on my couch!!!!
Old 25th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
The thing that worries me is that one day, he may crash on my couch!!!!
I don't understand. Are you worried about him crashing on your couch, or are you worried about the possibility of him crashing on your couch? Because I assure you, the universe is completely deterministic, and either it's possible and he will, or its impossible and he won't.
Old 25th September 2015
But how can you be sure?!?
Old 26th September 2015
Lives for gear

I need some drum tracks recorded. I hope he flops here for a few days.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search