The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One of the things I learned from the Keith Richards documentary
Old 27th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I liked the Ginger Baker movie. Seems like a strange old guy. Well, he was a pretty strange young guy, too. But I liked seeing him a year or so ago. It wasn't a spectacular show. He could barely make it onto the stage and off again. I mean, literally, he had people helping him into his seat. But somehow he was able to show why he's a great drummer. It was really informed playing. He has an incredibly wide and rich vocabulary.

Ginger seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way. And I mean other than everybody who meets him. I'm sure they all have a good reason to hate him. But he's never screwed me over personally, so I'm content to appreciate him for his playing. He's not gonna crash on my couch, after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Pardon me, could you repeat that?

Took me a couple of seconds to understand, then it even happened again!

It's not about his playing. That was fantastic. It's about HIM. I'm sick of ****ty people being the most important ones (rant rant blah, get off my lawn, etc)
Old 27th September 2015
Gear Maniac
i have a makeshift recording studio in my living room and didn't have room for a couch - so, no ginger baker for me
Old 28th September 2015
Lives for gear

Full circle then, (end) thread
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Guru

So, if you're like me, and have always wanted a good reason to despise Ginger Baker, but felt it was wrong to judge a man you've never met, here's an opportunity of a lifetime ...

Attached Thumbnails
One of the things I learned from the Keith Richards documentary-rrfc_gingerbaker.jpg  

Last edited by kafka; 30th September 2015 at 12:31 AM..
Old 30th September 2015
Ewwwwwww... barf-o-matic, man.
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ewwwwwww... barf-o-matic, man.
I'm gonna do it, and then I'm gonna pay some sherpas to drag me and my s**t to the top of Mount Everest.
Old 30th September 2015
Lives for gear

That makes want to quit music completely.
Old 30th September 2015
Lives for gear

I already got my tickets !!!

I'm gonna be in cream and csny !!
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
But how can you be sure?!?
I'm pretty sure this proves it conclusively. Doesn't it make you glad Jim Morrison is dead?

Last edited by kafka; 30th September 2015 at 11:13 AM..
Old 1st October 2015
Prepares him for sainthood, that's some consolation anyway...
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry Kafka, your Ginger Baker tale isn't very clear, could you rephrase please?
Old 9th October 2015
And now that I think about it... they're knighting all those old rocker has-been's left 'n' right... so are we talking about Sir Ginger?
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
so are we talking about Sir Ginger?
I think I ordered that at a sushi bar last week.
Old 9th October 2015
A popular item!
Attached Thumbnails
One of the things I learned from the Keith Richards documentary-ginger-sushi_zpskizuf8ud.jpg  
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Yikes! Does he squeal, "Help me. Help me!" as you drench him in soy and wasabi?
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

I asked my sushi guy "what is this green stuff on my sushi plate?"
He said "wassabee?"
I said " a bee is a small yellow and black insect, what is this green stuff?"
He said "wassabee?"
I said "you know...bzzz bzzz....make honey...but what is this green stuff?"

This went on for an hour.
I still dont know what that green stuff is, and I dont think he knows where honey comes from.
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
And now that I think about it... they're knighting all those old rocker has-been's left 'n' right... so are we talking about Sir Ginger?
Something tells me that would not impress him.
Old 9th October 2015
It'd impress him if he got the whole get-up, the sword and the suit of armor, and the horse with the thick flappie things... do they still do that?
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

I get it, he gets his Ginger bread on payday
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Guru

You know, Ginger can ride a horse really well. He'd probably make a better knight than David Gilmour.
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Blasphemer!
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know, Ginger can ride a horse really well. He'd probably make a better knight than David Gilmour.
But Gilmour can conjure all manner of moats with his houseboat
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Half of the population around here would turn their nose up at Astoria...lol
Old 10th October 2015
People with hazy memories of the 60's will insist that he really ought to be in white satin...
Attached Thumbnails
One of the things I learned from the Keith Richards documentary-sir-ginger_zpsicscybyv.jpg  
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Guru

Where did I put my little gold spoon?

Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, if you're like me, and have always wanted a good reason to despise Ginger Baker, but felt it was wrong to judge a man you've never met, here's an opportunity of a lifetime ...

I looked up the word dorkfest in Oxford OED, and "Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp" came up...

Oddly, coincidentally, predictably, I could see this being right up the alley, and in the proverbial wheelhouse for a good segment of GS denizenry.
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

And if you pay for the premium service you get a free 1/2 hour with Pamella Des Barres. (bring your own lube.)
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

His music isn't for the faint of heart. His own music. Really though I'd rather hear he's alive and attention is being given to him, because I'm living proof of modern heart procedures. Like him I quit tobacco a month or two before, and switched to the eCigs. When I came out of surgery I was vaping with the cardiologist and he didn't say a word. But after having stents put in my heart, did I feel GREAT! Never took any feel-good meds then or since.

Reminded me of a tube amp, you don't realize how degraded it's gotten and a new set of tubes freshens everything up.

*Pamella Des Barres... as a sidenote, you'l notice music didn't actually get worse with digital, it was only good music if the artist was dating Pamela... Now does it make sense?
Old 1st December 2019
Lives for gear

RIP Ginger Baker
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search