The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i hate auto-tune and it has taken over. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpakka View Post
I stopped using AutoTune years ago. These days I use VariAudio in Nuendo.
Ha!
I have a feeling that's not what NAJ89 meant!
Old 31st December 2015
Here for the gear

I hate auto tune and lip sync. I am not going to pay money to hear a fake. It is just like any real professional job. if you do not have the top skills for the job your out the door. And do all the guys look like girls now? I feel for the ladies of the future they will have not men with testosterone to pick from.

If everyone would stop buying the crappy auto tuned crap their trying to pass off as real music. And stop watching the TV shows were they just lip sync to the songs. They would have to find people with real talent that can really sing in tune without computerized assistance and play real instruments instead of computer digital beats. Because if people don't but it... or watch the shows they loose the money... The consumer has the power. But unfortunately the world is full of followers with very few leaders that are scared to stand up against the status quo. What every Maine media says in the new big thing. The followers just latch on. Even the lyrics suck. ...lol
Old 31st December 2015
Here for the gear

I hate auto tune and lip sync. I am not going to pay money to hear a fake. It is just like any real professional job. if you do not have the top skills for the job your out the door. And do all the guys look like girls now? I feel for the ladies of the future they will have not men with testosterone to pick from.

If everyone would stop buying the crappy auto tuned crap their trying to pass off as real music. And stop watching the TV shows were they just lip sync to the songs. They would have to find people with real talent that can really sing in tune without computerized assistance and play real instruments instead of computer digital beats. Because if people don't but it... or watch the shows they loose the money... The consumer has the power. But unfortunately the world is full of followers with very few leaders that are scared to stand up against the status quo. What every Maine media says in the new big thing. The followers just latch on. Even the lyrics suck. ...lol
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

It's the end of the year push guys!

Not the neckro of the year though.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

time for a bump on this one. over-used autotune (and similar fx) continue to ruin the world.
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshelevator View Post
time for a bump on this one. over-used autotune (and similar fx) continue to ruin the world.
Really? Just lately, world-ruining has been kicked up a notch, to the point where it's becoming frighteningly literal.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

My wife and I are staying in a nice hotel in Montreal tonight. The music (?!) over the PA all through the hotel is, I guess, Top 40. All auto tuned, all AYY-OHH AYY-OHH, all mastered to +1dB, all mindless drivel. I told the front desk person I thought the soundtrack was perfect for 16 year old girls, if that's who their primary clientele is.
I don't give a flying pug that this aural diabetes actually exists, but I hate that people in charge of otherwise respectable businesses deem it appropriate to shower the public with this soul-crushing noise.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
My wife and I are staying in a nice hotel in Montreal tonight. The music (?!) over the PA all through the hotel is, I guess, Top 40. All auto tuned, all AYY-OHH AYY-OHH, all mastered to +1dB, all mindless drivel. I told the front desk person I thought the soundtrack was perfect for 16 year old girls, if that's who their primary clientele is.
I don't give a flying pug that this aural diabetes actually exists, but I hate that people in charge of otherwise respectable businesses deem it appropriate to shower the public with this soul-crushing noise.
Same at my bank, they have a radio by the teller line playing that drivel. I always turn it off when I go there.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Really? Just lately, world-ruining has been kicked up a notch, to the point where it's becoming frighteningly literal.
Perhaps its all part of the same problem. People not being empathetic toward one another, and people not having a problem with emotionless auto-tune. People not respecting hard-studied expertise, and people being OK with most pop music having lazy robot vocals. A bit of a stretch but...
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshelevator View Post
A bit of a stretch but...
A bit, yeah. :-)

My buddy across the hall's demoing the new UAD/Antares Live AutoTune. Real time tuning with no latency. So now you can make your live performance sound like you're lip-syncing to a backing track.

Backing tracks... that's what's bugging me lately.

Saturday Night Live? No longer live. Ever.

My kid asks to borrow a hundred bucks 'cause his band needs in-ears. Having the backing tracks in the wedges isn't working.

The webcast I mix -- I tell artists that sure, they can work to a track, but they won't get mp3's of the songs afterwards. Why? Because the only two possible outcomes are "just like the record" and "worse than the record."

Milli Vanilli weren't cheaters; they were pioneers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I dont really care about the "it's cheating/not talent" argument. I just dont like how it sounds. But a lot of R&B nowadays in general I cant stand. Like it sounds like romantic music but the lyrics are so graphic, it sounds like someone with a perverted sense of humor making a parody of a song. Or its overly dramatic on words that would normally have no emphasis in a sentence but yet they squint their eyes, ball up their fist and get 37 notes into it. It just doesnt make sense. And a bunch of the songs arent different enough from each other and the melodies are just stale and boring. I think the singing talent nowadays is next level, but as far as creativity and originality it's weak af. Guess I'm just old school.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
A bit, yeah. :-)

My buddy across the hall's demoing the new UAD/Antares Live AutoTune. Real time tuning with no latency. So now you can make your live performance sound like you're lip-syncing to a backing track.

Backing tracks... that's what's bugging me lately.

Saturday Night Live? No longer live. Ever.

My kid asks to borrow a hundred bucks 'cause his band needs in-ears. Having the backing tracks in the wedges isn't working.

The webcast I mix -- I tell artists that sure, they can work to a track, but they won't get mp3's of the songs afterwards. Why? Because the only two possible outcomes are "just like the record" and "worse than the record."

Milli Vanilli weren't cheaters; they were pioneers.

Can you explain your Milli Vanilli comment? I liked their music back in the day but the two guys in the videos who went on tour werent even the vocalists right? They were just the performers and that's why they got in so much trouble, and one killed himself over it right? Sounds like cheating to me. If you're just talking strictly about the music production itself, I'm with you, seemed like an innovative sound I thought.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I don't care. If it sounds good it sounds good. 99% of the time it's done so subtly that unless you're trying to figure out if it's autotune or not you can't hear it within the flow of the song.

I consider myself to be picky this is why I never go to live shows. One missed note or volume drop is like an ear rape and every single live show I've been to made me wanna throw up (from the actual performances of otherwise great singers). Autotune is like a 100000x lesser evil compared to live singing which most people enjoy for some reason.

Autotune is a blessing. Without it there wouldn't be anything to listen to these days.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearobsessed View Post
nooffense....But if we listened to the small audience that hates autotune and we listened to you and not the mass audience...we be broke and out of business its what the mass audience wants not the small of audience and if you don't like it don't listen.
BS
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
I don't care. If it sounds good it sounds good. 99% of the time it's done so subtly that unless you're trying to figure out if it's autotune or not you can't hear it within the flow of the song.

I consider myself to be picky this is why I never go to live shows. One missed note or volume drop is like an ear rape and every single live show I've been to made me wanna throw up (from the actual performances of otherwise great singers). Autotune is like a 100000x lesser evil compared to live singing which most people enjoy for some reason.

Autotune is a blessing. Without it there wouldn't be anything to listen to these days.
More BS
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm asking this in all sincerity: Are you being sarcastic?
If you're not, then I imagine you are not the only one who shares your feelings. It could reflect a really dramatic change in the music-buying demographic - People who expect absolute perfection in a performance.

I'm kinda old, and loved the spontaneity of live performances in the 60s and 70s, warts and all.

So hooray for technology, which has allowed you to enjoy note-perfect music.

(You sure you're not being sarcastic?)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
I'm asking this in all sincerity: Are you being sarcastic?
If you're not, then I imagine you are not the only one who shares your feelings. It could reflect a really dramatic change in the music-buying demographic - People who expect absolute perfection in a performance.

I'm kinda old, and loved the spontaneity of live performances in the 60s and 70s, warts and all.

So hooray for technology, which has allowed you to enjoy note-perfect music.

(You sure you're not being sarcastic?)
I'm not sarcastic. I actually mean that. But I know I'm in minority. Lots of people go to shows. I don't "expect" perfection. It's just that imperfections are like nails on the board, ear grating, cringe-inducing aurable torture to me. That and loud music, I can't tolerate anything over 70dB. And crowds. All of it. But mostly imperfect singing. To me live performance is like raw meat served in a restaurant. It's revolting. Just like all live performances are. The only way you can make me go toa show if I'm promised lip-syncing just so I can watch the artist, not listen to them. Listening is best done with CD and earphone, in all intimate clarity rather than blasting through some POS overdriven PA speakers and resonating through stadium reverb amid incessantly roaring crowd.

Even Cher "Believe"-style autotune artefacts are so much easier to tolerate because they're musical. Ugly but musical. Musical to me equals pitch correct. Pitch correct is more important than anything else. Pitch incorrect = equivalent of ear rape with a sharp stick.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I saw Avril on late night recently.

People can still sing.

Study class at the library bands are on the rise.

They want you to watch them look at a puter and be amazed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm not sarcastic. I actually mean that. But I know I'm in minority. Lots of people go to shows. I don't "expect" perfection. It's just that imperfections are like nails on the board, ear grating, cringe-inducing aurable torture to me. That and loud music, I can't tolerate anything over 70dB. And crowds. All of it. But mostly imperfect singing. To me live performance is like raw meat served in a restaurant. It's revolting. Just like all live performances are. The only way you can make me go toa show if I'm promised lip-syncing just so I can watch the artist, not listen to them. Listening is best done with CD and earphone, in all intimate clarity rather than blasting through some POS overdriven PA speakers and resonating through stadium reverb amid incessantly roaring crowd.

Even Cher "Believe"-style autotune artefacts are so much easier to tolerate because they're musical. Ugly but musical. Musical to me equals pitch correct. Pitch correct is more important than anything else. Pitch incorrect = equivalent of ear rape with a sharp stick.
You sound like you've been doing that to yourself repeatedly for ten years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Listening is best done with CD and earphone, in all intimate clarity rather than blasting through some POS overdriven PA speakers and resonating through stadium reverb amid incessantly roaring crowd.
Heh . . . I remember a few concerts in the 60s that were like that - lousy PA, and amps turned to 13. Most memorable was Blue Cheer. Sort of a precursor band to Heavy Metal and Punk, rolled into one.

Or the otherwise very musical Jefferson Airplane, whose concerts were usually out of tune and out of synch.

But then there are the concerts that shine - and here I make a paean to the Pat Metheny Group, who played their tunes as if right off the album, but live became ecstatically exciting. It can be done. And without Autotune.

Another one was in the 80s, Barbara Mandrell . . . what a show! And that lady don't need no stinkin' Autotune, either.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search