The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate - new products every month, still no FGX fix Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Yes, all of us have moved onto brighter pastures.
Fixed that for ya.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Fixed that for ya.
Haha
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

“Prince Charming, Prince Charming,
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.”
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Well the Slatebot himself has moved on to better pastures too....

But nevertheless... endless email about every other product and everything bundle hustle, if which I am a subscriber. It's a good deal but the fgx2 thing leaves a bad taste and I also just tried UAD's Distressor...

Oh dear.

Zz.
Old 9th February 2018
I've read most of this thread and admit to having had a laugh or two at Steven's expense.

However in his defence, I have to say that the $14:99 per month "everything" bundle has been a total boon for me as an independent musician who has gotten serious about developing my production chops. About 2 years ago, I became completely frustrated trying to find a capable "producer" who could mix my ambient electro-acoustic instrumental music. As a last resort, (and I really do mean "last resort") I ended up doing it myself with Slate's everything bundle. People I showed it to were super impressed.

I then attempted to have this same music mastered and accordingly, sent it off to some mastering folks, to get a sample. What a disappointment that was. When you have the tracks come back with audible clipping on them you have to wonder what these guys are smoking. Again, I ended up having to master the tracks myself -- as a last resort. All told, I'm really happy with how it all turned out. I certainly couldn't have done it as economically as I did without Slate's everything bundle.

Anyway... Not here to kiss the Steven's @ss. Just telling you my honest opinion on Slate digital products. I have no affiliation with him and he doesn't know me from the proverbial bar of soap. Cheers!

Last edited by [email protected]; 9th February 2018 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 9th February 2018
BTW -- did anyone see this?

YouTube

NAMM sent their marching band past the Slate booth in the middle of a presentation...
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
About 2 years ago, I became completely frustrated trying to find a capable "producer" who could mix my ambient electro-acoustic instrumental music.
Should have hired a mix engineer as opposed to a producer to mix your music.

Quote:
I then attempted to have this same music mastered and accordingly, sent it off to some mastering folks, to get a sample. What a disappointment that was. When you have the tracks come back with audible clipping on them you have to wonder what these guys are smoking.
Then you unfortunately chose a bad mastering engineer.

I think I spend more time communicating and having a dialogue with my clients about what they're vision is and what sound they're after, than actually working on their masters.

It's both beneficial to you the client and to the engineer, as you'll spend less time futzing about and get exactly what you're after.

It's a shame that you had such a negative experience, but don't think we're all like that.
Old 9th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Then you unfortunately chose a bad mastering engineer.
Actually I tried three of them. The worst of the three was a guy working out of Abbey Road. When I wrote back and asked why there was clipping on the track, no reply! The best was a guy who advertised on here but when it came back I was convinced it wasn't anything I couldn't achieve myself.

I have no doubt there are amazing mix and mastering guys out there. I just don't happen to know any
Old 9th February 2018
Here for the gear

I love the video, funny!

The best way I found was to send several mastering engineers a copyrighted song (yes, so they can't steal it) I mixed and it has to be the worst track out of the whole album. Then you see who has and who has not the skill. I don't accept the guy that wants to remix via "stem mastering" because after 35 years I know how to mix thank you. And the ones that request it are new, because they don't know how to master a low volume track. Its interesting what I get back at times when all they needed to do is to slam it into a limiter configured correctly. Out of the 6 I tried last, only Massive Mastering and Capital Mastering passed my test. of course, the mastering part is just one of several things in their mastering packages.
Old 10th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by allengriswald View Post
I don't accept the guy that wants to remix via "stem mastering" because after 35 years I know how to mix thank you. And the ones that request it are new, because they don't know how to master a low volume track. Its interesting what I get back at times when all they needed to do is to slam it into a limiter configured correctly. Out of the 6 I tried last, only Massive Mastering and Capital Mastering passed my test. of course, the mastering part is just one of several things in their mastering packages.
Great tips mate, thank you! Yeah as mentioned I tried three guys, one from Abbey Road, another guy who advertised on here (he was the best, just too "vanilla" for my tastes) and another ****** who shall remain nameless.

The "****** who shall remain nameless" had/has mastering packages on his website where he charges more for stem mastering, claiming it to be a "superior" product, with apparently more time spent on it.
Old 10th February 2018
Wow... GS takes offence at the word d o u c h e ???
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear
Yeah it does! No luv for French hygiene!
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Whats up with Mastering Engineers asking for stems???
WHY?
And...NO!

Why did I spend all that time mixing it, for you to mess with it??
These have to be young inexperienced people surely.
RED flag.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
I use a guy that masters my stems. He cleans up my tracks and mixes to a reference mix. An experienced guy and a blessing to someone in a home studio. The results are very good and have been well received.
Old 15th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
He cleans up my tracks...
What does that mean exactly? Cleans up your tracks how? Not sure about anyone else, but I would imagine that "cleaning up" would take place in the editing phase of a project ???
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
What does that mean exactly? Cleans up your tracks how? Not sure about anyone else, but I would imagine that "cleaning up" would take place in the editing phase of a project ???
Cleaning up can refer to frequencies and compression, too. Though, if he's sending stems, the ME could also be editing unwanted sound. In any case, mixing with stems isn't a terrible idea. It gives them more control.
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeah and that’s great if you have an ideal environment to record in. Did you miss the part where I mentioned home recording? He has much better equipment and ears/experience to balance tracks and clean up resonant frequencies etc. For nastiness he has more nuanced gating and filtering.

His equipment is far superior to mine and his sensibilities are different. Goes way beyond editing tracks.....
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

By the time FGX-2 come out it'll have the A.i to do all that stuff for you too I'm sure....

Zz.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radial185 View Post
Whats up with Mastering Engineers asking for stems???
WHY?
And...NO!

Why did I spend all that time mixing it, for you to mess with it??
These have to be young inexperienced people surely.
RED flag.
So are you calling Bob Katz inexperienced? Bob Katz On Stems - TAXI.com

A lot of times I'll ask for stems after hearing a stereo mix because bass is too loud and vocals are either too loud or too quiet. It's better/easier to master with stems than mid-side.

Also, inexperienced mixers tend to leave excessive noise in their guitar tracks. It's better to noise reduce the guitar stem than the whole mix.

The list goes on...gimme your stems!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search