The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is it OK to NOT like Analog?
Old 8th May 2015
  #1
Gear Head
 
Limb BoY's Avatar
 

is it OK to NOT like Analog?

Some people don't seem to care, but I am starting to not like analog the more I listen here's why:

+Easy to break the sound and ruin the vibe of what you were doing

+Harsh tones that don't feel dancey just hardcore

+Lacking that "commercial" vibe that makes the synth feel more like a hobbyist novelty


Opinions??

One reason I do like them is because of their sonic reach. Digital sounds never seem to go as "in-depth".
1
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
edit: replaced initial reply with better response


Last edited by Yoozer; 8th May 2015 at 01:38 AM..
21
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
D_Davis's Avatar
 

Grabs popcorn.
Old 8th May 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
14
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Here it is ladies and gentleman: the first person raised on VST music to accept them as the norm, and analog as ****. Please spread your message to all of your friends so I can afford an OBX again.
36
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #6
Gear Head
 
Limb BoY's Avatar
 

Before you judge me too harshly I do own a TWA Great Divide
Old 8th May 2015
  #7
Lives for gear
 
nectarios's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog View Post
Here it is ladies and gentleman: the first person raised on VST music to accept them as the norm, and analog as ****. Please spread your message to all of your friends so I can afford an OBX again.
lol
Old 8th May 2015
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limb BoY View Post

+Harsh tones that don't feel dancey just hardcore
Can you elaborate?
Old 8th May 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limb BoY View Post
Some people don't seem to care, but I am starting to not like analog the more I listen here's why:

+Easy to break the sound and ruin the vibe of what you were doing

+Harsh tones that don't feel dancey just hardcore

+Lacking that "commercial" vibe that makes the synth feel more like a hobbyist novelty


Opinions??

One reason I do like them is because of their sonic reach. Digital sounds never seem to go as "in-depth".
I would sum up all of your points as "doing it wrong".

But really, to each their own. Some people vibe with analog, some with digital, some with both. Other people are purely sample based. NONE of it is wrong. Just do what works for you.
6
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #10
Old 8th May 2015
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Sokrates's Avatar
I hate to be the guy in a neutral corner, but I have to say it…….. who the #$*# cares!!!! Great music can be produced and properly mixed with both analog and soft synths at this point in the game.
5
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
OP introduces himself to analog purists

7
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #13
Analog is for dog beating, hooker killing, double parking psychopaths
Old 8th May 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Yes. It is OK not to like analog. It's just not a good idea to tell anyone here about it.

It's like it is OK to not like Harley Davidsons but you wouldn't want to walk into a biker bar and tell everyone your thoughts on the matter.
18
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #15
Gear Head
 
Limb BoY's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinho View Post
Can you elaborate?
I feel like I'm making a Star Wars space battle sound rather than a twerk off noise... Like a video game noise. (Although I agree its a headbanger for sure)
Old 8th May 2015
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
Someone doesn't know how to analog =o]
11
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Johnny Wrong's Avatar
 

No, it is not acceptable to not like analog, actually, it is satanic.
The electrical energy passing through analog circuitry is in fact the holy spirit, created by God.
As it passes through analog circuits, it maintains perfect, uncorrupted sine waves of pure energy resulting in pure, sacred tones.
Anything digital is a corruption of the pure holy spirit with binary, squared off waves.
Un-analog = Unholy
Repent sinner, or face eternal damnation
5
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #18
Gear Addict
 
Hide's Avatar
It's OK and you can remove all of D/A converters.
Directly it to your brain.
Don't forget to trash your monitor speakers too.

Anyway I can't live without any analogs.
1
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limb BoY View Post
I feel like I'm making a Star Wars space battle sound rather than a twerk off noise... Like a video game noise. (Although I agree its a headbanger for sure)
What exactly is your point of reference here? I.e. which analog synths have you actually tried using?
Old 8th May 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
The troll is strong with this one
17
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #21
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
Someone doesn't know how to analog =o]
Yeah .. He had my benefit of the doubt until he said harsh.
Old 8th May 2015
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

I can kinda agree with the op here. I have found analogue Synths to be huge monsters that are very easily pushed into unusable goo. That being said, I own one and use it daily, because it does exactly that, craziness and bigness for lack of a better word. I do however use mostly old digital gear, because the quality the a/d converters gives the sound and that in many ways is very similar to analogue processing.

In my own personal experience it is easier to mix with purely digital elements because of the anti aliasing filters and lack of solid bottom end makes many tracks sit very well together.
Old 8th May 2015
  #23
"It's a poor man who blames his tools."
5
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #24
Gear Head
 
Limb BoY's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limb BoY View Post
I feel like I'm making a Star Wars space battle sound rather than a twerk off noise... Like a video game noise. (Although I agree its a headbanger for sure)
What exactly is your point of reference here? I.e. which analog synths have you actually tried using?
Only Guitar Center ones:

Volca
Minibrute
Novation Bass Station
MicroKorg
MS-20 Mini
ARP Odyssey
JD-Xi

My Virus competes very well against them and my AIRA synths. I only like analog 100% more on Guitar.

Sounds from synths I've heard like Sub37 or Dominion 1 are awesome IMO but at the college dance clubs I never hear these sounds like at venues inside Baltimore. I'm not sure if they would really enjoy them...
Old 8th May 2015
  #25
this reads like you want a more produced sound than raw analog is giving you.
maybe try a rompler or some synth with compression/eq and other fx built-in to the signal chain.

perhaps a workstation? they often have patches with already added post fx.
then again, i would've expected the JD-Xi to be a good choice in that case, so maybe not
1
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limb BoY View Post
Only Guitar Center ones:

Volca
Minibrute
Novation Bass Station
MicroKorg
MS-20 Mini
ARP Odyssey
JD-Xi

My Virus competes very well against them and my AIRA synths. I only like analog 100% more on Guitar.

Sounds from synths I've heard like Sub37 or Dominion 1 are awesome IMO but at the college dance clubs I never hear these sounds like at venues inside Baltimore. I'm not sure if they would really enjoy them...
MicroKorg isn't an analog synth.

The others that you've listed aren't exactly prime examples of analog synthesis either, though any of them would be more than fine put through a signal chain complete with EQ, compression, and FX. Try a MiniMoog Voyager, or really any of the synths listed above, even the MicroKorg or Volca, through an FX box like an Eventide Space and then get back to us.
Old 8th May 2015
  #27
Honestly, I don't know what the difference is between analog and digital. I mean, a keyboard is a keyboard and keyboards just make electronic noises. A keyboard isn't a real instrument like a piano is. So in the end, the debate doesn't matter. It is just electronic noise that is made.
13
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #28
Lives for gear
 
BTByrd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Honestly, I don't know what the difference is between analog and digital. I mean, a keyboard is a keyboard and keyboards just make electronic noises. A keyboard isn't a real instrument like a piano is. So in the end, the debate doesn't matter. It is just electronic noise that is made.
Wow.

Just wow.
7
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Honestly, I don't know what the difference is between analog and digital. I mean, a keyboard is a keyboard and keyboards just make electronic noises. A keyboard isn't a real instrument like a piano is. So in the end, the debate doesn't matter. It is just electronic noise that is made.
Can't tell if serious or not....
3
Share
Old 8th May 2015
  #30
Lives for gear
 
D_Davis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Honestly, I don't know what the difference is between analog and digital. I mean, a keyboard is a keyboard and keyboards just make electronic noises. A keyboard isn't a real instrument like a piano is. So in the end, the debate doesn't matter. It is just electronic noise that is made.
This is the best thread ever.
10
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump