The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PROPS > BOWIE--The Audio Tube Guy and Gearslutz Member..
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

thanks and props to GS member Bowie for my NOS tubes!

alrighty,

just want to give public thanks and props to GS member Bowie for supplying me with NOS tubes for my pair of InnerTube Audio modified U87s.

these tubes are 5.5dB quieter than the EH ones that they replaced. the noise that remains has far less low frequency content, almost none in fact, and as such is far less intrusive. that baritone HUMMMMMMMM is gone.

their tone is also more balanced. smoother, sweeter highs, less boomy lows, more classy mids. all quite subtle changes, but enough to put a smile on my face.

the reduction in noise floor was my primary goal and i feel that i have gotten my money's worth. i didn't even buy the expensive ones; only $75 for the pair including shipping from Arizona to Ireland.

if you have any modern tube equipment i suggest you try some decent NOS tubes in it. looks like my RI STA-LEVEL is next.
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Hear,hear

thumbsup

Mike
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Maniac

I've also done a bunch of business with BOWIE, and I could not be happier. The first time he came out (I'm lucky enough to live in the same town), he retubed my 6176 and an old Berlant tube mic pre I have. The results were fantastic (turning the 610b pre in the 6176 into one of my more favored mic pres!).

In fact, I had him come back out and retube both of my vintage Pultecs, as well as change a few tubes in my RCA BA6A and Gates SA-39.

There is a really noticeable difference in everything I've had him retube (for the better).

He's really knowledgeable about the different tones you can get from different types of tubes, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I can't recommend him enough!
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

How can I get ahold of BOWIE? I am thinking of switching tubes in my Summit TLA-100A just for kicks.
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

BOWIE'S the man.

Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone ever re-tube a Drawmer 1968?
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon View Post
How can I get ahold of BOWIE? I am thinking of switching tubes in my Summit TLA-100A just for kicks.
send him a pm here on GS.
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

another thumbsup for BOWIE.

he hooked me up with some awesome NOS tubes for my Altec 436c, with plenty of spares to hold me over and experiment with. no bs, great guy to deal with.
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

Just to follow up, I did get a Mullard from Bowie. It was an all around good thing. I learned some stuff about tubes and got a real nice one. It's my first NOS and I'm diggin' it.
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

Christian is super-cool! thanks again! - bernd
Old 14th June 2011
Gear Head

ditto thanks to Bowie

Bowie sold me a set of NOS tubes to completely re-tube my Marshall 1974x combo amp. Holy crap! the results were astounding (for the better!)

the nice the thing was he recommended a reduced gain tube on the V2
channel and that was genius... the clarity and punch
i can get out of the amp channel is very nice.
Now i can play with brightness and chime with the tone
knobs on my amp and guitar with effectiveness and purpose.
rather than fighting muddy tone with the stock tubes which came with
the amp.

some people think the 1974x is a one trick pony... with this retube
this is definitely not the case.. i now have two distinct channels from
nice clear/clean (for a marshall, not a fender or other) and another tube
overdrive channel which is not overdone, but has that classic tube overdriven tone.

Highly recommend Bowie to anybody. Very knowledgeable and just
an all round cool dude.
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

PROPS > BOWIE--The Audio Tube Guy and Gearslutz Member..

This post is to give Props and major thanks to Gearslutz member BOWIE..in case you don't know him..he sells Vintage Audio Tubes..NOS, Used tubes etc.

You can find him by searching BOWIE in the advanced search for member name.

I recently re tubed two guitar amplifiers and I decided to look BOWIE up..his name is Christian..

Basically..I've never dealt with anyone who was SO willing to go the distance on educating the customer. Listening and then answering.

I would send him question after question and he would respond, every single time, with the most DETAIL ORIENTED emails I have ever seen, explaining every single point I asked him about, and more. I won't even say how many emails we exchanged to do this deal...quite a few.

I mean, it is extremely rare to find a guy like this, I can't say enough.

After the purchase, one of the tubes in my Champ, the 6v6, failed when I was seriously abusing this little box. I told him what I was doing to it (it involved a guitar, a big stick and a circular saw plugged into channel 2) and that I wanted to just BUY another tube from him.

He wouldn't have it and told me "You should be able to play that amp the way you want.." (paraphrased). And he's sending me a new tube, no charge, as we speak.

I could write much more about my interaction with this dude but I'll just say this..The guy is a solid 10, A Prince, A righteous one..do him some business and you'll see what I'm talking about

Details on the Re-tubing if you care...

I have a very early production Maz 18 w.reverb combo. I bought it, used, mainly, because I got a crazy deal on it..

I always struggled with "liking" this amp..it's capable of good sound but always seemed more easily capable of very harsh, fatiguing sound..This was a very early model..one of the first few years (I believe Dr. Z have improved this amp since then)

BOWIE (Christian), set me up with a set of tubes that completely transformed this amp. A combo of British and American tubes..Without doing to much detail here..I love this amp now..Tubes DO, or, can make a difference..in this case? Huge..grande. After a couple of weeks Im still stunned at how the amp loosened up, has more apparent depth and how the harmonic content has changed/improved when playing clean..trippy. I can dial in sounds with ease..where before? It was a juggling act to keep my ears from bleeding.

I aslo re-tubed my Silverface Champ..he set me up with all American tubes, nothing fancy..just tubes that the amp was built to use..bingo. I always liked my Champ and I use it quite a bit..These tubes kicked it into a different spot also..not as big of a change as with the MAZ but noticeable and very satisfying.

Anyhow..incredible transaction with BOWIE The Human Being.

: )
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

He did the exact same for me...which is why I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS tell people to contact him when they need tubes...he is a stand up guy...prices are good...knowledge is excellent and he is very familiar how certain tubes interact with certain gear that people are typically looking to upgrade their tubes in....i second everything above and will continue to recommend him to anyone in search of good NOS tubes for their gear
He helped me select new tubes for an HHB tube eq, VLA1, VLA2, ADL600, RODE NTK and K2
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

I had an equally great experience dealing with Bowie. Great guy.
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Bowie is awesome! Many great transactions with him.
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Christian's the best.
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

+100
Old 17th April 2014
Gear Maniac

I read on here a couple years ago, him talking about the difference a NOS tube would make on an LA-610, which I had (still have). I liked it, but there was an edge to it that didn't sound great. I emailed him, we went back an forth on what I needed, he set me up with a nice RCA NOS, I put it in tube 1. Wow. What a dif. He really understood what tube to put in it to make it go from Ok to Really good.

I bought some other RCAs for my old Fenders after that. He actually recommended a pull RCA for my amp, as it was cheaper (relatively) I have a lot of respect for him, great to deal with, knows his stuff, will get you the right tube, even it if is less costly than you were originally expecting.

Which reminds me, I should hit him up again, I need to get some more tubes.
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawBeanZen View Post
Christian's the best.
Yep.
Old 17th April 2014
I agree whole-heartedly; BOWIE is great to deal with and sells great stuff. I re-tubed an ART MPA II, MPA Gold, and a VLA II with his NOS tubes and each piece was improved noticeably.

Great guy
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

I'm another who will attest to a great buying experience from Christian.
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

Bowie is indeed a wonderful person...and he's also a well-respected "Giveslut".

Doing business with Christian is not only good business, it's good karma.
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

Had some exchanges with him a few years back, and found him extraordinarily free with his knowledge, not to mention his enthusiasm.

Cool cat!

Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

I just got some tubes from him for my Ref C and CL1B, seeing how his name is Christian, it only makes sense that he's chosen me some tubes that make me sound like Jesus walking across clouds on a bright sunny day - okay he would be Jesus as he was the provider of the tubes, so that would make me a worthy angel walking across clouds on a bright sunny day.

Since November we've been emailing back and forth almost daily, I probably take up half of his email storage space - but he doesn't discriminate! Awesome dude.
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Old 7th May 2014
Gear Head
Great dude for sure. Got some NOS Telefunken 12AX7s for my UA 2-610 and the sound improved immensely! He also suggested NOS Sylvania 12AX7s for my Mercury EQH-1 and that was another great upgrade. He definitely knows tubes. I always find his detailed descriptions to be very helpful and appreciate the fact that he doesn't insist on only the most expensive tubes, while always describing what the tube(s) will give you. From my experience his descriptions of the sound characteristics of the tubes I've bought from him has been spot on.
Old 23rd May 2014
Lives for gear

After reading this I wonder if he ever sleeps... I thought I was the only one emailing him on daily basis. heh He provided tubes and other bits and pieces and helped out a LOT when I built my p2p LA2. Would never have made without his help. Thanks Christian!
Attached Thumbnails
PROPS > BOWIE--The Audio Tube Guy and Gearslutz Member..-pauls-la2-finished.jpg  
Old 29th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 View Post
After reading this I wonder if he ever sleeps... I thought I was the only one emailing him on daily basis. heh He provided tubes and other bits and pieces and helped out a LOT when I built my p2p LA2. Would never have made without his help. Thanks Christian!
Looks great!

A little birdy told me he secretly offers a DIY LA2A building service if you ask nicely, but shh..
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Contact info for Bowie?

Need some tubes, how do ya get ahold of Bowie?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search