The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler little devil comp love
Old 5th April 2013
Chandler little devil comp love

so i have been using the comp for the past two years and mostly used it for vocal tracking and mixing.
there is not much discussion about this (well there is but old and little)
first of all, i have bac 500, 525, 527 and expressor (in 500 series) and other stuff like el fatso and 2500 distressor etc... so i could basically compared the little devil comp with others.
the comp is incredible. i was loving it on vocals till i tried it other stuff like kick snare, bass and guitar. i can't really describe what this comp does. i was very amazed when i got the second one and tried it on drum bus and howly cow. it smoked my 2500.
i tried it on the mix bus, but before i talk about this, i should say that i don't like mixing into a compressor at all (while i have eq's and tape sat on my mix bus). when i tried it on mixbus, i couldn't believe what i was hearing. cuz i couldn't imagine these on the mixbus (cuz of too much color). but the sidechain and the mix knob just does it for the mix much better than the expressor.
when they say this comp comes from wade's personal desk, it's now very obvious for me how he just needs these comps. this comp just works for everything and if you have a desk of these, u don need nothing else. u could go from slow to fast and from clean to dirty and it sounds fantastic compare to other comps that i have.
it says it's basically two comps in one unit (germanium and zener cruve) but if you play around with this comp, u'll know that it does more than two comps. it's even more versatile than the distressor. you can get 1176 style of compression, la style of compression and even vari mu style of compression.
call me crazy, but i'm very much leaning towards putting my feet into wade's steps and buy 14 more of these.
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

So you like it then
Old 5th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny333 View Post
So you like it then
to the max
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

Agreed. Great comp for sure. Vox, bass, drums. Very tweakable. Lovely tone and action. - paul
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Guru

I must say I do not own any at the time but they are one of the best compressors out there, did not like the plastic knobs but amazing unit.
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

I love how Chandler Limited's stuff has that MIX feature, seems so handy. The other thing is the sidechain... I have a Zener Limiter and the sidechain functionality is so useful.
Old 8th April 2013
Deleted 1846071
Looking forward to using these on OH.

4038 + km 54 in recorderman --> 2x 1272 --> 2x LD in germ mode

Should be fun. Maybe a toss a curvebender or red3 on afterward, if it's too dark?
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

I had one, loved on vox, but for my work flow i need more pairs (i mostly have to sub mix inside the box and only send individual outs for kick, snare, lead vox) so i had to put them out of the lunchbox to cram there a pair of 560´s) Finally I got a great offer for my 2nd little devil and put out the 560 to give them little devils a test drive. So far too clean, have not been able to get them to show character of pump like when i crank the input of my urei 1176 or purple mc77. Sounds nice but really subtle, even when 100 % mix position, fast attack and release, high ratio and no sidechain filter!! Strange!
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
So far too clean, have not been able to get them to show character...
...Sounds nice but really subtle, even when 100 % mix position, fast attack and release, high ratio and no sidechain filter!! Strange!
Are we talking the same unit here?
There is a side chain filter, 3 settings for release and a variable attack that is extremely versatile, and 3 great ratios to choose from.
This box oozes mojo.
You did remember that the mix knob is kinda backwards. All the way to the left is 100% compression or wet... The 'normal' 100% wet or to the right of the mix knob is the dry uncompressed signal.
I just can't understand how you could think it was subtle unless you had this backwards.
Old 3rd July 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone View Post
This box oozes mojo.
Old 4th July 2013
Gear Guru

The lil devil is the best 500 compressor out there, it's amazing on anything, killer kick though, like the OP, hard to explain. Not sure if it's toward the 1176 though, only compressor that I can think of that it sound something like is the Smart C1 on the low end, that is getting close.
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
so i have been using the comp for the past two years and mostly used it for vocal tracking and mixing.
there is not much discussion about this (well there is but old and little)
first of all, i have bac 500, 525, 527 and expressor (in 500 series) and other stuff like el fatso and 2500 distressor etc... so i could basically compared the little devil comp with others.
the comp is incredible. i was loving it on vocals till i tried it other stuff like kick snare, bass and guitar. i can't really describe what this comp does. i was very amazed when i got the second one and tried it on drum bus and howly cow. it smoked my 2500.
i tried it on the mix bus, but before i talk about this, i should say that i don't like mixing into a compressor at all (while i have eq's and tape sat on my mix bus). when i tried it on mixbus, i couldn't believe what i was hearing. cuz i couldn't imagine these on the mixbus (cuz of too much color). but the sidechain and the mix knob just does it for the mix much better than the expressor.
when they say this comp comes from wade's personal desk, it's now very obvious for me how he just needs these comps. this comp just works for everything and if you have a desk of these, u don need nothing else. u could go from slow to fast and from clean to dirty and it sounds fantastic compare to other comps that i have.
it says it's basically two comps in one unit (germanium and zener cruve) but if you play around with this comp, u'll know that it does more than two comps. it's even more versatile than the distressor. you can get 1176 style of compression, la style of compression and even vari mu style of compression.
call me crazy, but i'm very much leaning towards putting my feet into wade's steps and buy 14 more of these.
I own a pair of Germanium compressors (Which are my favorites...ever, just the best...I use them on 2-bus all the time honestly) ...but I'm gearing up to get several 500 series comps for my new place. I know these are related but different beats and that the Lil Devil is also patterned after the Neve 2264's and 33609's in some ways.

I have a 527 going on loan to me soon...but since you own both...how do they stack up? Would you just always choose the Chandlers?
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone View Post
Are we talking the same unit here?
There is a side chain filter, 3 settings for release and a variable attack that is extremely versatile, and 3 great ratios to choose from.
This box oozes mojo.
You did remember that the mix knob is kinda backwards. All the way to the left is 100% compression or wet... The 'normal' 100% wet or to the right of the mix knob is the dry uncompressed signal.
I just can't understand how you could think it was subtle unless you had this backwards.
Hey Kingtone, yes, it is the same unit, and it sounds very good to me, just can´t get it to saturate as when i cranck the input of my purple mc77 or 1176, or when i cranck the gain and peak reduction of my la3a. And yes, i got the mix fully counterclockwise.

Old 11th July 2013
QRS
Gear Maniac

i love the whole little devil line from wade (chandler).
the compressor is really great and i´m with/ understand the original poster 100%.
i also have little devil equalizers and they are... amazing - it´s all i can say.
very powerful with great character and tone - it´s a caterpillar eq.
and i have one devil micpre. this rocker has so many colors...but i need at least one more r..
Old 13th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I own a pair of Germanium compressors (Which are my favorites...ever, just the best...I use them on 2-bus all the time honestly) ...but I'm gearing up to get several 500 series comps for my new place. I know these are related but different beats and that the Lil Devil is also patterned after the Neve 2264's and 33609's in some ways.

I have a 527 going on loan to me soon...but since you own both...how do they stack up? Would you just always choose the Chandlers?
527 is a great comp as well, it's a great combo with the little devil and the bac500 for tracking. but i like the sound of the little devil alone in the mix... right now i have 5 little devils, and i'm getting 3 more soon time
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
527 is a great comp as well, it's a great combo with the little devil and the bac500 for tracking. but i like the sound of the little devil alone in the mix... right now i have 5 little devils, and i'm getting 3 more soon time
Does the BAC500 have a really fast attack?
I've been looking for a fast attack comp to pair with my 527s. Love what the 527 does, but at times I find even the fastest attack setting still not fast enough. Could you go into more detail about what you like from that pairing?

I used to have one Little Devil back in the day. I do miss it but I had a trade opportunity to pair up my 527 so I rolled that way. If I had come across a trade to go the other way instead at the time, I'd have paired up the Little Devils.

I wonder if I should save up the doe and just go for another Little Devil or two, or try something like the BAC500 to use with the 527s. I might try to see if the Lindell 500 comp works enough for my needs otherwise, I might save up for the Serpent Splice. I wish the Little Devils were just a couple hundred less to buy. It'd prolly make the decision easier.
Old 14th July 2013
yes the bac gets very fast, it's the best match with the 527. and i'm talking about only on vocals. and yes the little devil is a bit expensive, but it's worthed
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Funny. I didn't find the comp much to write home about. The preamp, on the other hand, I think is jaw-droppingly good.
Old 1st April 2020
Lives for gear

Tone : Keep the LD input cranked.
Old 1st April 2020
Lives for gear

i had a little devil comp pair. Found i liked more the color of compressors like the RND 535, and better dynamic control of, say, the serpent sb4001. Sold them. Love the little devil pres and eq´s !!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear