The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line! Audio Interfaces
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line!

Some of you already know that I often enjoy f*cking with the scammers. If I find a fraudulent eBay auction, it's not unlike me to pursue it with scam-boy to jack him around a bit.

Today's scammer has some Pultecs for sale. I contacted him directly via email and started the fun.

-----
Scammer:

Hello,

thanks for your email.
i agree to sell it to you at your last bid amount.....now if you want to buy it now please reply soon with your full name and shipping address so ebay can start the transaction and give you the invoice cause this deal will be made under ebay's protection program
hope to hear from you soon with good news

have a nice day

-----
ME:

I gave him my contact information, which I got from a Mapquest search of downtown chicago. My new name is Nancy Frazier, and I'm a smoking recording engineer looking to step into some vintage Pultecs.

-----
Scammer:

what is your last bid?? and what is the item number?? (sorry but this is the new rules from ebay) i really trust you.... but like i told you in my last e-mail i must forward the e-mail to ebay so they can start the transaction......

thank you
-----

Then comes the Photoshop "eBay Second Offer" form. Nice job, scammer!
===

Scammer:

I told ebay about our situation and they agreed to start the transaction... the problem is that right now I'm in United Kingdom with my brother for surgery and I need the money urgently....the item is at UPS ready to be shipped.....also i agree to pay all the shipping and insurance fees.....the only way for me to receive the money here is via wire transfer.....and i agree to pay all the fees from the total amount...now please wait for the invoice,read it carefully and follow their instructions step by step.

Hope to hear from you soon with good news and thank you in advance for understanding.
====
ME:

Yes, actually I got the Second Offer form yesterday. I'm just now getting ready to go
to work, and during my morning break, I'm going to the Western Union
office. So you should have the money within about 4 hours from now.

Really excited about getting my Pultecs!

Nancy
-----
Scammer:

Reply me soon with the payment details :
1.senders name: ............
2.address:............
3.city:..............
4.zip:................
5.state:............
6.country:.........
7.full amoun sent:............
8.MTCN# ( Money Transfer Control Number):..............

or you can e-mail me with the scanned paper from Western Union.

I'm waiting for your e-mail.
-----
ME:

Hi again from America,

As you may know by now, I have sent the Western Union payment in your name for $6,025.00. Hopefully, you have received the notice from Western Union so that you can pick up the money and I can get my Pultecs!

I wonder if you've tried the Pultecs on the stereo bus? I understand that the reverb sounds it makes are some of the best. Can you verify this?

I will be leaving my office very soon, so please reply that you have picked up the money and sent the unit!

Thanks again for a very safe eBay transaction. Perhaps we can get together the next time I'm in England if you're living over there now.

thanks,

Nancy

-----
Scammer (one hour later):

I need all the details requested in my last e-mail so I can pick up the money.

Reply me soon with all the payment details.

Thanks!
-----
ME:

Hi. I'm really sorry. My father has been pretty sick over the last few weeks, and I spent the night over there. Have you picked up the money from Western Union yet? It is waiting there for you as we discussed.

Thanks,

Nancy
----
Scammer:

Please reply me with full details of payment.
-----
ME:

(send full details of payment with transaction number)

Here's the information that you need. Western Union told me that, due to new security measures, you have to go the Western Union office to verify that the payment is there. You can't do this online any more. So if you go the office and show proper ID, the money should be there waiting.

Please go to the office and then let me know that you've got the money.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So that's where we are so far. Once I start sending him some juicy emails with some pics of myself in bathing suit attire, his "interest" should elevate.

Hopefully we can keep him on the hook for a while.

Has anyone tried the reverbs in a vintage Pultec?
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Scammer:

thanks for your e-mail.
can you e-mai me with the scanned paper from western union?
-----
ME:

I'm not sure that I kept the scanned paper, but if I did, it's at home and I'm at work right now. If I did keep it, I can send it in about 8 hours from now. But the money should be sitting and waiting since yesterday if you go to the Western Union office and show your ID. By the way, the Western Union agent in the Chicago office was named Ms. Scaller, so if there are any problems, ask your agent to call her at the Western Union office on Wabash Ave. near State St.

Thank you so much for helping me get my first Pultecs. I'm a young engineer who is learning to become a professional. It's not easy for a girl to become an engineer, but I'm dedicated and eager to learn. You must be a great engineer if you own the Pultecs. I'd like to meet you someday when you return to the U.S. or when I come to London. But thanks for making this transaction go smoothly. You're the best!

Nancy Frazier
Old 8th June 2006
One with big hooves

LMAO

You ever check this site out?

http://www.419eater.com/

The "Hall of Shame" is worth a detour & cup of coffee...
Old 8th June 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
LMAO
ditto
i hate scammers, make-'em pay!
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

If You HATE scammers, read this for a big laugh.

This is a best scam on the scammers....it's HILARIOUS!!!! You MUST read this.

http://www.spamscamscam.com/
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo1234
This is a best scam on the scammers....it's HILARIOUS!!!! You MUST read this.

http://www.spamscamscam.com/

holy hell, thats crazy!!
Old 9th June 2006
ha ah ahaha ha ha hahahahah ah ha ha ha h ahaa dfegad scammers
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'll have to check out those sites.

But Resonator, that's great. Hopefully you can get his lazy ass walking to Western Union and embarass himself.

That's a really good idea to pursue scammers like this. I often send scammers messages with really stupid and often insulting comments tutt dfegad heh

You've inspired me to try this too. Ever see the jerk selling Roland Jupiter 8s for a couple hundred. I notice he gets some bidders, whether it's his people, not sure.

I've warned people before about scammers once they won and I saved people a good amount of money for some ignorant but fortunate ebayers.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

OK. It's looking like our fish is still on the line. Our goal at this time is to get him to actually take his stupid ass down to Western Union thinking that there's $6k waiting for him there. Here's the update:

Scammer:

I was at Western Union and they told me that you haven't send me the money.....
What's happening?? The money are not there. I don't know what's happening!!
Please reply me soon and let me know when the money are sent and then e-mail me with the scanned paper from Western Union.

-----

ME:

Wow. That's really strange. I just called Western Union and they told me that you haven't picked up the money yet. Are you sure you actually went to the office? They won't verify funds on the internet or over the phone. They did tell me that to make things easier, they have assigned a passcode for the transaction. So when you go the office, please give this passcode: 4A26D

I'm sure if you actually go down there, you'll be ok this time. But it is important that you have your ID with you.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Nancy
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Scammer:

PLEASE REPLY ME WITH THE SCANNED PAPER FROM WESTERN UNION. I WAS AT WESTERN UNION AND THEY TOLD ME TO COME WITH THE SCANNED PAPER! IF I DON'T HAVE THE SCANNED PAPER, I CAN'T PICK UP THE MONEY.
WAITING FOR YOUR E-MAIL.

THANKS!

-----
ME:

Hi again,

Here at the Chicago office, they said that the scanned paper is only necessary for amounts over $10,000.00 US. YOU WILL NOT NEED THE SCANNED PAPER. If you went to an office and they told you that you need the scanned paper, they are wrong. Try going to another office. Take the contact information for the Western Union office on State St. in Chicago and have the agent call there if there is still a problem. Please do this as soon as possible because I am going out of town tomorrow so we need to take care of this right away. For sure if you go back to the office, you will pick up the money. I just called again and it's still waiting there.

Sorry for the problems, but we can get this worked out.

Nancy
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Guru

you should grab a western union document, fill it out, scan it and send it to him.

Then contact the western union that he would be going to and get them in on the joke. That way when he comes down there, they can all jsut laugh at him.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

The ultimate, now and forever:

P-P-P-POWERBOOK!!!

Matt

P.S. Nice job Resonator!
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Haha!! Funny stuff.

You should tell the guy that Western Union requested that he bring his Pultecs into the office before they release the funds.
Old 9th June 2006
get an actual western union wire for $6 and then scan it in and photoshop $6000 in. Then look forward to his email when alls he can get is 6 bones
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

This is absolutely hilarious!!! Great job. I hate Ebay.... rather, I hate the scammers on Ebay.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Sweeeeeeeet... stick it to 'em, Resonator..... er, I mean, Nancy....
ha ha ha
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100
get an actual western union wire for $6 and then scan it in and photoshop $6000 in. Then look forward to his email when alls he can get is 6 bones
I love the idea of sending him $6.00 rather than $6,000.00. If I can get MY lazy butt to WU, I'd do that for sure!

I haven't heard from him for a few hours, so I just sent another piece of bait:

-----
Hi again,

I just checked with Western Union and they said that you still haven't picked up your money. What is happening? Is there still a problem? I don't want the wrong person to pick up my money, so I want to make sure it goes to you for my Pultecs. I've been waiting so long to hear the reverb and pitch change sounds in the Pultec. Please tell me if you are still having problems, because Western Union gave me some more ideas to help make sure the transaction goes through.

Thanks again,

Nancy
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Scammer:

I CAN'T PICK UP THE MONEY BECAUSE HERE IN LONDON I NEED THE SCANNED PAPER FROM WESTERN UNION. SO PLEASE GO AGAIN AT YOUR WESTERN UNION OFFICE AND TELL THEM TO GIVE YOU THE SCANNED PAPER.
I'M WAITING FOR YOUR E-MAIL WITH SCANNED PAPER FROM WESTERN UNION.

----
ME:

Hi again,

I just spoke with Ms. Scaller at the State St. office of Western Union. Here's what she suggested. Please go to the closest Western Union office and pick up the business card of the agent there. Please scan it to me, then I will have Ms. Scaller call your agent to help her find the transaction in the system.

Apparently, because Al-Zarqawi was killed yesterday, very tight security measures are in place, giving lots of problems to the Western Union wire transfers. I guess this is why this is so difficult.

But Ms. Scaller said that if you can scan for us the business card of any of the agents at your closest office, she can personally call to make sure the transaction is located and the money released to you.

Sorry for the problems. As you know the war on terror is making all sorts of things difficult. Thank god you Brits are helping us take care of these fools!

Nancy
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Scammer:

why you can't e-mail me with the scanned paper from western union??
it's more easy for me....please try to send me the scanned paper from western union and e-mail me asap.

thank you for understanding!

-----
ME:

I don't think I kept the scanned paper, because I didn't think I needed it once I sent the money off. I looked for it last night when I got home, but I don't think I kept it. And I won't be near the Western Union office this afternoon, because I'm trying to get ready to go out of town. That's why if you could send me a business card scan of any agent close to you, we could get the State St. Western Union office to contact your agent directly and locate the transaction.

Oh, and by the way, I think I sent you the wrong transaction number in the first place. I couldn't read my own writing! The correct number should be: 3839205393. But as always you have to go to the Western Union office in person to confirm the transaction. Since Zarqawi, extra security is in place.

Sorry again for the problems. The State St. office told me that the money is still there waiting for you to pick it up.

Nancy
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear
This is awesome, but how did you identify him as a scammer in the first place? Just curious so I don't fall into some trap in the future... Was it painfully obvious?
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Nut

HA HA HA!! Man.. This is where it's at!! Almost a carbine copy of the scam that came my way 2 weeks ago!!! I wonder if it's the same scammer?? I lead my scammer up the garden path for a while too then sent a pretty scathing email.. I didn't really hold back!! Needless to say it didn't go down that well with said 'scammer'!!
Keep at it Resonater!! Stick it to the spineless F U C K E R!!!!
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

i just love the war on terror tie-in.

sounds like he may be breaking the line soon though, might wanna do that $6 wire transfer to keep him on the hook.

also consider using fake holidays for reasons of not being able to send other payments, or in this case the scanned paper.
"Step Father's Day" , "We Caught Saddam Day" , etc.

hidden messages in transaction #'s can be fun too, especially if he keeps taking these #'s to various Western Union offices...
I98AM46A9D0UCH300BAG could be the code needed to pick up his $6
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Adam, those are some great ideas. I love the ****** bag bit!

Here's his latest letter, sent from a different email address:

Dear Nancy Frazier ,

I am Terry Tandon, the seller of the ebay item Pultec eqp- 1a3 tube eq eqp1a3 equalizer (Item number: 7418500572) and i want to anounce you that i have some trouble with my bussines e-mail [email protected] and i want to ask you to reply me here in my personal e-mail adress with the payment details from Western Union in order to start the shipping process .

Thank you for your understanding !

Terry Tandon
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

I just hit him back:

Terry,

It is almost 3:00am here Chicago time, and I'm going out of town this weekend on holiday. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU SEND ME A SCANNED BUSINESS CARD FROM YOUR WESTERN UNION AGENT so that I can take it to the Western Union office here in the morning and get Ms. Scaller to phone your representative to release the money to you. I'm going to bed now, but when I wake up, you must send me this email so I can get you your money. If you can't get this for me, it will have to wait until I'm back home after the holidays.

Thanks so much, my English friend! God save the Queen!

Nancy
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Nut

This is getting better and better Resonator!! I love it!!!
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Ha Ha ha...

The poor sucker made another trip down to the Western Union office!

-------

Hello,
i went again to the Western Union Office and they told me that you don't need a business card from me.I even don't know what business card to send you.They've told me there that you have to phone Western Union or go there , and tell them to release the transfer.I undertsand that the transfer is on hold, and you have to give your confirmation to the Western Union employer to unhold the transfer.
Here is 11.46 A.M. .Hope that you are still home and you will do this thing for me today.If not , we will wait till Monday when you get back home.
Thank You and Have a great Hollidays!
Old 10th June 2006
500 series nutjob

make him wait.heh
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

This whole thread just warms my vigilante soul. I once had a great time with a Nigerian "help me transfer 30,000,000 out of the country" guy. I had him faxing and FedExing me all sorts of paperwork and **** for days. It's amazing what playing dumb and willing can accomplish for you. My only cost to string the thing along was one 5 minute phone call to his homeland in the middle of my good time to keep him on the line. I wish i would have recorded that convo... truly classic.

cheers and keep up the good work.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

OK...let's see if he makes another trip down to the office:

ME:

Terry,

OK. Its's 11;15am here and I'm about to leave on holiday for the Wisconsin Dells. I want to take my shoes off and run naked through the forests of green grasses. My girlfriends and I are ready for a weekend of picnics and microbrew beer. And if we run into some cute guys, well, who knows what will happen?

Anyway, I just again spoke with Ms. Scaller at the State St. office, and she told me that the HOLD on the money has been removed FOR SURE. Apparently, this Zarqawi thing really presented problems for Western Union, and they are worried about money being wired for terrorism. Prime Minister Blair and our great president George W. Bush ordered all banks and Western Union to take strong security measures to make sure that transactions were legal. But now that the money is off hold, you must go to your office and present your full ID. Please take this newly created 10-digit passcode with you and the agent will enter it into the system for full release of the money. The new passcode is 3D4UmF56UK. The "UK" part at the end means it can only be claimed in the UK where you are. Osama bin Laden can't take your money!

And then, you can ship me the Pultecs next week. My friend just told me that the Pultec sounds great on vocals and bass and flugelhorn. Have you tried this? Do you like Coldplay? I like a lot of the English music, especially Shakira (my friends say I look like her) and the Killers. Oh and I like James Blunt too. He's hot!

Oh, my friend just pulled into the driveway. Please go get your money.

Thanks,

Your new friend Nancy.

PS send me a picture of you and I'll send one too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search