The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line! Audio Interfaces
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Brilliant!

SparkyCanada
Old 26th June 2006
One with big hooves

This is STILL going?!?!

Fukkin' amazing.

Have you made him take a picture of himself while he's standing on one foot with a loaf of bread on his head?
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater
Did you notice Nickolai's last name? Vorkov.

Awesome.
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone interested in doing a joke on this guy for a laugh. Check this link out resonater and see what you think, seems mighty honest to me,hmmmmmmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Meyer-Sound-HD-1...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen
Anyone interested in doing a joke on this guy for a laugh. Check this link out resonater and see what you think, seems mighty honest to me,hmmmmmmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Meyer-Sound-HD-1...QQcmdZViewItem
Gee, those look just a little different from the way they looked when I was working there.... Maybe we ought to just tell John Meyer about this one. I'm sure he's more than capable of giving the guy some grief heh

DP
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Damn, this is rich!heh
I wonder how long the poor bastard will hang on...I'm almost beginning
to feel sorry for him, sending him back and forth!
Way to go, Nancy!
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

Guys, I'm just DYING to get our Scam Boy to start conversing with my fake Russian scammer. Now THAT would be some fun exchanges. If it doesn't happen in the next day or two, our fake Russian Scammer will start writing our English scam boy. Anyway, I last wrote him asking him to write the Russian to demand my money back. Here's what English boy wrote back:

-----
I will try but I'm sure that he will not send you the money back....it's a scam.
I'm still waiting for your e-mail with the scanned paper from MoneyGram.

Terry
-----
So I just sent him this:

-----
Terry,

Please try writing that guy. [email protected] Why doesn't he send my money back? Please send him some sort of angry letter that you are my boyfriend or husband or something and you're going to hurt him. I'm hoping to hear from him so that I can afford to send you the $5,000.00, because I recently bought a Neumann DAW. Have you tried them? I want to get the Pultecs from you finally!

Hugs,

Nancy
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater
Neumann DAW

ROTFLMFAAO!!!heh
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, this is gonna be real gooooooood. I'm near dfegad myself laughing.
Old 28th June 2006
wez
Here for the gear

oh you guys are so cruel. i love it.

just thought i'd let you know... i currently have my PMC AB2s on ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....DME:B:AAQ:AU:1

within 24 hours a chinese scammer had this ad up -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ADME:B:SS:AU:1

so... if anyone wants some fun, it's all yours ;-) i think he'd be pretty excited when people start bidding them up to, say, $30k. they're good speakers after all, but then he would know that ;-)

cheers, wez
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

This is unbelievable Wez farout so quick these scammers.
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

Neumann has a new DAW?!?

We should move this to the 'New Products' forum.

heh

This is a fun read. Dying to hear how it ends.
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostMaster
within 24 hours a chinese scammer had this ad up -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ADME:B:SS:AU:1
This bothers me because I if you didn't tell me that was a scammer I wouldn't know. Is there something I'm missing? I've had very good experience on ebay both buying and selling, and I always assume that the person I'm dealing with is honest. But now I wonder whether I am more vulnerable to scammers than I thought.

John Link
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlink
This bothers me because I if you didn't tell me that was a scammer I wouldn't know. Is there something I'm missing?
this has been done to death and leads to a good search. but basically the parameters are:

if the seller has a history of selling clothes and knick knack and suddently they are selling a multithousand dollar high end item,it warrants investigation.

if the pictures and text are identical to auctions from the past, and the seller insists on cashiers checks and western union, and the item is in one country and the seller wants payment sent to a different country, look out.

if you get approached for a second chance offer and find out that the original auction sold, you are in trouble.

if it is a high priced item and the seller hides everyone's identity and has shades, be cautious...

the list goes on but is mostly governed by common sense.

otherwise, most people are honest, which is why scammers get away with it...

good luck,
rlnyc.
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnyc
if the seller has a history of selling clothes and knick knack and suddently they are selling a multithousand dollar high end item,it warrants investigation.

if the pictures and text are identical to auctions from the past, and the seller insists on cashiers checks and western union, and the item is in one country and the seller wants payment sent to a different country, look out.

if you get approached for a second chance offer and find out that the original auction sold, you are in trouble.

if it is a high priced item and the seller hides everyone's identity and has shades, be cautious...
All that you write makes sense, but I don't see that any of it applies to the ebay scammer identified in this thread. I did notice the scammer is new at ebay (joined 5/19/06), has no feedback, and the item is expensive. Also, if I were in the market for speakers and was considering bidding I would do a search for all PMC AB2 speakers at ebay, and then I would notice that the pictures, which are obviously not from the website of the manufacturer but rather taken by the owner, are identical on two auctions. Furthermore, the text on the two auctions is identical as well, although it is formatted differently. Is there anything I missed?

John Link
Old 28th June 2006
wez
Here for the gear

Quote:
But now I wonder whether I am more vulnerable to scammers than I thought.

John Link
i too have had an overwhelmingly positive ebay experience (so far). i did once bid on a GML eq which turned out to be a scam, fortunately ebay pulled the ad before i even had a clue.

the tell-tale signs are often pretty obvious, like 0 feedback etc. and sadly if it comes from certain countries it doesn't look good (and many of us know how badly that impacts on great guys like noequipment from indonesia). most experienced ebayers know this stuff, but anyone can get caught. also it does also tend to be high priced items (no point counterfeiting a $5 when it costs the same to make a $100) - this is the first time i've listed anything this expensive, and straight away it gets scammed. i've also had a dozen or so "queries" that are just really stupid spam - again, not had this before so i assume it's because of the high value.

call the seller, ask them smart questions, use escrow if you have to. view the item personally, if it's overseas then maybe try and get a friend to pick it up (here's an idea... how about a reciprocal "ebay inspection" system, where someone in melbourne gets a gearslut in london to check out an item, and vice versa... just a thought).

anyway, who wants some nice speakers. just to be calling me for informations so i can giving of good service, western union only please.... ;-)
Old 29th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
All that you write makes sense, but I don't see that any of it applies to the ebay scammer identified in this thread. I did notice the scammer is new at ebay (joined 5/19/06), has no feedback, and the item is expensive. Also, if I were in the market for speakers and was considering bidding I would do a search for all PMC AB2 speakers at ebay, and then I would notice that the pictures, which are obviously not from the website of the manufacturer but rather taken by the owner, are identical on two auctions. Furthermore, the text on the two auctions is identical as well, although it is formatted differently. Is there anything I missed?

John Link
that would be enough to warrant suspicion. and the fact that the auctions are within a day of each other... big ticket items are worth doing a search for "completed items" if you see that what is on offer has already been sold in the last month with the same pics and text, watch out.

regards,
rlnyc.

ps. i got a nice pair of pultecs in egypt. i am in china and would like the money sent to my brother in nambia, where i have to pay for my mother's funeral, so hurry hurry send the $$$... ok?
Old 30th June 2006
Gee, no word from scammer boy lately; my daily laugh has decreased dramatically since the last post.

I guess you finally wore him out Nancy!
Old 1st July 2006
SYL
Gear Head

Entertaining thread...

I just started selling stuff on ebay again over the last 3 weeks, and atleast once a day i receive some kind of spoof email... but they are SO obvious.
And I never reply to messages that arn't in "My Ebay" anyway...
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, sorry guys...I'm on vacation for the 4th. I'll be back on 7/5, tormenting our man with new emails of confusion. I think I've hatched the next chapter. Let's see how it plays out. We're going to be in uncharted territory.
Old 4th July 2006
Lives for gear

Wow. 10,000 views of this thread! I'm deeply honored and shall start the scam back up here in another day...
Old 6th July 2006
Gear Addict

Dude! You should start writing romance novles haha..
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Neumann has a new DAW?!?

heh
Old 9th July 2006
Gear Nut

LMAO!
this thread is so good hahah
Old 10th July 2006
Here for the gear

This is my favorite thread to date! I keep checking back. Are you back from vacation Resonator?
Old 10th July 2006
Maybe someone else needs to contact the seller and say they saw his auction on Ebay and they were wondering if the item was still available or maybe he has another pair. Then you can keep it going as a three way, with a bidding war. Whoever gets the money there first gets the Pultecs.

Keep up the good work.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Anything new, Resonater? I'm dying to see if that jackass is still playing ball.
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Nut

Great sh!t Rez. ROTFLMMFAO throughout...

...but you must tell him the great news...

....about your new internship... ...

...in London!!!heh

Also, I co-sign sending him the thread link...fuuck fuuck
Old 15th July 2006
Gear Nut

C'mon REZ!!!! Now I feel like we've been SCAMMED!!!
When do we get our next fix NANCY!!!
Old 20th July 2006
Here for the gear

That's a mighty long vacation, Resonator.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search