The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line! Audio Interfaces
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

OK...let's see how to play this one...here's his latest:

-----
Nancy,

Please go at your local bank and ask for MoneyGram office (it's like Western Union but is more easy and faster. After you will send me the money, please e-mail with all the payment details and the scanned paper from MoneyGram (please do not forget it).
So I'm waiting for your e-mail with the scanned paper from MoneyGram and the payment details.

Terry

P.S. : I don't know exactly when I will come in US, but let's close this deal and after that we will talk more about this......I really want to know you and talk more about our work.
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Try and get a phone number or some real contact info from this guy. I dont think hes figured it out yet.... Nail him!
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Wouldn't the police in the UK be interested in this? Or do they arrest people for this stuff? just curious
Old 19th June 2006
Who cares if the guy is caught, just the pure pleasure of his continually going down to Western Union, hook, line and sinker is more than enough. Hell, they probably know him personally down at his local WU office by now.

I'd love to have camshot of his face when he finally finds out or figures it out at some point. So, Resonater, how much longer before Nancy writes the "guess we scammed the scammer real good" letter?
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobbermonster
Wouldn't the police in the UK be interested in this? Or do they arrest people for this stuff? just curious
I would love to see him put in the slammer personally. You'd think the local police would also...
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Nut

since his pic is so obviously fake. tell him that theres a problem and someone who isnt him has been trying to get the money and that the only person who could pick up the money is him, or rather the person in the picture he sent you. disguise it as some sort of photo-recognization security thing western union does now.
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Nut

I also enjoy screwing around with scammers

here's some correspondence with a guy trying to sell a vintage guitar that I knew he didn't have:

[email protected] wrote:
Hi,
Do you have a phone number I can contact you on to discuss a few things?

John Nemor <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi,
You can't call me because our phone is not working.
Can you tell me what you want to find out.

Hi,
Can you tell me something about how you acquired the guitar please. If it is a one owner guitar are you the original owner?

Hi,
I didn't bought the guitar it was left to me when my grandfather died in 2002.
He was the first owner of the guitar.

If you want the guitar i can end the auction for you.
I'm in Portugal due to some family problems if you want to buy it you can send me the money by Western Union and i will send you the guitar by UPS Express.

Hi,
Is the guitar in portugal?

Yes the guitar is in Portugal.

Hi,
How much do you want to end the auction? What are the details to send you the money?

Well i'm really in need of money because my mother has some problems and she is in the hospital.
Tell me how much do you want to give me for the guitar.
here are the details.
Full Name:Mark Nemor
address:AV. ANTONIO AUGUSTO DE AGUIR NO.120
city:LISABON
zip:1050

Hi,
Sorry to hear that your mother is not well.

I think $14500 is a fair price.
Is that your home address? How do I get the money to you?

Yes i think it is a fair price.
i know that this is sad i have came all the way from Canada just to make sure that she will be ok.
Yes the price is fair if you want i can close the auction for you.
Yes that is my home address.
You can send me the money by Western Union.
There are some fees there but you will pay those from the money because it is my fault that i can't use something else.

Hi,
That all sounds OK.

One thought I've just had - I travel a lot on business and have been to Lisbon several times. I could arrange to be there early next week to give you the cash and collect the guitar. Is that possible?

I don't know i really need the money very fast.
And that will take longer.
So tell me should i close the auction.
Monday you can send the money i don't know if you can send them all at once but anyhow i will go pick them up and send the guitar.

Hi,
OK no problem. If you end the auction now I'll see if I can wire the money tomorrow. I'll send you the address to deliver it to later

I have ended the auction for you.
Please send me your address like i have sent you mine because i will need it for shipping.
Also i will need if you will use a different address when you send the money.
Have you used Western Union before i have used it when i have sent my mother money and it is easy. Have a nice night i will go to sleep i will hear from you tommorow.

Hi

Thanks.

It's probably best if you send the guitar to my work address as I travel a lot and may be away when it arrives. One of my work colleagues will sign for it and look after it until I get back. As you can see from the address it will be quite safe!

Please use the following address;

Chief Inspector Bjorn Jestaday
Care of Detective Juan Bjorn Ephreeminnet
Metropolitan Police
New Scotland Yard
(Internet Fraud Division - Portugese Liason Office)
London
SW1H 0BG

Hope you sleep well....

Ok i will send it there no problem at all.

Hi,
Great news! I've called one of my contacts in the Portugese Internet Fraud Office and he can meet you with the cash and collect the guitar TODAY. What time would suit you?

Well tell him to come at my address.
It will be better that way.

Hi,
have you got the guitar with you right now?

Yes i have the guitar with me you can tell anyone to come because i don't know what you think but the guitar is in my possesion.

Hi

OK, I just wanted to check something to verify the manufacture date. Under the truss rod cover there should be a number etched in the plastic that says the month and year that it was made - e.g. Jan - 61. Is it there?

When i have ended the auction i was contacted by a couple of interested bidders and told this guitar was from 1960 and not 1961 like I thought. Apparently the "R" before the serial number denotes the year 1960. If this is true it makes this guitar one of only 21 shipped in 1960 of this model and color.
There is no manufacture date.

Hi,
Wow - one of only 21, finding one of these guitars for sale must be very rare. I think there was one on e-bay sometime last year - did you see that?

No i don't know very much about guitars only my grandfather knew.

Hi

Well, I remember it was a really nice one - same colour, same year, same condition as the one you have.

Small world isn't it?

Ok.

Hi

Strangely, that guitar also had the same mark on the headstock, the same serial number and the same photographs. Weird huh?

(no response)

Hi

I don't think it would be a good idea to send you money for a guitar you don't have, do you? After all, I wasn't born yesterday

Ok

Hi

By the way, all the guys at e-bay and the Internet Fraud office are dying to meet you. Expect a visit sometime soon.

Ok and when are they coming?
Tell me please i'm dying to meet them.
By the way i want to ask you did you create an user just to enter and talk with me.
I think you are preaty dumb i don't understand what bussines do you have with me.
I have listed at least 5 auctions after you have closed the one with the guitar.

Just keep looking over your shoulder, they'll find you soon enough
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Scammer boy wrote again asking me what's happening, so I just sent him this:

----Hi Terry,

I spoke with Mr. Bruce Dickinson today, who told me that the funds had been reserved for London pickup and would take 48 hours for the cancellation and to be deposited back into the Chicago office. So, I should be able to pick the money up on Thursday and then send you a MoneyGram instead. I will call my bank agent tomorrow, Mr. Harry Palm, to see if they can make it for me. To which address should i send it?

It would be GREAT for you to come to Chicago and party with my girlfriends and me. Believe me, we will show you a REAL good time! I could show you my studio (well, it's not too impressive), and we could go out to some great bars and clubs. You'd be smiling!

Hugs,

Nancy
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

I tried to get up close and personal with a scammer on a matched pair of Neumann U67's a while back. Offered to meet him and pay him cash all the way from Socorro NM to NYC. I ran the asshole all the way to england and offered to meet him in London.............so next e-mail I got from him he was on his way to Hong Kong, but if I would just send the money wire transfer...........

About two weeks later, these same mics were up at auction from Vegas. I live in SW Colorado, not too far so I offered to meet him again and the chase was on........I busted him every time he popped up on EBay for the next two months.

Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Scam boy wrote again today asking about the moneygram. Yeah, right! Here's my reply:

-----
Terry,

Perhaps you overlooked my earlier email? The money will be available for pickup at my Western Union office on Thursday, so I can't get the MoneyGram until then.

By the way, you should tell me more about yourself. My family has been in the United States for almost 100 years now. My great-grandfather was Scottish (Patrick Angus) and my other great grandfather was English (William Frazier) and both of them came to America in the early 1900's. My Grandfather Anil Angus fought alongside the British in World War Ii and eventually became a Colonel in the military. Our dear Colonel Angus was awarded a Purple Heart in the well known "Battle of the Bulge" after injuring his jaw in the "Battle at Big Beaver". So, we have a lot of history with the United Kingdom! So tell me more about yourself...have you ever been to America? Would you like to visit my friends and I when we go to Las Vegas later this summer?

Thanks,

Nancy
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

LMAO

This is the best thing since shirt pockets.

I am guessing you have created a secondary ebay account so that he couldnt connect the dots back to you some how. I guess it doesnt matter since he is the scammer.
Old 21st June 2006
Lives for gear

When this is all over, you really have to email the dude a link to this thread. That would be priceless.
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT
When this is all over, you really have to email the dude a link to this thread. That would be priceless.
It would also be senseless. This alleged clown isn't gonna see all this, become humiliated, and stop scamming. Instead, like bacteria, he will improve his process, and become more resilient. Furthermore, he would be exposed to a community from which to operate - akin to a foreign predatory species being invited to an island inhabited by prey.
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scinx
It would also be senseless. This alleged clown isn't gonna see all this, become humiliated, and stop scamming. Instead, like bacteria, he will improve his process, and become more resilient. Furthermore, he would be exposed to a community from which to operate - akin to a foreign predatory species being invited to an island inhabited by prey.
Hell yeah!!! Keep the spineless addict outta here!!!! Mind you, I'd love his e.mail when this is done so I could freak him out myself!!
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Don't worry guys. Much as it would be fun to direct scammer boy to this thread, I'm about to end the dialog in a very unexpected and harmless way. We're about to give him the most confusing brush-off he's ever had. But in the meanwhile, let's see if we can get his lower extremeties prepared for the break up! I just sent him this:

-------
Hi Terry,

Well today is Thursday, and I should be able to pick up the money from Western Union today. Then I should be able to get a MoneyGram for you. I'll need to call Mr. Frank Rizzo at Western Union to make sure the money is ready for pickup here.

Why don't you write and tell me more about yourself? Don't you like me? You really should come to America and party with me and my friends. Do you have a studio? What other kinds of equipments do you have? I once met Rupert Beringer at an engineering convention. It might have been the highlight of my life. Well, I guess the night I met Elliot Massenburg was pretty cool, too. Anyway, tell me about your studio. Do you have pictures? Tell me more. I want to learn from guys like you. How to push the faders to create that magic sound like you do. How to make the eq just right on the drums. How to flop the phase and invert the sonic waveform. Do you prefer analog or digital? Which mics do you like on drums or do you go direct? Terry, are you going to help me learn? When can we talk some more about the engineerings skills?

Anyway, I thought I'd send along a couple more pictures. I went to California about 4 years ago and entered this bathing suit contest. I ended up winning third place!

Send more pics of yourself.

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails
Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line!-nancyincali14.jpg   Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line!-nancyincali16.jpg  
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Anyway, I thought I'd send along a couple more pictures. I went to California about 4 years ago and entered this bathing suit contest. I ended up winning third place!
heh heh heh heh
Old 22nd June 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater
How to flop the phase and invert the sonic waveform.
excellent!
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Addict

Nancy, how about sending him some pictures of your girlfriends? You might also ask him his opinion about whether it is more correct to speak of flopping the phase or inverting the polarity.

Do you know for a _fact that he has actually gone to Western Union?

John Link
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Well, if you follow through this entire thread, he 'says' that he's been down to the Western Union office well over a dozen times. Which makes some sense, given that I've told him the transaction(s) is not viewable online due to anti-terrorism security measures. Plus, wouldn't you risk looking like a fool at least a few times if a sincere female from a foreign country was sending you over $6k?
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

Our dear Scammer boy wrote again yesterday asking about the MoneyGram. I just sent him this...what do you guys think?

======
Hi Dear Terry,

This is another very hard letter for me to write.

A few days ago, I got an email from a guy in Russia who says that he also has a pair of Pultecs for sale. I guess he somehow got my email address from eBay. Anyway, I asked him to send pictures of the units and he said that he doesn't have a digital camera. His asking price for them is $7,500.00 and he says that they are in perfect condition. I hope he's honest like you, but he refused to use the eBay Safe Harbour Second Chance method like you did. So, a few days ago, I sent a test payment of $1,000.00 to him via Western Union, using the help of Mr. Frank Rizzo at my W.U. office. And the payment went through without a problem. Mr. Rizzo called me right away to say that the money had been successfully picked up. So I'm planning to send him the other $6,500.00 on Monday, and I really want your advice.

Should I do this?

I pray to God that this person is honest. With you, I feel very comfortable, and because we have sent the pictures of each other, I know that our deal is a good one. Still, I don't really want to wait while I send you a MoneyGram and all that, especially because if I can get some Pultecs faster. Even though this other guy wants nearly $1500 more than you, and even though this is NOT being handled through eBay Safe Harbour, I'm considering to trust this person to send me the vintage Pultecs once he has all the money. Do you think I'll get them without a problem? I don't have a lot of experience in these things.

Please write and tell me what to do! Did you get my other pictures?

What should I do?

Love,

Nancy
Old 24th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Love,

Nancy
heh heh heh heh heh heh heh hehthumbsup
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

I can't believe this is still going on. Dude is a scammer AND an idiot.
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

OK guys...this is priceless. Check out homeboy's response:

-----
Hy there
after all my experience i advise you not to send the money to this guy...i know russians guys are not honest people....i had a friend scammed by one of this guys...
anyway...if you feel to send him the money without a guarratee that you will get your pultecs ,do it....i can sell my pultecs to someone else ,this is not the problem,but we agreed that you will buy mine,we do it via ebay,ebay knows about this transaction and so on,
you said that you are waiting to get your money from western union,and now you said that you have other 6,500$ to sent that guy...why can't you send me the amount you need to give me?....
anyway i don't know what to think anymore...i see that you can't be trusted.....i waited for you 3 weeks and still no money.i can't paly all this games anymore
if you want to buy it send the money via MoneyGram if not be scammed by that russian guy.
believe me i really i had enough.....i tryed to be nice with you,by the way you are a very cute girl and a nice person but not a really good buyer.
so my adivce is do not send the money to that guy.......and my second advice is : make the payment to me asap because i have already payed for the shipping and the package UPS charges me for the time the package stays at them...so i spent my hole time with you,my money and all, and you are haveing fun....it is just not right
i ask you the last time please make the payment to MoneyGram or just forget it
thanks for your understanding
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

The part I like the best is where he turns into the Master of Understatement:

=====
by the way you are a very cute girl and a nice person but not a really good buyer.
=====

You got it right there, pal !
Old 24th June 2006
LMAO, Appears you might get some more mileage out of this guy.

Quote:
The part I like the best is where he turns into the Master of Understatement:

=====
by the way you are a very cute girl and a nice person but not a really good buyer.
=====

You got it right there, pal !
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

I just sent our "UK" friend this:

-----
Hi Terry,

I read your letter a couple of hours ago and you are so nice to me. I'm so confused right now.

Right after I read your letter, I wrote to the Russian guy to see if he would send back to me my $1,000.00. But he wrote back that he can't send the money back. He says that he is very honest and will send me the Pultecs as soon as I send the rest of the money.

I did get my $6,025.00 from Western Union and that is the money that I was planning to send to the Russian guy. I don't know why his $1,000.00 transaction went through right away and he was able to pick up the money with no problems, when we've had so much troubles getting the money sent to you.

Anyway, what should I do? You are so honest and so nice, and you are using the eBay Safe Harbor. But I don't know if this other person is honest like you. But now he has $1,000.00 of my money.

Please help me decide what to do. Perhaps you could come to the United States to party for a few days, and then I could give you the money in person. Then when you go back home, you could send me the Pultecs. That would be ok with me if you can do it. Or, I can try the MoneyGram idea. Or I could buy them from the Russian man. I'm really confused right now.

Help me figure this out!

Kisses,

Nancy
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just sent our "UK" friend this:

Please help me decide what to do. Perhaps you could come to the United States to party for a few days, and then I could give you the money in person. Then when you go back home, you could send me the Pultecs. That would be ok with me if you can do it. Or, I can try the MoneyGram idea. Or I could buy them from the Russian man. I'm really confused right now.

Help me figure this out!

Kisses,

Nancy
Excellent! I was hoping you'd give that one a shot!! I've got all my fingers crossed that he takes you up on it!!!
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, let's see how stupid this dumb*ss really is. We must be flipping this dude out!
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Now we're talking! The price is getting better now...

-----
I told you that i don't know when I will come back in US.
To close this deal you only have to do is to send me the money through MoneyGram and after that reply me soon with the scanned paper from MoneyGram.
Also I agree to sell it to you at $5000.
Waiting for your e-mail with the payment details.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

OK guys, I just set up a Hotmail email address under the name of nickolai. Let's see if we can get ScamBoy to give some sh*t to our fake scammer in Russia! Here's what I wrote:

-----
Hi Terry,

I just got home from a night out with my girlfriends. I still don't know what to do. That is SO nice of you to lower the price to $5,000.00. Honestly, you are the best seller i have ever met. I need to try to get my $1,000.00 back from this guy in Russia. I wonder if you could write him and convince him to send back my money? If I could just my money back from him, then I could send you the money via the MoneyGram like you suggested. I've written to this guy twice, but he doesn't want to send the money back. I'm not sure if he's honest. Can you write him? Maybe if you speak man to man, he'll understand and send back my money. His email is: [email protected]. Tell him you're my angry boyfriend or father or whatever you want to tell him.

Thanks if you can help me. You're really a nice person.

Nancy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search