The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line! Audio Interfaces
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have a scammer dangling right now, hes trying to sell me a 2-1176. He thinks I need the 1176 to auto-tune the vocals for the Quadraplegic Childrens Choir at a Church I go to.
I've had him on the line for about a week now. Anyhow, this thread makes a great template for getting even with these f*cks. And it did make me think of some random advice for buying stuff on line, and sniffing out a scammer. Some of this stuff may be complete common sense.. but I know a few people where it wasn't and they got screwed.

1) Never use Western Union to pay anyone but a person you know personally. Sorry Western Union... but until you make it safer, no way!

2) 99% of all "second chance offers" from E-bay are scams, and Its very simple to figure out. If you get second chance offer, just go back to the original auction, contact the seller through E-bay and ask him if the item sold or not. Im always happy to have someone contact me and ask me if I placed a second chance offer.... it means I may have saved someone from getting screwed.

3) If you are going to play with a scammer... be careful. Don't use an e-mail account that has your name in the e-mail. Make sure you don't leave an auto-signature in an e-mail... and never give any personal info of any kind. Kinda obvious, but you never know.

okay, and here is a link to a great scam on a scammer.... enjoy!
http://www.419eater.com/html/edward_uwa.htm
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 The Beatle
I can't believe you got his pic bro. Priceless.
Did you mean to write "his" or "a"? If the former, than what do you think of Resonater's looks?
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Guys, this dude just keeps on going! ANOTHER trip to the Western Union office. That has to be, like 12 trips or something. Here's his latest:

-----
Dear Nancy,

I was at Western Union and they told me that control number is wrong.They told me again to come with the scanned paper.

PLEASE E-MAIL ME SOON WITH THE SCANNED PAPER FROM WESTERN UNION. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY FOR ME TO PICK UP THE MONEY.

I'M WAITING FOR YOUR E-MAIL WITH THE SCANNED PAPER.

THANKS!
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm anxious to find out the outcome of this little endeavor...

I guess I'll just wait patiently....
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Let's give him the old "one digit off" story again:

---

Terry,

I am so sorry. This mistake is all mine. I know I gave you the transaction number: 4833962032.

But I was wrong. The real number is 4883962032.

Sorry! Please try one more time. This should for sure work. The scanned paper is at home and I'm at work right now.

Nancy
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

He's getting snippy again...

-----
No! It's wrong!
I'm waiting for your e-mail with the scanned paper from Western Union.
Please e-mail me only when you will send me the scanned paper.

Thanks!
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Let's calm him down if we can...

=====
Terry,

Why do you say that the number is wrong? Did you personally go to the office with your proper ID to collect the funds? I don't understand. The number is RIGHT, but you do need to confirm in person at the office. The transaction won't appear on the internet for at least 7 days, although the money is waiting for you right now. I just spoke again with the agent at the State St. office. Bruce Dickinson is not there today, but Miss Amy Pohler is at the office right now waiting for your agent to call.

Please let me know if you have gone to the office with the proper transaction number: 4883962032

I can't wait to get the Pultecs here! By the way, send me pictures of your studio!

Hugs,

Nancy
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

I can't believe this is still going on! It's like a sore tooth.... I can't stop touching it. This should be a reality show on tv.

Old 16th June 2006
Gear Maniac

You should have a blast with the scanned Western Union sheet idea and send him something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line!-wu.jpg  
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Guys, I'm not sure how much longer we can keep this guy hanging on. But Matt has given me a good idea. Can anyone make a good mockup of a Western Union form? I might even have to go to the office to get one and see what it looks like. That way, we can keep future scammers on the line a little longer.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

By the way, Scammer boy make ANOTHER trip to the office!

----
yes I was at Western Union office and they told me again to come with the scanned paper. why you don't send me the scanned paper from Western Union?????
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater
Guys, I'm not sure how much longer we can keep this guy hanging on. But Matt has given me a good idea. Can anyone make a good mockup of a Western Union form? I might even have to go to the office to get one and see what it looks like. That way, we can keep future scammers on the line a little longer.

http://images.google.com/images?hs=b...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Nice...let me doctor one up.
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
THIS MUST BE DONE BY 3:00AM LONDON TIME. If you miss the deadline, the replacement for Bruce Dickinson will be Mr. Saul Rosenberg, and his shift starts at 8:00pm Chicago time.
I've got warts... warts all over my ass.
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12
I've got warts... warts all over my ass.
yeah, you were the only one to catch that! Apparently, Frank Rizzo has moved to the Toledo office!
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah, you were the only one to catch that! Apparently, Frank Rizzo has moved to the Toledo office!
Yeah, and I do believe it's Sol Rosenburg, which would make it even more Jewish. To quote Trey Parker's South Park Jewish kid (Kyle's cousin), "Oh Ja-ezus, where are my glay-ah-sez."
Old 17th June 2006
Talking

ROTFL, you just made my day Resonator. Nothing like starting the day like this

Thanks!
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

This is probably one of the best threads ever, genius !heh heh heh heh
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Well, I was going to doctor up a WU document and send it to reso, but we decided that probably wouldn't be the best idea for a couple reason.

1) The scammer could use the document for his own wrong doings (I noticed how they all ask for a scanned copy of the document and find it highly un-likely that any WU office would ask for this)

2) The WU office might see the document and ask where if came from. If it ever came to light that this document was forged, they would come seeking whomever forged the document. I'd rather not have the FBI breaking down my door, and spend the next decade in some prison being bubbas "little friend".

In this light, there will be no scanned document sent to scammer. It's a responsible and reasonable decision, though it is also the lesser fun of the choices
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

I just sent him this:

-----

Hi Terry,

This is a hard letter for me to write, because you've been so nice, and so patient, and so generous with your time. Not to mention, you are a HOT European guy!

This Western Union transfer has been a TOTAL problem for us, and I don't know why. I again went down to the Western Union office and spoke with Mr. Sol Rosenberg about the problem. Even he does not know why the transfer is not going through. We reviewed all of the details of the transaction...your name, your address, my name, my address, the amount. Everything SHOULD WORK PERFECTLY. The good thing is that my money is still there, so at least nothing bad has happened to it.

Mr. Rosenberg cancelled ALL the other transactions and we're going to try this ONE LAST TIME. If this transfer does not work, I'm going to have to cancel the eBay Safe Harbor transaction and buy Pultecs from someone else. All of the details are exactly the same as they were, but the new transaction number is 83943-99485. Like before, this transaction will not appear on the internet for at least seven days, but it will be available starting Sunday at 14:00 London time if you go in person to the office. Mr. Rosenberg gave a personal passcode of: LzRtRetMnT. Please take all of this data down to the office and let's try this one more time. If this does not work, Mr. Rosenberg said that you can try calling the MAIN CHICAGO office, and ask for the SUPERVISOR there, Mr. Frank Rizzo who can help conclude the transaction.

That's the last thing I can offer. If this time does not work, then we shouldn't keep trying it. I will still want to party with you, and I will still want to see some pictures of your studio and especially learn some engineering skills from you. So, please, try this one last time and hopefully it will finally work perfectly!

Hugs,

Nancy
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

I can't wait to hear what Frank Rizzo's got to say!!! This is pure GOLD!!!
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Resonator,
This stuff is pure entertainment. I can't believe you've strung him along for this long. I have an idea for how you could stick it to him real bad though. Tell him if the last transaction doesn't work he should come to "party" with you and your playboy bunny/stripper friends on a trip to Vegas/wherever and you'll give him the money in person. Tell him he can then ship the Pultecs when he gets home. He'll think he's getting a free vacation, sex and money!! He'll definitely go for it. Only there'll be no Nancy to pick him up when he arrives at the airport! heh
Old 18th June 2006

say the next representative is "Thomas Tutone", and then give him the transaction number 8675309.
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Addict

I just found this thread and read the whole thing. Wow! I can't wait for the next installment.

John Link
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Here's his letter from early this morning:

=====
hello again,

if you don't want to e-mail me with the scanned paper from western union, you can send me the money via MoneyGram, will be more easy. Also you can pay the MoneyGram fees from the total amount.
=====

And our reply:
-----------
Terry,

I'm sorry...I thought I already told you about the scanned paper. I don't know anyone with a scanner or I'd send you the copy. When Mr. Sol Rosenberg made this last transaction, I asked if Western Union could provide me with a scanned copy, and he told me that their office now offers that service, but the scan is only put into a file for PC computers. I'm using an Apple Macintosh computer, and it won't read the file! I'm sorry. But still, you have all the good informations now and you should be able to finally receive the money today.

Please tell me that you have received the money after you go to the Western Union office.

Thanks!

Nancy
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
But still, you have all the good informations now and you should be able to finally receive the money today.
Be careful, Nancy. That "informations" make _you sound like a scammer. tutt Not that genius Terry will notice!

John Link
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

It's good to speak like they do so they never come to learn the English language better. Now he'll be saying "informations" for years to come!
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Addict

To take your idea a step further, you could even tell him how good his English is, explaining that he clearly understands that one item of information is singular and that two or more (your name, the name of the Western Union people in Chicago, the code number, etc.) would be plural.
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

My God. One of us should tally how many damned times this guy has gone down to the Western Union office! Here's the latest letter:

-----
Nancy,

i can't pick up the money. I went again to the office and they told me that i need the scanned paper. please send me the money via MoneyGram and pay the fees from the total amount.

------
And our reply:

-----
Terry,

Gosh, I'm REALLY sorry. Mr. Rosenberg promised me that this would work for sure. OK, please tell me about MoneyGrams. I've never used one. Where do I get one? Do I send it to you in the mail or something? Please tell me more informations about the MoneyGram.

When are you coming to the United States to party with me and my girlfriends?

Nancy
------

We might be able to get some new mileage from the Moneygram idea. Let's see how this plays out...
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

You could scan the paper in upside-down - "by accident" of course. Then at least he'll see you've sent something - but put the paper in the wrong way... and he'll have a nice clean sheet of paper for his efforts...

Should buy you another day of trips for this dude...heh

SparkyCanada

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search