The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line! Audio Interfaces
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Maniac
Recent ebay scam- on me

OK GS folks- I could use some advice. I recently got excited by and hit "Buy It Now" on a pair of old Vox PA Columns. I asked the Seller a few questions which were answered appropriately, quickly paypal-ed the funds and started communicating with a woman who claims to work with or for the Seller. I got a flowery report of how incredible they sounded with guitar and stereo effects, etc- and that they were being sent to a shop to make sure they were OK before shipping.

A month later after I started really panicking I received them- with one fully-operational column and one with two of four completely fried speakers in it. When I emailed the Seller- "dehallman" I was told that they were very disappointed in me, etc....i have requested either half my money back or for them to take the columns back....with no response.

I would like to warn other people about them- and I am not sure whether ebay, paypal or scam sites would work best. Any tips? Thanks in advance!
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

hilarious...

i had few "nigerians" too... it was reat but they got me pretty fast !
Old 10th June 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

hahaha

this is really funny

---just one thing : I didnt get how you thought he was a scammer in the first place ...
What was it ? The price in his ad ? The product description ? Why did you recognize him being a scammer in the first place ? You didnt tell us that... I like to know .
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

When you get one of those bogus "eBay Second Offer" notices, you can almost certainly be assured that you're dealing with a scammer. One email exchange, in which they tell you they're in London with their ailing relative and insist that you wire money via Western Union. It's a dead giveaway and means that it's "game on"!
Old 10th June 2006
I have had a lot of good second chance offers. usually the givewaway is western union, and many times the other country.

I find it sad that these guys are using western union all the time, because eventually nobody will risk using western union and they are going to suffer some major hits to thier buisness.
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

Likewise.. 'DHL' was to be used as the shipping company for the scam that almost got me.. I was sent a DHL invoice that looked genuine.. ALMOST!! Spelling mistakes, short estimated delivery time.. ****ty pictures.. The list goes on. The longer you looked at it, the more bogus it got.
I had some fun with scammer from then on but nothing like this Resonator!!!
Al Zarqawi, running through the forests naked, your two great leaders Bush and Blair!!!
Man this is good!!! Keep it giong Nancy!!
and GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!!! HA HA!!
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

No one has commented on the "secret word" buried in the passcode. Adam, that's a tip to you!
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Secret word or words?

Do the initials mF have anything to do with it/them?
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst
Secret word or words?

Do the initials mF have anything to do with it/them?
3D4UmF56UK
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Nut

The secret password is what cracked me up.................. ROTFLPMP
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater
No one has commented on the "secret word" buried in the passcode. Adam, that's a tip to you!

brilliant !

love the UK bit...

can we make this a sticky !?!?!
Old 10th June 2006
500 series nutjob

i am still lol heh
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Guru

I had a 2 week go round with a scammer last week ... not as much fun as this, but close.

He wants me to send the unit to Texas, he's in Seattle, and has a studio in Europe... right.

"The bank gave me a check for $6000, can you send me the extra $4000?"
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

This is the funniest stuff ever. AWESOME!

Matt
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Nut

Nice....
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Nut

3D4UmF56UK..................still ROTFLPMP
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Ah, poor boy made ANOTHER trip down to Western Union. Hey, everyone needs exercise! He'll thank us later. Here's today's letter from Scammer boy:

Hi Nancy,

I went again to western union and the same thing...they told me that the money aren't in the system....pls do something with this so we can complete the deal because i don't know what to do more...i have no idea what's going on....

Thanks and pls reply me asap

Terry

-----
Let's remember that Nancy is supposed to be off at the Wisconsin Dells getting her freak on. So we'll wait a few hours before responding later tonight, so our letter is waiting for him in the morning. I think it's time for a picture. How do you guys feel about this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line!-shakiracs.jpg  
Old 11th June 2006
500 series nutjob

heh
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Nut

ROTFLPMPS
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

I can't wait for this Nancy!!!
This tread is the sh iitt!
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

She bewitches us
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Guys, I just dropped scammer boy another letter. This one's a bit more social and should keep him dancing on the hook for a bit. Of course, I included the pic I posted here and named the file "nancyinwisconsin4.jpg" That should seal the deal when he puts it on his desktop, that scamming perv!

-----
Hey Terry,

It's about 12:30am here in Chicago. Late on Sunday night. Boy, did we have a wild weekend, and I'm just getting home. We did a LOT of partying on Saturday and got all dressed up to go to the clubs on Sat night. Here's a pic they took of me near the beautiful trees in the Dells before we went out. I drank a lot and got pretty wild with my girlfriends. Anyway, I'm really sorry that there is still some problem. When I get up tomorrow, I'll go back over to the Western Union office near my job and figure out what the hell is wrong. This is totally weird, and it must have something to do with extra security. Anyway, I'll write in the morning after I go to the office. I gotta get some sleep.

Bye,

Nancy
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

What a great new sport you've found resonator.Hahaha.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Priceless!

You ROCK dude!
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

What if he's gay or gets more excited by women like this:
Guys, we got a hot scammer on the line!-afghan_1.jpg
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

This is hilarious...
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Let's see if we can get one more trip out of this poor sucker. He seems to still be on the hook!

-----
OK Terry,

I just got back from Western Union. Your money is still there thankfully. Apparently, the World Cup has also forced more security with wires, on top of the al Queda threats to US and British people. That's the reason that you're having such troubles. SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go to Western Union and scan for me the business card for any associate that you can. As soon as I have that, Ms. Scaller will personally place the phone call to your agent to again verify that you are the only recipient. All we have to do is get this phone call placed so you can get your money and I can get my Pultecs. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE hurry to do this. Let's get this deal finished so you can come to the US to party with me and my girlfriends!

Write back soon.

Nancy
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Looks like homeboy fell for the purty pictures! He's getting his hopes up of coming to America to run naked through the trees of the Wisconsin Dells. I mean, this scumbag is like the Energizer Bunny. He just keeps making those trips down to the Western Union office. wow. Tomorrow we'll have to give him the old "wrong passcode" excuse. Oh, and you know that Hurrican in Florida is wreaking some awful havoc on international wires!

Here's his latest letter:

-----

I see never such a beautfiul American girl. Yes, I would very much like to come to America to meet you and your friends. Tomorrow morning i will go to Western union to see what can i do to resolve this problem.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

Marvelous.
Old 13th June 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

For real !!! heh heh heh I can't believe this ... !this is soooo funny .. you HAVE to ask him to send his picture too now ! Since you wanna see how he looks like when he comes to USA ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search