The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
POLL : Heavy metalcore best mix Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Here are the details of my mix

Mixed with Pro tools
Some reverbs and limiting with System 6000
Mix was sent through a HEDD to a C2

Guitars were reamped with a Krank Revolution One for the left side and a Peavey 5150 for the right, although I wasn’t happy with the results, I had to record the guitars in a garage monitoring with heaphones , had to use a digi 002 to send the guitar signal to a Little labs PCP and record the amps. tutt

I would have liked to reamp the Bass but didn’t had the time.

Would have been great that the guitar players had recorded one more original guitar recording for each side. That would have made the guitar sound fuller.

The Bassdrum is 100% sample, the snare is the original track + 2 samples, the toms are a little of the original tracks cleaned between + the original samples that Sly recorded.

This was mixed in a dfegad bedroom

About me:

I’m from Portugal. This is my “hobby”, I have a day job that consumes a lot of time so I don’t have much time to dedicate to recording as I wish I had. I made a few recordings in my spare time.
I also have a metal band but we haven’t got anything recorded.

Eduardo Apolonia "Eddy"
Old 22nd June 2006
One with big hooves

Just like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps on going & going & going & going...

It's been a busy few weeks in my world...mixed a couple three other things, the DAW melted...TapeOp Con was great!!! Except almost getting strandard in AZ really sucked thanks to US Air! In short...total bedlam!

Anyway, a while back...I think it was NormanNomad asked what I used to get the bass tone, like a FET compressor something & just nevergot around to answering that one.

Dude, there was a LOTTA smoke & mirrors on that there vibrating stick known as a "bass".

It started with the POD & the 421 coming into together, phase checked multiple times to see how it 'melts' into or outta the mix, then there's multiple compressors chained together...a couple three EQ's...a mult or two and a bit of somesorta stereo Flange from a TC box. All hardware...it 'plugs-into' the wall.

I can't even begin to explain it all with the hows & why's of what I picked & used because it's ALL based on what I hear so I did the next best thing.

I printed a stem of sorts.

Starts with ONLY bass & drums...drums mute a few bars into the thing & then we've got the 'whole' bass sound as it "sat" in the mix...then I started muting different elements of it. Killing a mult here & there, turning 'em back on...that sorta thing.

It's about a minute long IIRC.

Enjoy!
Attached Files

Bass_Example_GS.mp3 (1.83 MB, 2493 views)

Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Started watching this thread when it started....then gave up, now I'm back to see who won this thing out of pure curiosity....now I give up again....this is lasting forever, I think the Chili Peppers chose a mixer quicker than this!!!

Is this one of those "Everybody Wins, there are no losers" kind of contest?

JK....but not really....jk...well, not really....

Ok so I am kidding, but not really....
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
Just like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps on going & going & going & going...

It's been a busy few weeks in my world...mixed a couple three other things, the DAW melted...TapeOp Con was great!!! Except almost getting strandard in AZ really sucked thanks to US Air! In short...total bedlam!

Anyway, a while back...I think it was NormanNomad asked what I used to get the bass tone, like a FET compressor something & just nevergot around to answering that one.

Dude, there was a LOTTA smoke & mirrors on that there vibrating stick known as a "bass".

It started with the POD & the 421 coming into together, phase checked multiple times to see how it 'melts' into or outta the mix, then there's multiple compressors chained together...a couple three EQ's...a mult or two and a bit of somesorta stereo Flange from a TC box. All hardware...it 'plugs-into' the wall.

I can't even begin to explain it all with the hows & why's of what I picked & used because it's ALL based on what I hear so I did the next best thing.

I printed a stem of sorts.

Starts with ONLY bass & drums...drums mute a few bars into the thing & then we've got the 'whole' bass sound as it "sat" in the mix...then I started muting different elements of it. Killing a mult here & there, turning 'em back on...that sorta thing.

It's about a minute long IIRC.

Enjoy!
Sweet! Thanks for sharing your process. That was really cool to listen to!

Do you find yourself using the POD a lot for bass?
Old 23rd June 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad
Sweet! Thanks for sharing your process. That was really cool to listen to!

Do you find yourself using the POD a lot for bass?
No problem man!

Do I use the POD a lot...well...I don't own one so I'd have to say no! LOL

I don't really have a set method or "go-to" gear for ANYTHING.

Make the gig too cookie-cutter & boring.

There are some things I find myself using again & again because they 'work' for me on vocals or snare or whatever but it's not like I'm automatically inserting 'X' compressor or 'Y' stompbox every time. I usually try a couple different 'ones' before I settle on a box too...
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Addict

That's interesting Jay. Here's my clip with just the Kit and Bass Gtr.

Kit & Bass Gtr

I had a Bass POD Pro several years ago but it failed and Line-6 wanted about $300 to fix it... Needless to say it's still broken. I then sold my POD Pro.

I used Izotope's Trash and I've found that it doesn't take a back seat to any similar product. It does Bass Gtr very well. The multiband distortion and cab sim are excellent.

kp-
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hey folks !

As the metal compilation has been delayed to september, we decided to get more time to improve the mixes we enjoy the most.

The mastering session for the song is fixed on july 22nd, I guess the reason is that the engineers are in vacation until this date.

So you can post your final mixes before july 15th, and that is the final delay (no date changing this time for sure).

PS : I had the pleasure to meet trym^^ from this forum in germany, during the PRESSURE FEST. It's funny how the world is small !! I couldn't believe it when he was saying to me "Hi ! Are you Sly from Gearslutz ? It's trym^^ here..." while I was asking for a hotdog at a food stand ahah. Trym^^ I hope you enjoyed the fest, it was killer !
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Addict

I'd like to see a thread with nothing but entries. absolutely no dialog and with only one post per entry holding the URL.

Sly, if you think it's a good idea maybe start the thread.

kp-
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

can someone rehost the files on a fast server? I'd still love to do this but every time I try to download, its like 8 kbps speed...
Old 28th June 2006
Here for the gear

yo sly, couldn't believe my eyes - during as i lay dying just after i got a superman
dive straight in the face i looked around and saw a girl with a stillrise shirt.
i thought, man these guys are spreading popularity and then i thought hey whos this guy next to her, kinda recognize him heh you had some photos of yourself and the kit on the server so ... nice meeting you ! sunday totally RIPPED !! stood my ground at the front during cephalic carnage, darkest hour, black dahlia and the haunted.
man it was ****in hilarious, with trevor from bdh joining the crowd later ....
pressure 2007 here i come heh
Old 28th June 2006
Here for the gear

Here's my final mastered (kinda) version: Stillrise - Fade Out (Mix 6)

The unmastered track (if you want it) peaks at -0.9dB, so hopefully that's enough headroom for proper mastering.

Muttley
Old 29th June 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by trym^^
yo sly, couldn't believe my eyes - during as i lay dying just after i got a superman
dive straight in the face i looked around and saw a girl with a stillrise shirt.
i thought, man these guys are spreading popularity and then i thought hey whos this guy next to her, kinda recognize him heh you had some photos of yourself and the kit on the server so ... nice meeting you ! sunday totally RIPPED !! stood my ground at the front during cephalic carnage, darkest hour, black dahlia and the haunted.
man it was ****in hilarious, with trevor from bdh joining the crowd later ....
pressure 2007 here i come heh
Sweet!

I'd assume good times were had by all...

Koolness!
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Slutz !

Here are some great news about the mixing contest :

The whole band took its decision. the winner from the Stillrise mixing contest is :

EDUARDO APOLONIA

What we really enjoyed in his mix :
- Great balance and great mixing, good overall clarity.
- Compression added a huge amount of punch to the whole song.
- Guitars sound huge : not too scooped and brilliant.
- Bass sounds big and abrasive, just like I wanted from the start.
- Vocals sound nicely "in the mix" to me.
- Drums are very punchy, great triggering (and SSLish compression).
- It has that "metalcore" touch that I particularely enjoy and which really correspond to the idea I had of the song when recording it.

Bravo Eddy, very good job !

We also liked a lot the work Matt Smith and Jay "Moose" Kahrs did on the song, they are killer at mixing ! They brought their "personnal touch" to it. CJWall also had one of the best idea when mixing the vocal parts with his telephone effect and his famous "let's breathe before shouting"

The entire Stillrise band thanks all the Gearslutz community and more precisely all the guys who've participated to that Mixing Contest ! This is the only place where such a thing (with such a good attitude from everyone), is possible ! Thanks guys, for your time, your energy and the great ideas... It shows that there are so many ways to think and proceed when it comes to mixing ! It's simply amazing.

Personally, that mixing contest was a good feedback from the recording I've done and it's gonna improve my knowledge as a young engineer.

Thanks again and keep on doing the great job !
Old 12th July 2006
Bij
Here for the gear

Congratulations Eduardo.

Great job !
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Congrats Eduardo! Nice work

Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Here's Eduardo's mix :
http://homepage.mac.com/eduardoapolo...-7.mp3-zip.zip

There will be very minor changes in it before mastering.
The mastered version will be posted here in august.
Old 12th July 2006
Gear Addict

Way to go Eduardo...
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonixx
Way to go Eduardo...

Absolutely

I think the lesson learned to the band is the rhythm guitar voicing is everything in Rock and Ed changed it enough to at least fit the genre.
Old 12th July 2006
Gear Nut

loudness war? i thought that was mostly the job of the mastering engineer, if wanted and to be done properly..
but that mix surely sounds proper! congratulations.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Great news!!!
Thanks a lot for your compliments Sly and all you guys.
I have to say that it was great fun to do the mix.

I thought that the deadline was 15th of July.
I made that mix only using NS-10s. My Adams were at repair at the time.
I already received the Adams from repair and was going to make another mix tomorrow. Well since they already chose the prefered mix ... heh

I had never mixed anything recorded by someone else so it was a great experience.

Let's hear how it ends after some final touches on the mix and after mastering.

Congratulations also to all the ones who made their mixes, I heard very good ones

Here is the link to the mix with the right name:
http://homepage.mac.com/eduardoapolo...y).mp3-zip.zip
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Well done,Eduardo!
Old 14th July 2006
Here for the gear

Congrats. That's nicely done.

This was a load of fun to do, so thanks to the band too.

Muttley
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen
Well done,Eduardo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu77ley
Congrats. That's nicely done.

Muttley
Thanks guys
Old 9th September 2006
Gear Addict

thumbs up!
Old 15th October 2006
Here for the gear

hi there , prob late for this but i thought i'd post up my mix

http://www.purevolume.com/rolandlim

Mesa dual + 5150 2

recorded and mixed in Cubase Sx 3

Regards
Roland
Old 23rd October 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Roland,

I can't listen to your mix, is this normal ?
Old 11th November 2006
Lives for gear

Hey guys !

Do you remember the Stillrise mixing contest for the song Fade Out ?
You guys posted great mixes in here :kickass:

Now we are selected by ROADRUNNER RECORDS for a french rock/metal contest named ONDE DE CHOC.
If you could vote for us, it would be great ! The only thing you have to do is to send an e-mail with "STILLRISE" as subject, at the following e-mail adress :
[email protected]

Thanks to all of you !

Here is a recent console output recorded live from the song "Fade Out" (nov 3rd, opening for the german metalcore masters Neaera, in Montreux, Ned Club, SWI).
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Stillr...0Montreux).mp3

Enjoy it and keep on doing great music !
Old 15th November 2006
Here for the gear

:DDDDDDDDDDD

Tony u are here again???
www.playerturbo.com
Old 25th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums View Post
Hey guys !

Do you remember the Stillrise mixing contest for the song Fade Out ?
You guys posted great mixes in here :kickass:

Now we are selected by ROADRUNNER RECORDS for a french rock/metal contest named ONDE DE CHOC.
If you could vote for us, it would be great ! The only thing you have to do is to send an e-mail with "STILLRISE" as subject, at the following e-mail adress :
[email protected]

Thanks to all of you !

Here is a recent console output recorded live from the song "Fade Out" (nov 3rd, opening for the german metalcore masters Neaera, in Montreux, Ned Club, SWI).
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Stillr...0Montreux).mp3

Enjoy it and keep on doing great music !
Good luck!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search