The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
POLL : Heavy metalcore best mix Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st June 2006
Here for the gear

Sly?
He's so disappointed that... He decided to give the job to Bob Rock....
I decided to make an extra special stupid edition of my mix in the meantime.dfegad
Some may like it... Who knows... ? More fizziness, more infra-testicles... Funny.heh I hate it as much as my previous mix.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...1FD9045BAD5BA5
Old 1st June 2006
Here for the gear

Slyyyy? More dirt, more balls,more fizz? Sure.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...1161DA3FCD9E9F

Ok, I need to get over it...
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Smile ... soon the results !

lol Burny, amazing !!!

TO ALL :

It's quite hard to decide for us between the 20+ mixes available, but the winner's name will be posted very soon !!!

You have to know that the entire band appreciates a lot the job you guys have done on our music, it's simply amazing ! All the recently posted mix sound very good and that's why it's hard to tell which we do prefer the best.
Stay tuned !

For those who like to download the files for a personal work on them, I'll upload them soon and will post the link here.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

I can't say I've listened to EVERY mix, but I've checked out a ton of them.

I think it's safe to say - WAY TO GO JAY - your mix stands well above the rest. The kick drum isn't quite metal enough for me, but the overall balance is outstanding.

The major downfall to the others is the phasey guitar sound. It makes it really tough to listen to the song on the ones where it seems like ALL the guitar tracks were used.

As for me, I wish I could have participated. A song like this is right up my alley. But, when I tried to get the files they were taking 45 minutes a piece to come down and I only had two weeks left to get a mix done. I would still be waiting for files if I had kept up with it... (or maybe whatever was bogging down the server let up, but I didn't try again.)

ryan
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

for ****s and giggles I've reworked the bottom end ...

Reworked Bottom End Mix
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

Hi, then me too...

Here the mix again
http://www.silentbeat.de/MikeSilenceContestMix.mp3

About Me:

I am 30 and working in the R&D of a studio gear manufacturer and my studio is my other business. Own my studio since 1998 and made it to business not long ago but hope it will get busy soon.

What was used:

G5 2x2GHz and Logic 7.2 with few EQs in Logic on the guitars and my Soundtracs Virtua with the internal dynamics and EQs. For pumping the track up I used my secret and favourite plugin... the vintage warmer. *g*

Fave mix from the other entries:

Have to listen again tomorrow, still on work now (9pm) and I think I will just fall into my bed when I'm at home...

Greetz,

Mike
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

Hey Sly, what happened to the grande finale here? Any winners?

-Wick

Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

No winner for the moment, you can still continue to post mixes for a few days (until next week).

We imperatively have to have it mastered before june 20th, so the winner will be pointed out next week.

The drum and guitar tracks are available to download here (24/48) :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/STILLRISE/

For those who downloaded them and need the vocals and bass, PM me.
Old 6th June 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums
We imperatively have to have it mastered before june 20th, so the winner will be pointed out next week.
Keep in mind man...most mastering engineers & houses need at least a two week lead time to schedule stuff in.

Singles might be easier to slide in...but you still might encounter a rush fee of some sort at any of the "pro" shops.

Good luck!
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Head

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...D8899170C38478

it's a little too compressed, but i kind of rushed it. the kick is a bit wierd too.
Attached Files

Untitled.mp3 (4.00 MB, 132 views)

Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hey guys who keep using YOUSENDIT..your probably not getting many to listen

Gearslutz has its own server..just attach the file here if you dont have your own site.

about the mixes..

SLY..my advise would be to retrack the guitars until they fit with the genre. I hate D pedals..but the reference tracks all sound like Tube screamers are mixed in. Very bubbly..very middy..very distorted

no one is even close to the reference tracks. The reason is the guitars. You may have engineers say its a decent mix here and there..but fans want that hyper chunky guitar sound. If you A/B Clayman with the mixes here you'll hear what I mean.

..then provide those tracks to those guys who had a good drum and bass mix and the time to mix your song...and good luck bro.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute
SLY..my advise would be to retrack the guitars until they fit with the genre. I hate D pedals..but the reference tracks all sound like Tube screamers are mixed in. Very bubbly..very middy..very distorted

no one is even close to the reference tracks. The reason is the guitars. You may have engineers say its a decent mix here and there..but fans want that hyper chunky guitar sound. If you A/B Clayman with the mixes here you'll hear what I mean.

..then provide those tracks to those guys who had a good drum and bass mix and the time to mix your song...and good luck bro.

YES!!! I'll second this, with a vengance. I wanted to say something on the other thread, but felt with everyone buggin on my mix that it wouldn't be taken sierously (he's just bitter/etc). If the guitars were recorded and played properly (butterfingers isn't good), then it would be a hell of a lot easier to get the mix you wanted in the first place. I think the drums and bass are "livable", but the guitars are the weakness in the song. It's not only the recording, but the performance. They need to be played tighter if you expect them to pan and not get that "effecty" sound to them. If you want in your face guitars, you gotta play them really tight.
Also, I have no idea what happened with your "punchins", but the tracks were ruined for the most part at one point or another in the different tracks. The only one's I found usable all the way through the song were the JCM tracks, which weren't right for the song as the tone was wrong.

If you were paying me to mix this, I would have told you to re-record the guitars or I wouldn't mix it.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Great feedback !

We didn't had a lot of time to concentrate on the guitar playing and this one is just a "trying" from our studio, and every comment you can do will be awesomely usable for the record we plan to do in a few monthes.

We have a tube screamer pedal in the studio, but didn't used it.

I was pretty happy with the 5150 track which gave me the meat i wanted. I can't really explain what happened to tracks concerning the phase, because we didn't move anything and all was tracked in one day and a half... really strange.

Next time I'll do a trying with the tube screamer and will post it on there, and will take in count all the comments you guys did ! ... which bring a lot to me.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums

I can't really explain what happened to tracks concerning the phase, because we didn't move anything and all was tracked in one day and a half... really strange.
From the sounds of it, I'm almost certain that the culprit was your mics moving during the tracking phase.

Maybe one of the mic stands was no good?
Old 7th June 2006
One with big hooves

Riiiiiggghtt...

I still haven't heard any good explanation of why the different amp tracks were out of phase with each other.

I pulled up a single SM57/5150 track (they were the most usable IMO) and started comparing that to single tracks from the Engl & JCM800...

So we've got a single 5150 track & single track from whatever else.

Something sounded WAY funkier to me then it should have so I started hitting the polarity switch on my desk & low & behold...the phase relationship between the the tracks were changing.

Amp to amp tracks shouldn't change when the polarity is flipped...just like the phase relationship between the two different players won't flip because their tracks have no 'direct' relationship to each other with regards to the air that was moved at the time of recording.

Now, that ain't "right" and that's NOT a bum mic stand or sloppy mic technique. I dunno what that is besides wonky.

There was definatly something else going on...
Old 7th June 2006
was there any tape involved in the chain?
weird varispeed type stuff, inconsistent playback speeds, or some digital variation of the same

I just ****canned the 414 tracks carved the crap out of the engles/5150 and hoped for the best
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs

Amp to amp tracks shouldn't change when the polarity is flipped...just like the phase relationship between the two different players won't flip because their tracks have no 'direct' relationship to each other with regards to the air that was moved at the time of recording.
If you listen the guitars don't just JUMP out of phase, one of the mics drifts out of phase with the others... as if a loose mic stand was slowly recoiling away from the front of the speaker....

Maybe the mic stand could not handle the fury of sweet metal action.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad
If you listen the guitars don't just JUMP out of phase, one of the mics drifts out of phase with the others... as if a loose mic stand was slowly recoiling away from the front of the speaker....

Maybe the mic stand could not handle the fury of sweet metal action.

One of the tracks changes not too far into the song. It's not something that's "out of phase" with another track either. The track itself changes. You can hear it when it's solo'd. It's really crazy. I've never heard guitars do that before. The tone of the track was changed drastically, like the mic was moved from a nice spot by the speaker, to around the side of the cabinet or something.

No telling what went wrong.
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

On one of the guitar tracks, I believe the ENGL track. Is there a gate/noise suppressor on this track or amp? It sounded like anytime the guitar stopped, you could hear a noise suppressor triggering a little late? Did anyone else notice this or am I just hearing things.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

does anyone in LA have the tracks already on a disc/drive? Everytime I try to download I'm getting like 10kbps and the server times out.
Old 7th June 2006
I'm hitting your IP adress with a denial of service attack because I know you'll win heh heh heh
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
One of the tracks changes not too far into the song. It's not something that's "out of phase" with another track either. The track itself changes. You can hear it when it's solo'd. It's really crazy. I've never heard guitars do that before. The tone of the track was changed drastically, like the mic was moved from a nice spot by the speaker, to around the side of the cabinet or something.

No telling what went wrong.
Yeah, I know what you're sayin... maybe the royer dropped face forward and was pointed towards the ground?

Also what confused me was how the timing of the bottom snare mic started a bit behind the top snare... then somewhere it gets ahead of the top snare.. wtf?

I think someone let the gnomes out on that session.
Old 8th June 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad
Nah...I didn't listen to all of the individual tracks enough to notice that kinda thing on any of 'em.

But why would a single, say...JCM 800 and 5150 track have ANY kind of 'phase relationship' with each other?

Two mics on the same set of amps, printed to different tracks...yeah...I can see that.

But one mic per amp, per track? In theory (and in practice most of the time) they should have ZERO relation.

Bizzare...

The only thing I can think of is that the guitars were reamped & the tracks weren't slid around to match up. It's just another reason that I'm not into reamping guitars if it can be avoided.

There's just too many places & chances for weird stuff like that to happen.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs

But one mic per amp, per track? In theory (and in practice most of the time) they should have ZERO relation.
Totally, I understand this... but that's not what I was referring to.

I was hearing it between the 57 and 121 ... it was one take with two mics set up... or at least that's how I heard it... I could be going crazy.

Once I cut out the weird 1 second phase drift and zoomed in to realign the tracks the phase issue got better....
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

I think you guys have heard this track too often. I noticed on the left side guitars that the tracks were slightly out of tune, so I just slapped em through autotune which did seem to help quite a bit. Not that I like doing stuff like that, but I felt it did help.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Well, since the deadline was extended...
I had a little more time to mess with it last night, so I went ahead and reamped the guitars to get rid of the phase problems and get a more solid tone through the midrange. Sounds a lot better now IMO.

Matt's Reamped Mix

Matt
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen
I think you guys have heard this track too often. I noticed on the left side guitars that the tracks were slightly out of tune, so I just slapped em through autotune which did seem to help quite a bit. Not that I like doing stuff like that, but I felt it did help.

Err... you can't autotune a guitar track.

And I'm not saying, "You can't do that because it's not right," in the way that EMI said you can't close mic a kick drum prior to Geoff Emerick.

There are physics involved which can't be altered.

Not only are you dealing with chords rather than single-note lines, but the distorted guitar has way too many overtones (like a violin or a cello) to ever track properly in an autotune program.

ryan
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Continue to post your mixes !
We have a few days left before the mastering.

Great job Matt ! It's killer.

Just for the fun, here is the song we recorded, played live in Grenoble last march :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Stillr...011_03_06).mp3

This is a stereo recording from the live console.
I did my best to improve the poor sound (not everything in the drums was going through the speakers, no cymbals, no snare bottom + lots of vocals).
I had to EQ and compress the hell out of it.
It was a good show but as you can hear, the vocals and some parts were not played as we play it now.

Here is another more recent show, where I had the same problems to get a good sound :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Stillr...Fade%20Out.mp3

We play tomorrow with the australian metalcore band PARKWAY DRIVE, you can check them out at www.myspace.com/parkwaydrive (great analog sound !)
Great show I hope.
Old 9th June 2006

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search