The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UK Trip, Good News Need General Advice Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

UK Trip, Good News Need General Advice

So I am not sure if there is anywhere to post a thread like this buuuuttt....

I am going to London in Sept. for work to visit the Orange Amp factory and do a write up on them. I plan to stay from Sunday-Wed in London (Elstree Hotel) and then go to Paris for the next 2 days and fly out Friday. I am traveling form the US with wife and meeting 2 friends from the US out there.

Any places you guys would recommend doing besides the old tourist traps?

Steve
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Elstree is north london...on the very edge....so travel will be a little tedious.
So if it was just one day out and about....i guess i'd try and visit covent garden and the west end and on the way too or from there stop off at camden lock.
If you are up for a night of music i would guess Ronnie Scotts is a nice club...though it has become less of a Jazz Club over many years it is in soho ..frith street...and close to piccadilly and all the theatres...so very London.
If you just want a quit life and something to drink and snack on...Hampstead is a nice cozy part of town for a beer or coffee...but not very large or interesting unless you are into property ...Air Lyndhurst is down the road there..just make sure you don't get run over by George Michael!

If you plan a couple of days out..Tate Modern is on the river....hope it all goes well!
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

Thanks man! The only thing on my list to see is Battersea and the normal tourist stuff (parliament and bb) I plan on doing those on sunday after we land at night. Then Tuesday do a night out.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

I live on the end Northern Line underground system...so i don't know the Elstree trains too well...you may find there is a fast train into the city..
that might make my trip suggestion un workable as it relies on using the Northen Line into town...which meets Camden town and is very simple...
you might need more time than you have to back track up to camden, but on a sunny day it's a good place.
But a stroll in Covent garden /West End/Soho and an evening /couple of hours at Ronnie's would work time wise.
Although you'll need to check the trains closing times as ronnies used to be open until the wee small hours.
I would guess...travel times from elstree to central London might be anywhere from 40 mins to just over an hour?
You'd need to take the train from elstree and it looks like...go to London Bridge for the river or Kings Cross (a major hub and perhaps a good place to aim for connection wise depending on where you need to get to) to connect with the Underground system more generally.

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...y/station/ELS/

And the underground connections for elstree:

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...s-connections/

Good luck getting around London!!! you will need it as everything here seems most illogical until you see through the fog..and even then?!
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

are cabs super expsenive?
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

i'm afraid so.........getting into London by cab will be O.K ish as the hotel can help.
But getting out of london is more problematic....black Taxi's will be costly and mini cabs vary a great deal....
A good idea might be to return via the Northen Line to High Barnet...and get a cab from there to Elstree...which is not that far.

020 8440 1234 is a number i would use / have used for basic cabs round here In Barnet...and High Barnet Station is an easy place to pick up from.
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

Cool thanks man, I have lived within an hour of NYC my whole life so I am pretty good with subways (tube?). Anyway I think the real stuff I will have issues with is the language barrier in Paris, looking forward to it though. Sometimes work is cool :+)
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Ahh...Londons not a patch on New York......I suppose shelling out for a cab ride and doing it in stye is a good way to go...just ask ''How much'' first.
Rip Off Britain is alive and well!
And also...on the trip through the streets you will get a good impression of the state of our great nation!!!
have a great time in paris...they speak French there and use very strange plugs and drive on the wrong side of the road completely!!....
If you wanna prep for the UK you could do worse than listen to our great LBC chat station for a while!

http://www.lbc.co.uk/

There talking right now about Battersea and how it's ugly and no one will buy it!
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

Dramatic Double Decker Bus Fire........
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

James Whale wants the Power Station Knocked down!!
cab charges...the worst i ever heard was a £60 charge to get out this way.
i would expect to pay..maybe as much as...perhaps?? £30 or so...but parking a car down the west end for a night will cost £25 so...not really sure about cab fares these days..it's quite a Drive out to Elstree thats for sure...we got a real problem with eastern european drivers who have not exactly passed the non existant minicab test!
Old 24th February 2012
Battersea's pretty off-the-grid too, at the moment, bear that in mind, it'll take some planning to get there (it's not just a "hop-on-the-Tube" destination, it'll require some overland rail travel or bus work.)

Not much to see there - did you just want a glance at the power station? It's fairly decrepit!

To add to the cab thing: a black cab from where you're staying to Central London could be well in excess of £100, traffic pending. Minicabs are much cheaper (I'd guess £30-£40) - they'll have to be pre-booked - but some hotels will refuse to arrange them, so collecting that info ahead of time may help. Bear in mind that going by road is usually the slowest way to get from point A to point B in London.

I think the idea of "get a cab to the station" and then jump on public transport is probably the best one.

Bear in mind the Tube winds down for the evening just after midnight every day, so if you're out late you'll need to account for this especially if your trip requires connections.

If you are going to use a lot of public transport, get an Oyster card as soon as you can - it's a prepaid NFC travel card, basically - you'll be in Zone 6 so you're looking at a capped price of £8.50/day if you travel after 10am or £15.80 if you've started travel before 10am (money is deducted from the card until you hit the daily cap, as long as you remember to "touch in" on both Tube and buses and "touch out" at Tube stations). The cash/paper ticket fares are much, much higher.

Anyway, if it's your first time and you haven't got a lot of time I recommend the touristy stuff - some of it's really good - the museums are still all free too (mainly - there's always at least one "paid-for" add-on exhibit but the basics are all no-charge). But go see all the stuff you've only seen in books and on TV. Do the London Eye, wander all the way down the South Bank to Tower Bridge, you won't get bored!
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

wow there must be some traffic out there, 40 minutes to go ten miles? I mpaquested the hotel to big ben and it was like 12 miles. Is the traffic really that bad?
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

Yes I want to see the power station, been a huge floyd fan forever, acutely hav that thing tattooed on my arm
Old 24th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
i'm afraid so.........getting into London by cab will be O.K ish as the hotel can help.
But getting out of london is more problematic....black Taxi's will be costly and mini cabs vary a great deal....
Black cabs may just refuse to do it too, especially at night...

"sorry, guv, not goin' that way!"
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

wait so black cabs (is that like a limo) wouldn't go to battersea I understand that, but they would take me to my hotel right?
Old 24th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
Is the traffic really that bad?
Yep!

That's part of the reason why they introduced the Congestion Charge... an £8/day fee to drive into Central London. Meant to be a deterrent.

Europe is very, very, very crowded compared to N. America...
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

never thought it would be worse than NY/NJ and La
Looks like trains it is
Old 24th February 2012
Quote:
wait so black cabs (is that like a limo) wouldn't go to battersea I understand that, but they would take me to my hotel right?
Black cabs are the iconic taxis that you can hail from anywhere. They are metered journeys (whereas with a minicab the price will be told to you on the phone ahead of time and will be flat).

Black cabs are infamously known to refuse to go anywhere for any reason... they quite often roll the window down first to ask you where you're going before they unlock the doors to let you in.

I would say you'd have more luck using one to get to Battersea than you would to Elstree at night. The problem is sometimes they don't want to head that far "out of town" because it's harder for them to pick up fares out there. But you never know - if one refuses, just try another...

Old 24th February 2012
Quote:
never thought it would be worse than NY/NJ and La
Looks like trains it is
Black cabs are great for short hops within zone 1 (Central London) - although at "rush hour" the traffic gets worse and the trips get a little nasty - but at off-peak times if you want to save 10 minutes here or there, for £10-ish you can cover some fair distances quite quickly.

I just don't recommend using them for anything other than that...
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

took a look at population density via the google machine, London has about 4500 people per square mile, NYC has 26,000
Don't know how accurate either number is, keep in mind at least 2/3s of the people in ny on any day live in nj
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Cars just don't work in London....
so for Battersea it's got to be an early start..train to London Bridge..hail black taxi to the power station....do what you need to do....(ask the driver how to get back to an underground station!)...back into town for the rest of the day....find a mini cab office to get home or find the northern line out to high barnet station...call a cab to Elstree....simple!

26000 in NY!....but London is unbearable with just 4500!....
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
Cars just don't work in London....
so for Battersea it's got to be an early start..train to London Bridge..hail black taxi to the power station....do what you need to do....(ask the driver how to get back to an underground station!)...back into town for the rest of the day....find a mini cab office to get home or find the northern line out to high barnet station...call a cab to Elstree....simple!
Killer!! Yeah I just want a picture of battersea, I would even take it from across the river or the easiest way possible
Old 24th February 2012
Quote:
took a look at population density via the google machine, London has about 4500 people per square mile, NYC has 26,000
New York has the advantage of height which probably accounts for that.

There's nothing even close to a "skyscraper" in London.

Having been to NYC a few times I can safely say London feels way more compacted. Also, in terms of day-to-day numbers, while the official population is 7-8 million or something like that, the number of people who are actually in London is at least double that, counting tourists, business visitors, the number of people who live outside and commute in or pass through for other reasons (travelling from south to north, for example, or connecting between different airports or whatever).

Regarding the traffic situation, poor city planning has a lot to do with that. London has Roman origins and "city blocks" are a non-existent concept. Roads were built narrow and windy and with very little regard for the future.

Also, I'd go to either Victoria or Vauxhall to pick up a cab to Battersea - London Bridge is the other side of town, comparatively speaking!
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

Man, I am excited to get out there. I am super pumped for paris also, hoping to make this a once a year thing for work, who knows!
Old 24th February 2012
Despite our grim-sounding warnings about transport (we just want you to be prepared) - I'm sure you will love it. It's also almost impossible to run out of things to do and see.
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

I am bummed about the taxi thing, I drove cabs for a summer and think they are the best way to get around a city without any plans, but the subway seems like a great alternative, just wish my hotel was closer to the city but I am not paying for it anyway
Old 24th February 2012
Dont use Black cabs if you can help it. They are expensive and uncomfortable.

If you want to use cabs I suggest Addisonlee.com - very good service clean and professional (online, phone and iphone app) and good value. You get a quote before booking and they get to you pretty fast.

I just put the Hotel and Battersea postcode in and the quote was £55 and 1hr 10 mins, or £40 into central London. Thats not bad as the hotel is a long way out...

Also - if you want to use public transport use English - Journey Planner - Transport for London
Indispensable for London travel. I had a quick look and you can get a train from near your hotel to Kings Cross...

I second Camden - if you are in the North its a fun spot to visit. Go to the Camden Locks then have some lunch/Beer in The Lock Tavern or in the market.
If you want to drink where Winehouse etc did you can go to the Hawley Arms.

Not sure Id have Battersea Power Station so high on the list - unless they have an Art installation/exhibition on...
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

this is the exact hotel address
Centennial Avenue, Centennial Park, Elstree, WD6 3SB
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

isn't there a foot bridge that was built that shook like crazy in the wind?
Old 24th February 2012
That was the Millennium footbridge by the Tate Modern gallery (another old power station on the South Bank, now an art gallery). They've since fixed it!
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search