The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pendulum MDP-1 is a winner
Old 24th December 2012
Gear Head

It's the best preamp I own. And I have some nice ones!
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
It's the best preamp I own. And I have some nice ones!

That's teasing.

Henk
Old 24th December 2012
Gear Nut

More Teasing

Aloha,

The MDP-1a is the best preamp I own as well. I love it.

In the last year, I sold off an MP-2NV, a Pacifica, a 3124+ & an M-1 because the MDP-1a is all I need for my acoustic & vocal recordings. It soars!

An MDP-1a/CMC6 w/MK41, MK2 or MK22 combo's are all you need to make pristine, open & musical sounding recordings of a solo fngerstyle acoustic guitar.

Don't hesitate if you are considering buying a Pendulum MDP-1a or b.

alohachris
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Hey all,

I really love the sonics of my pendulum as well. One thing that I have noticed is that it is very susceptible to 60 cycle hum. Though I do mostly remote work, I don't take my pendulum out except on special projects. It has bitten me in the ass on several occasions. I have tried a bunch of solutions. AC ground lifts, audio ground lifts on input and output as well as ground lifts on gear before and after in the chain, an in line transformer, etc. nothing works in the heat of the moment, and i have usually swapped in my other ATI MX-2 and it is super clean and great. The pre's are typically plugged in to an Apogee a/d16X via dsub to xlr snake. Also, it has the same issue in our API room and is sort of noisy in our 88r room, though not as bad.

Now, I would think I have a dud unit, but strangely I have a colleague with the exact same pendulum and he also has the same issue with his at least in our studios. I never have any other issues like this with any of the other pre's I regularly use. Mostly two different great rivers, an ATI 8MX-2, and occasionally others. I really love this unit, but wonder if others have this issue, and if there is something inherent in it's design that makes it susceptible to this issue. In most places it is is completely fine, with the exact same setup and even I believe, and this is bizarre, the exact same cables.

At this point, I have almost given up on it. I need gear that I can use everyday. I often don't have the time to plug things in to see if they are clean. In remote work, stuff has to always work from bar 1.

What have you heard and what should I try?
Thanks.
Cameron
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Addict

Cameron,

I totally agree with you on the MDP1's susceptibility to 60 cycle hum. Especially when using the Line Inputs on the rear. I was enjoying it on the 2-bus until I noticed the slight 60 cycle hum that was creeping into my mixes. I'm moving to a new studio in a week with a big Equi-Tec power system and well planned out wiring so I'm hoping this problem might go away. (Fingers crossed) Like you, I tried everything from ground lifting to using it on and off other power sources coming from my Furman Balanced Isolation Transformer. Finally I gave up. I still love the preamp. But I'd LOVE to get to the bottom of this 60 cycle problem.

Maybe we can get Greg to chime in here????
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I've had mine for several years now, and it seems dead quiet on any input. But, it stays put in the studio, so never gets moved.

Do you also have the rack ear mounts insulated from the metal rails (if you have 'em)? I think it mentions in the manual that it's best to insulate the rack ears from the rails, and that's what I did. When I first saw that in the manual, I was afraid I would have noise problems with it. Never have... and I have no special power conditioning or additional grounding at all.

downtempo.dub.psychedelic.twang
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Do you also have the rack ear mounts insulated from the metal rails (if you have 'em)? I think it mentions in the manual that it's best to insulate the rack ears from the rails, and that's what I did. When I first saw that in the manual, I was afraid I would have noise problems with it. Never have... and I have no special power conditioning or additional grounding at all.

downtempo.dub.psychedelic.twang
At one point I removed my MDP1 from the rack entirely to see if I could get rid of the problem. Made sure it wasn't touching anything conductive, etc. Didn't seem to improve anything for me in terms of the hum.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Would a tranny at the outputs help?

Henk
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Oh no.............. moved, as well.

So what exactly should we talk about to keep high end units in high end?

I do want to play by the rules and I do respect the mods' time and energy spent. But I can't make heads or tails out of this anymore.

Henk
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

I think it is a bit bizarre that this has been moved. Especially to a forum that in my five + years as a slut, I have never once felt the need to visit. This thread is almost difficult to find now. I don't get it either.

As I said in my earlier post, I have tried Jensen transformers on the output. I have also tried isolating the chassis. Nothing has worked yet.

Cameron
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

I would think your best bet, at this point, is to get in contact with Greg directly, and possibly send the unit back to him to go over. Also, maybe record the noise you're hearing before sending it out. Maybe he'll have some ideas as to what might be causing it and how to get rid of it.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

I would normally think that my unit is a dog and so should go back to Greg, except for the fact that my colleague's unit does exactly the same thing. Also, another fellow Slut has replied here with the same issue. Three folks seems to be a pattern. Again, sometimes it can be just fine. Maybe this preamp works well for most individuals who take it to their studio, only use it in that one location that works for them. On the other hand, I believe there must be something about it's design that makes it more susceptible to ground loops. This is a problem I can't say I have ever gotten with any other preamp I have used in over two decades.

Cameron
Old 11th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by roonsbane View Post
On the other hand, I believe there must be something about it's design that makes it more susceptible to ground loops. This is a problem I can't say I have ever gotten with any other preamp I have used in over two decades.
Maybe because the MDP1 is unbalanced out and there may be issues with your wiring?
Old 17th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack View Post
Maybe because the MDP1 is unbalanced out and there may be issues with your wiring?
I was going to suggest the same thing.

Never had a problem with mine except for a bad tube in 10 years time. This pre is the only thing to use on vocals. Period. Won't record vox without it. Huge difference to anything I've ever used before. I also use it on double bass and acoustic guitars. Magnificent. Also on flutes. Equally amazing. I do not use it on guitar cabs. Does not sit well in the mix but I'm guessing electric guitar amps is not it's specialty for some reason, but on vocals and acoustic instruments, it's great. Well worth every penny. I've also ran stereo mixes through it direct. Interesting, but I rather use my pre settings with my Metric Halo for that if I'm going for that sound. Easier to stay in the box at that moment. Cheers.
Old 7th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Got it Friday, tracked vocals where it went from transparent to larger than life (i chose larger than life) with the internal gain structure and today used both sides as a DI for keys. Doesn't get nasty - just hi-fi or big. Exactly what I was looking for in a tube pre. Not a bad deal new but at used prices a no brainer.
Regarding the b model with the custom transformer
anyone know were to get one ?
or give more info about that transformer
thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search