The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Regular John Recording
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Regular John Recording

Hey all...

I'd like to offer an "Honorable Mention" to Dustin from Regular John Recording out of Raleigh, N.C..

Dustin builds great custom comps and eqs from scratch, and does a mighty fine job at it.

About a month ago, I contacted Dustin to inquire about purchasing a stereo EQ from him. Even though I was fairly wishy-washy with what I wanted, not having much of a chance to demo anything, over about a month, he repeatedly and patiently answered all my questions with knowledgeable precision, and let me to the conclusion that perhaps his stereo EQ/Comp combo might be a good choice.

Well, just as this had all taken shape, I found that exact unit for sale used, for considerably less $$, so I felt I had to pounce on it, being the poor bloke that I am. Well, understandably, many would think I'm a major-league prick for leading Dustin on and then buying his product used.

The story takes a turn for the better. When I wrote to Dustin to admit my sin, he was HUGELY gracious and supportive. He couldn't have been kinder. In fact, he pointed out that he would STILL offer his lifetime warranty on the piece, even though it had been through several other owners! If that isn't the cat's meow! Plus, he guided me through some of the confusing operational points of the unit, and sent me off with a pat on the back.

So... if you're thinking of purchasing a piece of higher-end gear at any point in the near future... give Dustin a zap. His prices make your eye brows raise, and his build quality is superb. My eq/comp has a sweet creamy sound that anyone on here would value.

Kudos to Dustin!

Over and out!
Old 19th March 2014
feel the same. just ordered an eq for my mastering system, ive been using his compressor for over a year now, i use it on 80 percent of my mastering projects, get great results, the sound is superb, i take his comp over my smart anyday of the week.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

+2 My RJR comp is one of the finest compressors I've ever heard. Versatile and unwavering in both action and tone.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Yup. Couldn't agree more on all fronts. I have his "SSL" style comp and his La2a. The SSL is fantastic but the La2a is insane! Sounds absolutely huge and is all hand wired. Point to point. Based on 1968 schematics. Soweter trafos and nos RCA tube. Great guy great gear. I'm ordering his rev a 1176 soon too.
Old 19th March 2014
I use my custom "Actual Size" bus processor every day. I waited a long time for that thing to show up. It was worth it.
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Head

Hi,

I am thinking of buying the compressor + bandaxal eq rack unit from this dude, anybody have any experience with it?

And also, price?

Thanks
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

That's what I bought from Dustin. See my original post... Still holds true... Several years in!
Old 26th March 2014
yeah he's a cool dude. respect to you also for fessing up.

How much does he charge these days for an SSL with blend, oxford mod and the stereo bax? Thats an enticing combo...
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Head

Also a huge fan here of Dustin at RJR! I've been rocking separate buss comp and bax eq units for a bit, and he's now building his new Rev A 1176 (he now has his own PCBs for it) for me.

It's kind of hidden, but here's the rundown on his prices nowadays: Regular John Recording - Raleigh, NC

Quality, customization with both design and features, pricing, life-time warranty, and overall an awesome guy to deal with makes his gear a no brainer!
Old 5th April 2014
Does anybody have any samples of his SSL style comp or the bax EQ? I'm planning on getting one from him but its just kind of hard to put the trust of a huge purchase like this on words of strangers from the internet. Even something like i used the compressor on this mix or the drum buss.. or anything really. Before and after would be fantastic :D
Old 5th April 2014
Lives for gear

Dustin is a fanatic bloke. He's helping me with an eq design at the moment - even knowing I plan to offer it commercially.
Old 21st April 2014
Gear Head

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
yeah he's a cool dude. respect to you also for fessing up.

How much does he charge these days for an SSL with blend, oxford mod and the stereo bax? Thats an enticing combo...

Regular John Recording - Raleigh, NC <-- All the pricing can be found there.

Dustin is a champion bloke to deal with.

I've ordered a custom COMP/EQ with all the features listed on the site and then some more.

(Switchable Sowtec input transformers on EQ + EQ HPF)

Current waiting time is around 4 months, so be patient, but then again everything is custom... and the designs look HOT!!

Can't wait to use this thing on my mixes!!
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear

From memory (but it's all on his site) you order a base which is the eq or comp and then add any of the additional extras such as trafos - usual stuff
Bax eq was $800'
Rjr sick sick sick was about the same
Sorry that's all I can remember but check his site - very reasonable and you can see the quality of the work - and see all the good words said about him you'll get a great service.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Very old thread, but I'm bumping it just to say that my RJR units are both still kicking it, mix after mix, after nearly 10 years of use. I have a buss compressor/EQ (gold front, bakeware knobs, blue led meter picture on his site) as well as a custom "Ellay 4" stereo drum compressor unit. They are the bees knees, and they were perhaps the best money I've spent on hardware, period.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search