The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rupert Neve's Portico compressor SMOKES
Old 27th April 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Greg Wells's Avatar
Rupert Neve's Portico compressor SMOKES

I didn't want to like it. I own compressors from 2254a's to the Abbey Road Chandlers to Dakings to Alan Smart to all the usual suspects.... and this new Portico compressor kicks serious butt over all of them.

Really.

The more vintage "feedback" mode is sick. For what it's worth, it honestly sounds better than any 33609 I've used. The "feedforward" is equally pleasing, just less colored/more modern sounding.

To top it off, it sells for under $1800 which is ridiculous. Check it out, fellow gearslutz.

Greg
Old 27th April 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 

This is crazy. I was JUST thinking about buying one and wandered onto Gearlsutz. But I thought, can this thing be THAT good? I didn't LOVE the Portico pre amp, but I LOVED the Tape Emu.

Hmmmm... you got my credit card all hot and bothered.
Old 27th April 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Are any of the knobs on the Portico Comp stepped? I'm a recall slut.
Old 27th April 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Greg Wells's Avatar
Portico love

I didn't care for the Portico mic pre either... quite disappointed, actually. But the tape emulator is amazing and I can't live without it.

The new compressor really is THAT good. There are some frustrating things missing, like the link button only links the input voltage to both channels - you have to set all things on both sides. No stepped knobs. Also the metering is "limited" - but what you get for $1750 is unprecedented.

I called them and bought a second unit after listening the the first one today for 15 minutes. In fact, I joined gearslutz just to pontificate about this compressor.

Greg
Old 27th April 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
dim light's Avatar
 

Cool web page Greg!
Old 27th April 2006
  #6
Re: Rupert Neve's Portico compressor SMOKES

smoke's coming out of the XLR's ?.....
Old 27th April 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 
DrDeltaM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell
smoke's coming out of the XLR's ?.....
Heritage from his Amek days?
Old 27th April 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Greg Wells's Avatar
you're just jealous
Old 27th April 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 

I'm seriously considering one (I actually love the Portico 5012). But here is my problem. Previous posters haven't been too enthusiastic about the compressor. Somebody said there was an issue with the attack time being too slow.

Half the posters at Gearslutz seem to be gear retailers - some openly, and some trying to hide the fact.

So I have some difficulty believing a one-off new poster.

When you say it "smokes" - exactly what on? Bass, vocals, guitars, 2 bus???
Old 27th April 2006
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Look at Greg's web page, it doesn't look like a retailer!
Old 27th April 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapemod
Look at Greg's web page, it doesn't look like a retailer!
Nope, it sure doesn't!

Hey, I'm also interested in what it sounds good on too though.
Old 27th April 2006
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Hey Greg, who did your website? Very niceheh
Old 27th April 2006
  #13
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
Half the posters at Gearslutz seem to be gear retailers - some openly, and some trying to hide the fact.
Which is really bloody annoying. The bottom line to any of this is that any reputable shop will be happy to take the unit back if it doesn't fit the users sense of aesthetic. There are maybe a 1/2 dozen shops in the US that have been made Portico dealers... those 1/2 dozen shops are pretty straight up. All of them have reputations to protect and there isn't a single compressor sale that is worth the hit to the shop's reputation for cramming a product down someone's throat when they don't want the thing.

No two of us have the same sense of aesthetic. One man's ceiling is another man's floor and all that. The only way you can tell if something smokes for your applications is to try it in a variety of applications and make an educated decision. People whose work you've never heard are welcome to have an opinion which when coupled with the "sheep factor" can lead to a love fest frenzy around a new piece of equipment that nobody will talk about after a few hundred units are sold... but the bottom line is that only someone who uses the equipment can determine whether or not that hardware is right for their applications or not.

The only thing pimps can do is get the 'ether' up and start the conversation to gain some publicity for a new piece of hardware... and while I'm sure that sells some steel to a few within our ranks who are easily taken... it doesn't lead to long term health for anyone involved.

Bottom line is that you need to listen for yourself before you make any decisions... fukk the pimp bull****...
Old 27th April 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
shangoe's Avatar
 

filezzzpleaze......heh
Old 27th April 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 
proxy's Avatar
 

Oh THAT Greg Wells...

I just stumbled across your name in the liner notes recently. I was thinking, some of these tracks I really like, some I don't... Oh, I dig the Greg Wells stuff apparently...!

Nice work, and thanks for the review!

- Justin
Old 27th April 2006
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Which is really bloody annoying. The bottom line to any of this is that any reputable shop will be happy to take the unit back if it doesn't fit the users sense of aesthetic. There are maybe a 1/2 dozen shops in the US that have been made Portico dealers... those 1/2 dozen shops are pretty straight up. All of them have reputations to protect and there isn't a single compressor sale that is worth the hit to the shop's reputation for cramming a product down someone's throat when they don't want the thing.

No two of us have the same sense of aesthetic. One man's ceiling is another man's floor and all that. The only way you can tell if something smokes for your applications is to try it in a variety of applications and make an educated decision. People whose work you've never heard are welcome to have an opinion which when coupled with the "sheep factor" can lead to a love fest frenzy around a new piece of equipment that nobody will talk about after a few hundred units are sold... but the bottom line is that only someone who uses the equipment can determine whether or not that hardware is right for their applications or not.

The only thing pimps can do is get the 'ether' up and start the conversation to gain some publicity for a new piece of hardware... and while I'm sure that sells some steel to a few within our ranks who are easily taken... it doesn't lead to long term health for anyone involved.

Bottom line is that you need to listen for yourself before you make any decisions... fukk the pimp bull****...
FLETCHER heh i've been missing you around here , it's great to have you back !
Old 27th April 2006
  #17
Lives for gear
 
ArcCirDude's Avatar
 

Well, well! Yes, indeed! Welcome back, Fletcher!
Old 27th April 2006
  #18
Hi Fletcher,

Have you had a chance to test it out yourself yet? If so, what do you make of it? And is it more suited to tracking or 2-bus or a bit of both?

Cheers.
Old 27th April 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
I think the guy who said the release times were screwed up was Salvator, and he said it was because of an error in one of the production runs (that was fixed). Besides that he (and everyone else) seem to love it.
Old 27th April 2006
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Greg Wells's Avatar
a pimp?

I am not "pimping" anything. I heard this compressor yesterday in my studio and it made me ridiculously happy. My bold title stating this thing "smokes" came from total enthusiasm, not from trying to hawk gear. I joined gearslutz last night for the sole reason of daring to share that information... and all the folks here realize that people have different taste and need to hear things for themselves. Duh. I have zero affiliation with Rupert Neve and paid for this product like everyone else.

I tried the Portico compressor on drums and then the stereo buss. Amazing on both, if you love that gorgeous Neve gush thing (feedback mode, not feedforward).

Thanks for the comments on my silly website - I was so impressed with the White Stripes website I contacted the company that did it and asked if they'd consider doing a little website for me. The company is in Seattle, called Royal Magnet, and the guy that designed the website is Michael Griggs.

http://royalmagnet.com/
Old 27th April 2006
  #21
Lives for gear
 
GP_Hawk's Avatar
I havn't heard it yet myself, but am waiting on one. Should be here in a couple weeks. I'm one that liked the sound of the 5012 so I got 2 a while back. It looks like a versatile peice though.
Old 27th April 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 
jdjustice's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells
I didn't want to like it. I own compressors from 2254a's to the Abbey Road Chandlers to Dakings to Alan Smart to all the usual suspects.... and this new Portico compressor kicks serious butt over all of them.

Really.

Greg
Thanks Greg for weighing in with your experience. I haven't heard it yet, but then again, before your post, I didn't even want to. I too have a strange desire to hate the Portico stuff, mostly because I think Mr. Neve probably could design a toilet that won't flush and it would sell thousands of units. So since he could (and can) do whatever he wants I wasn't as sure that he is putting in all the effort nowadays. Apparently, according to your post, I am dead wrong. Thanks again for your opinion. If the comp is so good that you joined this forum just to proselytize about it, then it's definitely worth checking out.

j.d.
Old 27th April 2006
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Greg Wells's Avatar
Thanks, j. d. I truly did join to spout off about this thing 'cause I couldn't contain myself. I don't like the look of the Portico's, don't like the Portico mic pre at all, but flipped over this compressor. Flipped.

In another thread, someone was talking about an Audio Technica mic that's a phase aligned dynamic and condensor mic that he swears is amazing on guitar amps. I'll check the mic out. I like reading posts about things I may not have heard that seem worthy of at least auditioning. It's in the same spirit that I can't shutup about this compressor. Also, Rupert's tape thing is pretty incredible, but I really wish it had a "blend/mix" knob on the front. It's either on or off.
Old 27th April 2006
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
jacobq's Avatar
 

Hi Greg,welcome to gearslutz.

I am interested in what it is you did not like about the 5012. I find it to be a very versatile preamp. I do not own the compressor"yet".

I use the 5012 with a pair Klaus U87s and it sounds simply incredible to me.
Of course this may have alot to do with the beauty that klaus brings out in these mics.
Old 27th April 2006
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Greg Wells's Avatar
Jacob - I was able to compare it to several other excellent pre's, like Joe Chiccarelli's holy grail 1073 (Joe was engineering a record for me a month ago), the Brent Averill 1073 repro, and the Chandler LTD-1. In "Silk" mode it got close but was still not in the same ballpark as the others. It's a good little pre but doesn't sound much like a 1073, which is what I was, and am always, looking for.
Old 27th April 2006
  #26
Lives for gear
 
jdjustice's Avatar
1073 fav's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells
Jacob - I was able to compare it to several other excellent pre's, like Joe Chiccarelli's holy grail 1073 (Joe was engineering a record for me a month ago), the Brent Averill 1073 repro, and the Chandler LTD-1. In "Silk" mode it got close but was still not in the same ballpark as the others. It's a good little pre but doesn't sound much like a 1073, which is what I was, and am always, looking for.
Greg, if you are consistently looking for that "1073" sound you must have decent experience with the many clones avaliable. Can I assume that you prefer the sound of the BAE and Chandler clones to other units, such as the Neve-AMS 1073 DPA/DPD, the Neve-AMS Re-issues, the Great River (which I know was modernized quite a bit), the Vintech X73, and the Wunder Audio versions?? And if you do prefer the BAE and Chandler units, is it because they are the most accurate (IYO) clones you have tested, or do you just like their sonic qualities overall?? And if the BAE and the Chandler are indeed your favorite, which gets more use in your studio?

Thanks for any response about your feelings on this issue. I have been reading the specs on that Portico... now I will have to try and arrange a demo or find someone I know with access to one of those 5043's.....

j.d.
Old 27th April 2006
  #27
Lives for gear
 

just got back my "repaired" portico 5043 today.
I have one of the first batch (nr 10 indeed) with wrong attack/release.
I assune that without being in the forum I would still have it unrepaired.

Have to say that my experience with high end compressors is limited but I am just trying and comparing vocals on all combinations Portico 5032 and Portico 5043 as well as Earthworks 1022 and tfpro 10 mighty twin.

Both compressors (tfpro and portico) have a nice but really different tone. Especially the tfpro compressor makes my voice much bigger in a very nice way.
I was testing vocals and I did like most: EW 1022 --> tfpro P10 (just the compressor mode3). Very open and big. The second best fit for my taste was the portico combination with the vintage compressor setting.
Old 27th April 2006
  #28
Lives for gear
 
stealthbalance's Avatar
 

there is no auto release on the portico !!!!!??????

THERE IS NO AUTO RELEASE ON THE PORTICO ????????????

so much for the 2 buss .... what is rupert thinking??

s
Old 27th April 2006
  #29
Harmless Wacko
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbalance
there is no auto release on the portico !!!!!??????

THERE IS NO AUTO RELEASE ON THE PORTICO ????????????

so much for the 2 buss .... what is rupert thinking??

s
Get with DE PROGRAM... Senor SB.

We don't need no steenking ottoreleazz...

Use de knobbies. Otto don't work no good anyway.

We call it "Program INDEPENDANT releazz".

Smash mariachi band to peices.



SM.
Old 28th April 2006
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Jim vanBergen's Avatar
 

Ah, Slipperman,
Thank you, I needed a good chuckle!

Cheers bro-

(Oh, and I love my Portico Pre, I own but have not even LISTENED to the tape emulator, but I am planning to buy the comp- have been since I heard it was being designed.)

My name is Jim, and I'm addicted to gear. I'm also just addic; (SIC) heh but that is a whole other story. My opinion and five bucks will get you a cup of burned coffee at Starbucks....if you wait in line.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump