The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Walk in - Play - Walk out Condenser Microphones
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Walk in - Play - Walk out

I just published a website for a new webshow I host from my studio which is called "Walk in - Play - Walk out". Inspired by shows as lfdh.com and the FooFighters Youtube video were they play 49 minutes straight, and inspired by the fact that too many cool bands that come into my studio never get the attention they deserve.

Every month we have band/artist walk into my studio, play their songs and walk out again, hence the name of the show. No audience, no big show, just a band playing their music. We just published the first episode (February 1), although we already see things we can improve, we're still proud on it! 1ste Episode is 25 minutes, but we aim to make sessions with 15 minutes music max.

We have a facebookpage here: Walk in - Play - Walk out - Wall | Facebook

Website is Walk in - Play - Walk out | Walk in - Play - Walk out

Cheers!
Sven

Last edited by Svens; 7th February 2012 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: updated
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Looks cool. When will the first episode be up?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey looks and sounds great , Just one suggestion , perhaps put a link up to the bands website that you have come in. I looked around quickly and could not find any links to SEEKA . Would be could to hear more from them .
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

our deadline for the first episode is October 6..I'll post here :-)

On the site there are links to SEEKA right in the text underneath the video and when you click on SEEKA in the "featured artist" section, you get to their page where you can see their link in the text again. I just posted a link to their Facebookpage on the "Walk in - Play - Walk out" page, thanks for mentioning!
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear maniac

Dude!!! Awesome idea bro...

Great way to get some good music out there... too much under-exposed talent out there that never gets heard!!
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Anthony....Yeah, true...I really get great bands over here, pop, rock and jazz....so many talent...and after they recorded its so hard for them to get some exposure. Really a shame. Hopefully this helps....and besides that....its fun to do!
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

We have a bit delay with our website, we want it to look awesome so waiting on a better design, should be fixed really soon....untill then, we are previewing a song from the SEEKA-seesion on our webpage and our FB-page:

Walk in - Play - Walk out | Facebook

Coming sunday the next band is recording ther Walk in - Play - Walk out session: Fulvia di Domenico with her band....Welcome to My Site
Old 19th October 2011
Looks and sounds great men!
I'm doing the same thing but much much smaller.
I don't have the room for it (It's happing in my livingroom) tielines to my project / mix studio room next to it.
So no full rock bands. More acoustical stuff.
I think its becoming a new thing. The last year I this live livingroom/recording studio video's all over the web. Just pure performence @ its best!

Trouwens Sven... Website van de studio? SEEKA klinkt echt goed!
Old 19th October 2011
Gear nut

Hi Sven,
this is a GREAT idea. I toyed with the idea of doing just this when I shared a studio near Amsterdam but there was no internet at the studio.
I'm interested to know: what would you say would be the minimum requirement for the gear needed and internet bandwidth to do this?
I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Van Speijk
P.S I thought the bands would be streamed live on the internet. I know it's possible but techically more difficult. Have you thought of live streaming?

Last edited by Van Speijk; 19th October 2011 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear
love the idea, we have a tv show in australia which i think is british called straigh to vinyl.

the band walks in and tracks an album direct to a vinyl master disk cutter. the whole session gets recorded to vid and airedon tv
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

@leMauce: Thanks man! Yes, I think this is the future too. Too much sh*t on tv, so many nice things on the interwebs, and its getting more and more...From a livingroom is great too. Back to basics and you need some skills to pull it off that way, as a technician and as a musician.

As Loud As…Record & Mix | Recordingstudio & Proaudioweblog is my studio where I do all the Walk in - Play - Walk out sessions...Running it for 10 years now..near Arnhem. Kom maar een keer koffie drinken :-)

@van Speijk: The show itself is not streaming live but played out from Vimeo and Youtube. I do stream the recordingsession live via Ustream though, not the best quality but its good enough to get an impression. I have a Sony camera (with a moving head) which I can operate remotely, its output is fed into a Canopus videoconverter which is connected to my laptop via firewire. Thats all. The Canopus unit goes for 250 euro's I think. For the "Walk in - Play - Walk out" sessions I use 4 HD camera's and a small crew offcourse, and everything is Multitracked in Protools. Koffie staat klaar!
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

@gouge: Thats an awesome idea...straight to vinyl...lovely. Im gonna check it out. Thanks!
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds great!

Can you share some details on the audio side?

Mics, techniques, etc?

Thanks!
Old 19th October 2011
Gear nut

Thanx Sven,
I have a friend near Arnhem (Heelsum) so next time I go see her maybe I'll be able to come along and say hello.
Will definately keep checking your site for this.

@LeMauce : where can we see the living room performances? Also a great idea BTW

Van Speijk
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

@Joao: Well...I do what I think is best.... Also I keep in mind what looks good on screen. So for toms, I used Sennheiser E604 clips because you can mount them on the toms so you dont need stands....makes a cleaner picture. Kick was a B52 on a Primacoustic Kickstand, Snare was 2 SM57's, Hihat CK1, oh's were DPA 4011's. Guitar were SM57's Royer 121's and C414's (quite a bit guitaramps, not al were used), Bassguitar was an Avalon DI. All went straight into my MCI preamps, some compression here and there from Manley, Neve and Summit comps and then in Protools. All was mixed in the box. Rightafter the recordings I get a videofile from one of the cams (Panasonic HD, dont know what type) which I can import in Protools to mix to. All is editted in Premiere Pro....Check my studiosite As Loud As…Record & Mix | Recordingstudio & Proaudioweblog for a gearlist, speakers, outboard etc...

Coming weekend I'm recording a jazzcombo for this show, I just bought some SE/Neve mics that sound great...they will be on overheads. Check the facebookpage and the website when it is ready for the whole session (5 songs)..Peace
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear
Great Idea.

That is the problem with so many of my clients too. After the recording is done, they don't know what to do (I'm in a small town, very hard for them to get connected or feel part of something bigger)

I usually suggest getting their social networking happening, play lots of shows and find a good agent/manager to get them into the right places.

If a band is truly good, really understands marketing and takes that end seriously it might happen for them.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

@ van Speijk: let me know!

@ Los marbles. Thats what it is nowadays: you need to do some kind of marketing to get somewhere. There is so many music, that is getting harder and harder for people to find you. So many talented bands you see at the studio and they dont get anywhere because of their non-marketing. On the other hand: Facebook/Twitter is not the key also since every band/act is on there. Such an overkill.....its hard!
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

Cool idea
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Yohami!
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

We have Fulvia di Domenico in our studio tomorrow for the recording of the second episode of "Walk in - Play - Walk out". From 12:00 we'll stream the recording live via my site. Not hi-res, but good enough to get an impression:

Livestream | As Loud As…Record & Mix

Check Fulvia here: Welcome to My Site
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

It's been a while since the last post here, but done quite a lot of work on the site...Almost there, just "soft" published the site, first session will be online 1st of Februari and features Amsterdam based band SEEKA who played their Hiprock for us. By that time, presskits will go out and the site will officially be "live". We already recorded 4 shows, we will publish a show every month.

Check it out: Walk in - Play - Walk out | Walk in - Play - Walk out
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear Addict
That is a beautiful idea.
Old 3rd January 2012
Engagement Manager

Looks great
But I'd make it clearer on the site that it's just previews for now
There are a few links that make it look like you'll be able to watch the Seeka session now and it was frustrating searching for it only to realise it's not live yet

Anyway Good luck with it all
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

@Kasper: Thanks

Good one Sniperschool, thanks. Mentioning that on the homepage now...Cant do that on the sliding pictures now.
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

By the way: Sessions are free for bands/artists. Offcourse we try to maintain a certain level of musicianship and we have our own taste, so not every band/artist can do a session. Also, we dont do dubs/edits/tuning afterwards, nothing. It really is what it is, because we like bands who can perform live. If any band is interested: We wont pay your travelcosts, but if your good and you can play, let us know!
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Old 7th January 2012
Gear Head

Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetyrrell View Post
Looks awesome man, best of luck with it. Reminds me of the BBC Live Lounge sessions in a way.
Thanks!
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Great idea and nice execution!

Two things I didn't like, and not sure if they will be left alone or if there's a chance to look into them.

1.I couldn't find a volume control bar on the website's player, and because the last time I watched a clip on vimeo I muted the playback, it was still muted on your website, and I only found out because I went looking for the other links for a different player. That was a bit distracting, especially since it's a music website :-)

2. The thumbnail images under the video player are not part of the buttons to the links, and it's so common nowadays to use those as direct links, it was a bit unnatural having to click the titles instead.

Otherwise it's really nice and I'll be listening in.

SD.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search