The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An Update Regarding Sir Elliot Plug-ins DAW Software
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Software An Update Regarding Sir Elliot Plug-ins

Hi.

I would like to thank everyone who supported my designs.

All of Sir Elliot plug-ins has been tested on Windows 8 Developer Preview and functions to spec. In the event you choose to move to wards Microsoft’s latest platform, rest assure Sir Elliot plug-ins will have no issues adapting to Windows 8, 32-bit core, operating system. There is a video demonstration available clicking on the below link.

http://sirelliotdesignnews.wordpress.com/

After two years of offering plug-ins I will be focusing on hardware design. I have 20+ years of hardware design & repair experience and, it is time to go back to my roots.

I will continue to offer new VST designs but it will not be at the forefront. I might add the newer designs will be aimed for the high sample rate user. This means, the newer designs, will not support 44.1 nor 48 kHz sample rates.

The first model that will fall under this criterion will be the 21-Band Vintage Equaliser, which is the characteristic (Colour) version of the 18-Band Equaliser.

64-Bit versions should be available in autumn of 2012.

The older designs will always be supported unless I literally discontinue the model. Please visit http://sirelliotdesignnews.wordpress.com/ monthly on news regarding Sir Elliot plug-ins.

Greetings from New York!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirElliot View Post

I will continue to offer new VST designs but it will not be at the forefront. I might add the newer designs will be aimed for the high sample rate user. This means, the newer designs, will not support 44.1 nor 48 kHz sample rates.
very bad idea IMO. most people still mix rock/pop/indie in 44.1 or 48. while many of us record at higher rates, the audio generally gets converted down for the mix.

personally i use your pre-amps all the time and i like them, but they certainly wouldnt cause me to move up sample rates when there are other options that can take their place and keep my cpu at respectable levels.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

They're your plugins, your designs, your decision, but it is true that we're mostly a 44.1/48k mixing folk.

Look forward to hearing what you cook up next.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

I am certain that many will not fancy such a change. However, bear in mind that I am putting full emphasis on hardware design from this day forward. So even the plug-ins designed for higher sample rates will not be developed at the same pace as my older models. The higher sample rate versions offer frequency bands beyond 24 kHz for those who prefer a broader frequency bandwidth than what 48kHz sample rates can offer.

The older designs will be available and supported providing I don’t literally discontinue the model. Models are discontinued based on their traffic of downloads.

This is one of the reasons why I turned down donations or never charged for my designs. For I knew I would sooner or later resort back to my roots of being hardware designer.

Possibly in autumn of 2012 when I design 64-bit plug-ins I will return to 44.1/48 kHz sample rates. As for now, I’m focusing on hardware design.

This announcement is more of what Americans call a “Heads Up” on my whereabouts than, assuming I fell off the face of the earth.

Thank you for the support.

Sir Elliot.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

@SirElliot

Thank you very very much Mr Elliot for All your contribution in the world of plugins. Your plugins are one of my favorite I must admit and seeing you updating your plugins and thinking ahead for upcoming Win 8 OS, is really much appreciated.

Wishing you as well All the best in your back to ROOTS (the hardware world).

Will be for sure reading you and following you thru your upcoming projects.

Once again, Thank You
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

I too very much enjoy your plugins. Just out of curiosity, what type of hardware will you be designing?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'm designing large monitors, amplifiers, and, valve equalisers.

Cheers!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
@SirElliot

Thank you very very much Mr Elliot for All your contribution in the world of plugins. Your plugins are one of my favorite I must admit and seeing you updating your plugins and thinking ahead for upcoming Win 8 OS, is really much appreciated.

Once again, Thank You
+1

Ciro
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Since a 2x oversampling option would make 44.1 into 88.2 and 48 into 96 to get the same quality, why not
that? It allows those with projects at 44.1 or 48khz sample rates to use them. As the majority of projects
in production today (even in big studios) are 44.1 or 48 you may lose them. Perhaps it is more complicated
it's understood. I respect the new direction for your company and I wish you the best with that hardware.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
---

Last edited by Confusionator; 19th September 2011 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Deleted because I mis-read the announcement
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
Well, to be honest, if you go down this route of discontinuing service for recently introduced products, and adding arbitrary limitations (like no operation at 44.1/48k), I will NEVER buy your products. Because, what you're saying is, you don't take support of legacy products seriously.

Now, you might say, "hardware and software are different." And that might be true. But it doesn't matter to me: I only pay my money to companies that take ongoing support as seriously as they take the initial sale.

hmmm to be fair most if not all of SE's plugs/time invested and work have been offered for free, maybe you should consider that.

I agree its a shame that 44.1/48 won't be supported personally I only use 48K down to 44.1
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
Since a 2x oversampling option would make 44.1 into 88.2 and 48 into 96 to get the same quality, why not
that? It allows those with projects at 44.1 or 48khz sample rates to use them. As the majority of projects
in production today (even in big studios) are 44.1 or 48 you may lose them. Perhaps it is more complicated
it's understood. I respect the new direction for your company and I wish you the best with that hardware.

Hi.

My most popular (downloaded) plug-ins offer fixed delay for they are over sampled. That was pretty much standard procedure with the majority of my designs.

Having a plug-in up sample and down sample internally versus having the audio file residing on a higher sample rate is like comparing two 8 –inch speakers versus one 15-inch driver. From a diameter perspective two 8-inch speakers are larger however, the tone offered by two 8-inch speakers cannot match the sound of a single 15-inch driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
@SirElliot

Once again, Thank You
Cheers Sonar!

Keeping one step ahead is another reason why I am ceasing production on 44.1/48 kHz models. The reality is computers sold today are 64-bit, so I must make the transition as well. Once Windows 8 is released, 64-bit systems will overshadow 32-bit systems significantly. The common mentally of the average consumer is to buy a new computer when Windows offers a new Operating System.

44.1/48 kHz vsts will return in autumn of 2012 when I introduce 64-bit plug-ins.

The 64-bit versions will be free as well. I can make more profit with no loses selling custom designed audio hardware equipment than a dll file.

I am very critical on having my designs work properly in a wide variety of hosts, so before I release 64-bit versions they must past my tests. As you may recall, I wouldn’t offer my pre-amps until they worked properly in the most popular hosts.

You should see new 64-bit designs in autumn of 2012. But, as I mentioned, hardware design will be at the forefront from this day forward so, the consistency will not be the same.

Greetings from New York!
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
Well, to be honest, if you go down this route of discontinuing service for recently introduced products, and adding arbitrary limitations (like no operation at 44.1/48k), I will NEVER buy your products. Because, what you're saying is, you don't take support of legacy products seriously.

Now, you might say, "hardware and software are different." And that might be true. But it doesn't matter to me: I only pay my money to companies that take ongoing support as seriously as they take the initial sale.
You may want to re-read what I said for you are creating confusion on yourself.

Cheers!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirElliot View Post
You may want to re-read what I said for you are creating confusion on yourself.

Cheers!
Ah, my apologies!!!! Yes, I skimmed your announcement too quickly.

I've deleted my original post. I would ask anyone who copied and quoted my post to delete that as well, as it is all unfair to the designer.
Old 23rd June 2014
when will the 31 band in 64bit be available?
Old 29th June 2014
Looks like this guy has vanished of the face of the earth
Old 16th November 2014
Lives for gear

Sir Elliot said "VST plug-ins designed from September 2011 onwards, will not support 48 kHz and below sample rate audio files."

Which are the ones designed after September 2011?

I ask because I work with Pro Tools (using Fxpansion "VST to Rtas adapter") at 44.1 Khz and even his lastest plug-ins appear in Pro Tools, so, what´s wrong here?
Old 6th June 2015
Here for the gear

It is very a pity that Preamplifier 1952 it is not accessible in format VST. Or there is a hope?
Old 6th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Sir Elliot said "VST plug-ins designed from September 2011 onwards, will not support 48 kHz and below sample rate audio files."

Which are the ones designed after September 2011?

I ask because I work with Pro Tools (using Fxpansion "VST to Rtas adapter") at 44.1 Khz and even his lastest plug-ins appear in Pro Tools, so, what´s wrong here?
I think what he really meant, was all VST plug-ins designed from September 2011 onwards will not support any computer whatsoever, as he hasn't made a single one since then. Maybe he died!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search