The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
hats off to the mods for deleting entire threads that violate forum rules. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

hats off to the mods for deleting entire threads that violate forum rules.

The place has a much more civilized feel to it. Good job.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

wow
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
Well, let me be the first to publicly and respectfully disagree (only if that's still allowed, of course). In a civilized society, folks are allowed (actually encouraged) to express their opinions without fear of recrimination. Granted, things do often get out of hand here, but you will find that in any kind of forum. As for me, I felt a lot more welcome when we could talk freely about the merits/evils of using Xanax or whine about having our car towed and getting a parking ticket(sorry for the pointed comment-I just don't have it in me to resist). I am still grateful to Jules and others for making this site possible, but let's remember it is the opinions expressed by its members that make Gearslutz so valuable and entertaining (and help sell the ad space that keeps it alive). All too often well meaning efforts to improve things ultimately end up leading to their destruction. Let's all hope that doesn't happen here. Just one man's sincere opinion.

Larry
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adathead 53 View Post
Well, let me be the first to publicly and respectfully disagree (only if that's still allowed, of course). In a civilized society, folks are allowed (actually encouraged) to express their opinions without fear of recrimination. Granted, things do often get out of hand here, but you will find that in any kind of forum. As for me, I felt a lot more welcome when we could talk freely about the merits/evils of using Xanax or whine about having our car towed and getting a parking ticket(sorry for the pointed comment-I just don't have it in me to resist). I am still grateful to Jules and others for making this site possible, but let's remember it is the opinions expressed by its members that make Gearslutz so valuable and entertaining (and help sell the ad space that keeps it alive). All too often well meaning efforts to improve things ultimately end up leading to their destruction. Let's all hope that doesn't happen here. Just one man's sincere opinion.

Larry
Old 22nd December 2010
Gearslutz has set the bar for what I consider to be a great internet forum, and part of that is because of job of moderators - all very fair folks.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm just glad an audio forum is now about audio. The off topic stuff cheapens the site.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Gonna jump in and agree. When I am looking for 1st amendment outlets, I have plenty to pick from. This is not one. Thanks for doing all you can to keep it focused.

I know there's a few other folk here (if they haven't already left) from the rec.audio.pro days. It suffered from the chaos of usenet that was once its strength. Hate to see this fall into the same trouble.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
Well, I actually agree with you guys, believe it or not. That's why I normally skip right past "the moan zone" and "the good news channel". I've found very little in either that's audio related. Hey, I try to be a sensitive guy. I'm sorry your dog, cat, hamster or whatever died. I'm real happy that you've found your soulmate and I'll be sympathetic when she divorces you and you have to sell all your gear and give her the money. And God knows there is a lot of music that makes me cringe (with or without autotune),although I do my best to keep that kind of stuff to myself lest someone might think me racist or against young people, of which I am neither by the way. But none of those topics are going to help me make better recordings, which is why I came here in the first place. So, by all means, let's all do our best to keep it audio only. My initial response (okay, overreaction) was based mainly on this:

How does a guy who not long ago started a thread about his car being towed(then jumped into the "Xanax thread" to scold everyone for being "off topic") now start this thread praising the mods for enforcing this policy? If we'd ALL done better staying on topic in the first place then there would be no need for enforcement. But, as someone told me long ago-"the guilty dog usually barks first".

I know it has to be a big job to moderate this site and I don't envy Jules or any of the other mods trying to keep things in line. It is a great community to be a part of. To anyone who was offended by my earlier post, I offer you my sincerest apologies.

Larry
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adathead 53 View Post

How does a guy who not long ago started a thread about his car being towed
that was before the rule change when the moan zone was for anything and everything not political or religious. I applaud the rule change and have stuck to it. Just for the record. And for the record, getting towed SUCKS.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search