The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
All hail the Nail Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

All hail the Nail

I love this comp!

Currently hitting ~13db (!!) of GR on the mix bus with just a titch of the dry signal mixed in, ridiculous! This is what I get for not looking at the meters and using my ears, I guess... usually less that half that is where I get with any other comp.

Been using it a while now- the Nail is still and will always be the mix bus machine for me no doubt.

I track with it every day too...
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post

Been using it a while now- the Nail is still and will always be the mix bus machine for me no doubt.
until the next greatest thing since sliced bread shows up here on gearslutz..lol!

kidding..glad your digging it
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

good lord that is some GR! heh
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
until the next greatest thing since sliced bread shows up here on gearslutz..lol!

kidding..glad your digging it
Hah- that's what people here said when I first bought it.

Used most, love 'em all, but this is the one for me... it's already paid for itself many times over.

And hell yes that is some serious gain reduction! I had no idea it was hitting the mix that hard.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

+1!

this is a very cool box. really unique at shaping and providing energy to a mix. have had mine for about three weeks now and it resides on the mix bus (along with the ubk clarity control). killa!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yea, man... seriously cool box. Worth every penny!thumbsup
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

got any sound samples? i'd like to hear what -13db of gain reduction sounds like on the mix buss. i'm imagining something very squashed?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radic View Post
got any sound samples? i'd like to hear what -13db of gain reduction sounds like on the mix buss. i'm imagining something very squashed?
+1

Any way you can provide some electronica examples? I can upload some Dragon examples in return

I really want the Nail for the 2-buss.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sure, this track is no big deal to share, since it was a quick mix just for fun and to help my friend out with his remix. Plus Roots and John Legend stems? Yes thank you!!

I ended up taking about 11-12db off with the Nail and a couple three db or so with the Smart C2. FIY the pumping effects aren't from the Nail compression, they are done with plugins triggered from the kick. And yeah, the huge sub drop was that loud on request...

John Legend Featuring The Roots - Shine Remix Contest - Indaba Music

I have a lot of electronica tracks (house/dubstep/electro) but I can't share 'em... some will be released in Feb or March, you may hear them then...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
+1!

this is a very cool box. really unique at shaping and providing energy to a mix. have had mine for about three weeks now and it resides on the mix bus (along with the ubk clarity control). killa!

Have you compared to other compressors? How is this one different
from the others?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Used most, love 'em all, but this is the one for me... it's already paid for itself many times over.

Which others have you used?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

A few years ago when I first learned about the NAIL that Peter Montessi was going to release, I was very excited. I've become a very big fan of A Designs products over the years, amazing boxes---and reasonably affordable. I remember when he brought me the Hammer to try out---I listened for about 5-seconds, stopped and turned around with a stare and it kind of freaked him out. I'm known to be VERY critical of gear (and tell what I really think)....I stopped and Told Peter this reminded me of a more affordable version of another box (I can't say it here). The HM2EQ (Hammer) is a wonderful EQ IMHO that is a great combination of passive and color in one box. THe Nail is a wonderful compliment or just a professional all-around compressor that CAN be used for tracking, mixing, AND mastering. Congrats on your buy, it's a good one!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nice mix--can't believe you're hitting it that hard, doesn't even sound smashed due to the open/sparse arrangement--and your friend's remix is crazy!
Old 17th December 2010
500 series nutjob

sweet robot gigante!
the A-Designs HM2 NIAL is just one rocking cool comp: )~
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackish View Post
from the others?
Yes of course. I've posted some some comparisons in some older threads about the Nail, to reiterate I bought it not long after it was released, and I'm still stoked on it as when I got it. I've used, geez, I don't want to wear my fingers out listing them all, most, since I've been freelancing at various studios for about ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydeluxe View Post
Nice mix--can't believe you're hitting it that hard, doesn't even sound smashed due to the open/sparse arrangement--and your friend's remix is crazy!
Thank you!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackish View Post
from the others?
what's a compressor?

yep! on the mix bus (which I've been using this most on), have experience with the dramastic audio obsidian, smart c2, api 2500, ssl clone, chameleon labs 7720, stock fatso, and ubk fatso.

the nail differs from each of the above listed units in its own way. for me, I just dig the overall sonics this box imparts on the mix bus. it sounds like compression, but not super heavy handed. you can tweak it so it's compressing super hard, but for my use a little goes a long way, whether it's actual gain reduction or amount that is mixed via the wet/dry knob. not having a ratio control per se is interesting in its own right. once I started experimenting with the box, threshold and hard threshold, etc., I began to not be concerned too much with what knobs I was turning, but rather using my ears and just tweaking till it was working on the mix in an interesting way.

the only one I truly didn't dig in general was the chameleon labs. it was overall a bit boring, but that's just me.

oto
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I agree. Generally I'm not spanking the bus by nearly as much. It depends on the arrangement and maybe even the genre.

I actually like the Chameleon Labs comp for some stuff though.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree. Generally I'm not spanking the bus by nearly as much. It depends on the arrangement and maybe even the genre.
absolutely!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search