The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
from PC to Mac G5 Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

from PC to Mac G5

Just got a nice 2.0ghz dual core G5 loaded with 6.5gb of ram with leopard to use with my PT m-powered rig...ooooooh what a feeling. so easy to use, so stable. I dont think i'm ever going back to PC for music production.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

The G5s are still really usable computers - I use one quite frequently and whilst it's no MacPro, it's still damn fast!

Once you go Mac, you never go back. thumbsup
Old 3rd April 2010
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
Just got a nice 2.0ghz dual core G5 loaded with 6.5gb of ram with leopard to use with my PT m-powered rig...ooooooh what a feeling. so easy to use, so stable. I dont think i'm ever going back to PC for music production.
Well, I'll shed a little tear for you, and we'll speak no more of this-
Happy easter-
[email protected]
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

I feel like I'm 10 years late
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Congratulations on your new superior experience!
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Maniac

The presumption the Mac is better to use in music production is a vehicle marketers use to gain brand loyalty. You sir have just been marketed. Have fun with your dinosaur.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really, only a Dual core.....? I run a Quad PC with no issues and 2 UAD cards...plus my FF800.

I am intrigued my the Mac OS as well, but would need a quad or Dual quad, and at Mac Pro prices, I'll hold off.
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Addict

congrats

I still use my dual 1.25 g4 heh and ibook g4 and they kick ass, and are 2 solid motherfu**ers!

In my mind G5's are still very usable towers!!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
just an fyi, avid is offering no more upgrades/updates for ppc users. intel based only. so you will be stuck where you are at. this is not a big deal to many, just giving the info.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
just an fyi, avid is offering no more upgrades/updates for ppc users. intel based only. so you will be stuck where you are at. this is not a big deal to many, just giving the info.
I was aware of that...but I freelance at 3 big studios in Montreal and ALL of them still use PTHD 7.3, so honestly I'll be happy with PT 8.1 for a year or two, untill I can afford a Macpro.

Quote:
You know what they say, better late than never!

Seriously though, I know just what you mean. I was a hardcore PC user for many years, I even built and tweaked my own Windows machines, and despite my best efforts, I never had the feeling of total stability on a PC that I've always felt from day 1 on Mac. Blue screens of death, orphaned DLL files, registry junk, BIOS tweaks, IRQ conflicts, there was always something that it felt could go wrong (and don't get me started on the viruses and spyware that would inevitably gunk up the works). So I was always thinking about the computer as well as the work at hand.

With my Macs, I don't think about the computer at all, it kind of disappears or becomes irrelevant. The only thing that I focus on is whatever task I'm working on at that moment.

I know there are lots of guys who are very happy on PC's and it works for them, and I'm happy for them. But not me, I'll never go back.
That's exactly why I'm so happy about my G5. I mean, have you guys took a look at the heat diffusor system and the overall design of the tower? It's amazing. A pc casing like this one would probably cost 200$+ at newegg.

I've always built my own PC systems and yes, always many IRQ problems, random reboots, blue screens, "shaky" feeling when recording etc. It's still a good system but as my studio becomes busier and my "name" gets more recognition in the region here, I need the stability that Mac offers me.

Quote:
Really, only a Dual core.....? I run a Quad PC with no issues and 2 UAD cards...plus my FF800.
It's quite fast with the Ram...I'm thinking about upgrading to the full 8gb of ram, too. The processing might not be like a Macpro, but it's still faster than my previous PC (intel core 2 duo 2.8ghz).

Quote:
Congratulations on your new superior experience!
Thanks
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBreed View Post
The presumption the Mac is better to use in music production is a vehicle marketers use to gain brand loyalty. You sir have just been marketed. Have fun with your dinosaur.
You are aware Microsoft has a marketing department too? They will tell you a PC is better in music production.

Have fun with your productive, stable operating system. thumbsup
Old 5th April 2010
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
You are aware Microsoft has a marketing department too? They will tell you a PC is better in music production.

Have fun with your productive, stable operating system. thumbsup
Somebody close this thread please?
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Relax guys, this a forum where we share the joy.
As I said, I still use PCs and still build them, let's not turn this into some debate. I'm just really happy with how my Mac works with PT and how simple things are with this machine.

Cheers
Old 5th April 2010
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Relax guys, this a forum where we share the joy.
As I said, I still use PCs and still build them, let's not turn this into some debate. I'm just really happy with how my Mac works with PT and how simple things are with this machine.

Cheers

Putting stability aside, at the end of the day simplicity is what got me to switch to Mac. I have a full time day job and a family. I record part time, and monkey around with my own music whenever there is leftover time to burn. I can't be farting around with configurations, chipsets, upgrades, etc. I just want something I can turn on and run my software. If I had the time to build a super hardcore Windows machine I would, but I just don't have the time. I'll pay a little more for something that doesn't require any brain power to operate and will do what I want out of the box.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA View Post
Putting stability aside, at the end of the day simplicity is what got me to switch to Mac. I have a full time day job and a family. I record part time, and monkey around with my own music whenever there is leftover time to burn. I can't be farting around with configurations, chipsets, upgrades, etc. I just want something I can turn on and run my software. If I had the time to build a super hardcore Windows machine I would, but I just don't have the time. I'll pay a little more for something that doesn't require any brain power to operate and will do what I want out of the box.
Except for Firewire bussing (potentially non-) issues, this is what did it for me too - I just plug my Macs in and they work straight away.

The amount of time I spent faffing with my PCs was extraordinary. Haven't had a single PC for two years now, and it's great...
Old 11th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA View Post
Exactly mac s are so easy and work like a charm i have all macs and i was helping a buddy set up his pc for audio with cubase and a lexicon usb unit and nothing but issues what a piece...

I still use pc's but for non-audio video stuff
Old 11th April 2010
Congrats!

G5 dual 2.0 is a Rock-Solid machine! I absolutely love mine! thumbsup
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Head

im using a g4 with dual 1gig and i thing a gig and half of ram and it runs protools just fine, and i only bought the computer for $150 i swear it funs almost as fast as my macbook.

i do have a question tho. somtime when i record with my g4 i get a slight clipping sound on the audio and none of my equipment shows any clipping and it doesnt happen on my macbook with even higher levels im kind of a newbie but would the computer be causing that some how
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
You know what they say, better late than never! heh

Seriously though, I know just what you mean. I was a hardcore PC user for many years, I even built and tweaked my own Windows machines, and despite my best efforts, I never had the feeling of total stability on a PC that I've always felt from day 1 on Mac. Blue screens of death, orphaned DLL files, registry junk, BIOS tweaks, IRQ conflicts, there was always something that it felt could go wrong (and don't get me started on the viruses and spyware that would inevitably gunk up the works). So I was always thinking about the computer as well as the work at hand.

With my Macs, I don't think about the computer at all, it kind of disappears or becomes irrelevant. The only thing that I focus on is whatever task I'm working on at that moment.

I know there are lots of guys who are very happy on PC's and it works for them, and I'm happy for them. But not me, I'll never go back.
Ive had my PC for about 2 1/2 years no crash yet ... People trash PC's but its the same with a car. If you dont maintain it like changing oils etc etc your car will not perform as it should. Defrag and Registry cleaners are your friend believe it or not
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1820 View Post
im using a g4 with dual 1gig and i thing a gig and half of ram and it runs protools just fine, and i only bought the computer for $150 i swear it funs almost as fast as my macbook.

i do have a question tho. somtime when i record with my g4 i get a slight clipping sound on the audio and none of my equipment shows any clipping and it doesnt happen on my macbook with even higher levels im kind of a newbie but would the computer be causing that some how
What's the rest of your setup? A computer wouldn't cause clipping - all your computer does is take the 1s and 0s from your converters/interface, save them, and play them back with modifications when you ask for it...
Old 14th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBreed View Post
All I know is, my single core G5 dinosaur runs circles around my old PC that had twice the specs. I run sessions everyday now, without a problem. j

So the marketing worked and so does the machine.....heh
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
What's the rest of your setup? A computer wouldn't cause clipping - all your computer does is take the 1s and 0s from your converters/interface, save them, and play them back with modifications when you ask for it...
I was using a M-audio firewire 410 and i think an sm57. you would have to hear it. it wasnt strong clipping thats what threw me off and the interface nor protools showed clipping. it sounded like faint in the background. i dont really know how to explain it.... but anyways i was just wondering if the computer could somehow cause it.
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Have you made any modifications to the computer which were outside of it's specification?
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Head

nothing besides putting in a second harddrive
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

That can happen when the power supply is unable to deliver enough power to the different components. I wouldn't really pretend to be a computer expert, but the same thing happened to me years ago...
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstudios View Post
Somebody close this thread please?
Why? I´m too happy camper in the Apple land. Working with music instead as ALL off my PC friends, with their PC´s
Old 18th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
That can happen when the power supply is unable to deliver enough power to the different components. I wouldn't really pretend to be a computer expert, but the same thing happened to me years ago...
hmm maybe if i run the 410 off of its power supply instead of the computer powering it.. now i just have to find it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search