The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finally took the radar plunge
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Smile Finally took the radar plunge

Hey guys,

Well, after sitting on a fence for almost a year, I ordered my nyquist Radar 24, and I am both anxious and psyched! 2 removable 120gig drives/internal IDE/and multi DVD/cd format burner, should be plenty of flexibility for my immediate recording golas. Probably use DVD ram for archiving to start. Anyone using external AIT backup?

I seriously looked at a Sequoia rig, but in the end decided I needed a dedicated recorder to start with, and after getting comfortable there, maybe a dedicated editor/mastering rig later. I also looked into dsd, but after reading some threads from the mastering group, as well as the luke warm response to some of the technology/buliders/service, I figured I'll sit that one out for now.

Best,

Mack
Old 4th June 2003
Hey great luck with that!

Will 96k 24 bit be your standard?

How many track can you play back at once?

Can you build a stereo mix (levels & pans only) on it's internal mixer? (so you dont need a desk)

and a headphone mix too?

Old 4th June 2003
Moderator emeritus

Hey, Jules; you can't really do that sort of internal mix without some finagling around - And even then it's not really a good way to work. Think of the Radar as an enhanced 2" machine rather than a stand alone workstation; you'll be closer to reality. (I'm still thinking very hard about buying a Radar as well...)
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Maniac

"Will 96k 24 bit be your standard?"

I think I will try all standards and let my ears be the judge.

"How many track can you play back at once?"
24 tracks, just like a 2"

Can you build a stereo mix (levels & pans only) on it's internal mixer? (so you dont need a desk)

Nope, its made to be a recorder, to the best of my knowledge. I have a console for that.

"and a headphone mix too?"

Foldback through the console as well.

Best,

Mack
Old 4th June 2003
rudimentary internal mixing on these hardware recorders is a cool feature.... Some of them have em,

Imagine

Recorder, mic's a bunch of Pres and a DAC-1 feeding monitors!

Great for tracking stuff in wacky locations..
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Thats wher a rack of those ATI 8 channel pre/mixer units come in handy.

The RADAR Rocks! have fun.
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

Why is RADAR superior to the Alesis HDR and TASCAM HDR?
Old 25th June 2003
Gear Addict

Sonic quality, build quality, reliability, ease of use, software stability and support.
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Etnier
Sonic quality, build quality, reliability, ease of use, software stability and support.
Amen Brother!!!

Roland
Old 9th July 2003
Lives for gear

rudimentary internal mixing on these hardware recorders is a cool feature.... Some of them have em,

Imagine Recorder, mic's a bunch of Pres and a DAC-1 feeding monitors! Great for tracking stuff in wacky locations..

thats how my new Genex GX9000 works; internal 8x2 mixer with variable level, pan and phase reverse. Like Jules said, add some mics and mic preamps and you've got a complete mobile recording rig. I spent ridiculous amounts of time trying to assemble a workable setup out of the API 7800 / 8200 units, but I never figured out a system that made any sense for me. Instead, I'll just use the freebie that's inside the recorder. If my work required any significant post production signal processing, I'd probably still need a real mixer. But I plan on adding whatever minimal EQ or compression before I go to tape; so the internal mixer will do little more than sum 8ch down to the stereo outputs. This also allows me to get away with only one pass through the converters: analog signal from mics to mic preamps to some minimal EQ or comp to the A/D converters. From there its on to the hard disk and then straight to the stereo mix, either back on the HD or out onto a CD or DVD. It looks like I should be able to remain digital after that single A/D conversion - that's gotta be better than bouncing back and forth several times. These all in one digital recorders are a whole new world, and they seem like they offer some very real benefits.

steve
[email protected]
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear