The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pencil for chart writing
Old 25th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Pencil for chart writing

I realize that this isn't a big thing, but I have always had problems finding a good pencil for writing charts. Most of the time, I write number charts which have to be copied for all of the musicians, and a regular number 2 pencil is often not dark enough to make good copies. A company called Pacific Music Papers sells a pencil called a Magic Writer, but those are about $1 per pencil, and you have to order them.

Anyway, at my local office supply store the other day, I found a mechanical drafting pencil by Staedler; it has a refillable 2mm lead that writes dark enough to make legible copies even on my old copy machine. The pencil, a box of 12 replacement leads and an eraser/sharpener (yep; the lead is wide enough that you can sharpen it to get a fine point) was under $8. Since I go through a couple of dozen Magic Writer pencils a year (not counting the ones that disappear), the Staedtler is a replacement that is ont only convenient (because I can buy them any time locally), but less expensive.

I know it's not a big deal, but I wanted to pass it along; someone else may find this to be a useable item.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

thumbsup

good find!
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

I admire those doing it the "real" way. Given my penmanship, Finale© was a godsend.

I guess it's like digital vs. analog. The handwritten stuff definitely is prettier (if done by someone skilled). But the editing ability (transposing, cutting/pasting, error corrections, part generations, etc.) makes the computer hard to resist...

Still, I'd hate to see the skills involved in hand-generated parts die out.
Old 26th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
I admire those doing it the "real" way. Given my penmanship, Finale© was a godsend.
Admittedly, 99% of the charts I write are simply chord charts (number charts, for those who care); the players use them as a road map as we're doing the song. But a whole bunch of the guys who work here DO write complex string and horn arrangements out by hand; I admire them, too.
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

For those who prefer a woodcased pencil, I highly recommend the Palomino 2B pencil from California Republic Stationers. Here is an EBay listing for their 2B pencil:

Palomino Graphite 2B Pencils - 6 pencil pack - (eBay item 220132334800 end time Sep-17-07 08:55:38 PDT)

And here is a link for the Pencil World Creativity Store, which sells the Palomino in other grades, as well as other makes of pencils:

eBay Store - Pencil World Creativity Store: color pencils, graphite pencils, water color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
I realize that this isn't a big thing, but I have always had problems finding a good pencil for writing charts. Most of the time, I write number charts which have to be copied for all of the musicians, and a regular number 2 pencil is often not dark enough to make good copies. A company called Pacific Music Papers sells a pencil called a Magic Writer, but those are about $1 per pencil, and you have to order them.

Anyway, at my local office supply store the other day, I found a mechanical drafting pencil by Staedler; it has a refillable 2mm lead that writes dark enough to make legible copies even on my old copy machine. The pencil, a box of 12 replacement leads and an eraser/sharpener (yep; the lead is wide enough that you can sharpen it to get a fine point) was under $8. Since I go through a couple of dozen Magic Writer pencils a year (not counting the ones that disappear), the Staedtler is a replacement that is ont only convenient (because I can buy them any time locally), but less expensive.

I know it's not a big deal, but I wanted to pass it along; someone else may find this to be a useable item.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Art supply stores offer many choices of darker lead pencils. And great big erasers. I find drawing to be a great yen and yang to music and recording. So uncomplicated.

But back to writing charts. Really difficult to do. The paper with the larger staff is a requirement for me and can be hard to find. The notes always need to be drawn smaller than I first think.

Glad you like your pencil, I 'd need a bunch--- I'm always losing them.
Old 11th August 2016
Here for the gear

Magic Writer Pencils are worth the $$$:
http://www.pacificmusicpapers.com/pm...terpencil.html

When I couldn't get them I ordered #1 pencils that were as close to the Magic Writers.........but not exactly the same. #2 pencils are still just too hard.
https://www.amazon.com/Ticonderoga-Y...s=pencils+%231

The lead on the MWP just inspires one to write by hand.

===================

Another tip - formatting your own sheet music online and print. Go to:
http://www.blanksheetmusic.net/

You can customize how many staves per line, clef, put in bars, time/key signatures. Go to the "Advanced" and "Key/Time" tabs to do this.

Last edited by chaktania; 11th August 2016 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: update.
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Guru

If you have a Michael's nearby, they have a brand called Derwent that I like. Not cheap, but really nice.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear
The mechanical pencils are much better today. I use a staedtler .09 lead so it does not break. in general getting a large lead could allow you to use softer lead for a given pressure you use.

If you really need artistic as well as speed. The way old school drafting pencils and sharpeners can't be beat for pencil. Just messy vs mechanical.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search