The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ethan Winer article in Sound on Sound Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwale View Post
Ethan also spreads this posture of expertise to areas where he might even more appropriately hold himself to the posture of an inquisitive enthusiast. He instead 'upsells' his expertise in his authoritative style and manner of posting.
That really isn't true, and it's certainly not fair. I've been doing audio circuit design for more than 40 years, and very high-level (low level actually) computer programming for almost 30 years. I have an excellent grasp of the science, even if I'm not as famous as Paul, or as good a circuit designer. I know which end of a soldering iron not to touch! heh

All of these projects and technical articles were written years ago:

Build a Microphone Polarity Tester
Build a Stereo Synthesizer
Peak-Reading Meters
Audio Filters -- Theory and Practice
Pre-Distortion Techniques
Spectrum Analyzer and Equalizer Designs
The Oscilloscope
Mike Pads and Other Small Gadgets

I post this not to brag "I've forgotten more about audio and electronics than most GS posters will ever know," but just to show I'm not some acoustics guy who dabbles in audio circuits. I'm sure Paul can design rings around me! But that doesn't mean that the basic character of analog tape people want is more complicated than I stated. heh

--Ethan
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
I'm sure Paul can design rings around me! But that doesn't mean that the basic character of analog tape people want is more complicated than I stated. heh
Doesn't mean the opposite ISN'T true either.

And in fact based on what paul has created both in the analogue AND software domain,
it stands to reason his opinion would carry more weight than most, not just yours.

Paul, your posts are always a pleasure. Not only a technical master, but your
spirit/humility/approach/person is greatly appreciated around here.

All the best during the Xmas/New Year holidays.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Doesn't mean the opposite ISN'T true either.
Agreed, it doesn't prove either position.

As soon as someone local volunteers a well-maintained analog tape recorder for some comparisons, I'm totally down to post a poll seeing how many people can pick out real tape versus tape sims.

--Ethan
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Addict

Paul and Ethan, your posts are always a pleasure. Not only a technical master, but your

All the best during the Xmas/New Year holidays. thumbsup
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by topperf View Post
Paul and Ethan, your posts are always a pleasure. Not only a technical master, but your

All the best during the Xmas/New Year holidays. thumbsup
+1!
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Mobius, you are wrong on all of those counts, and Yes, of course it's easy to prove. But first, let me ask you a question:

How do you know what amounts of phase shift and jitter are audible? The only way I can imagine testing those is to have a box that lets you adjust each continuously. So you turn the knob until you can just hear a change. I've done that with phase shift many times using hardware I built, and also software. This freeware VST plug-in lets anyone test it for themselves:

Sanford Phaser

Yes, you can hear phase shift while the amount of shift is changing, which sounds like the pitch is changing. But you cannot hear static phase shift in usual amounts. Or even ten times a usual amount. Try it with the above plug-in and then you'll understand.

When it comes to jitter, I don't think it's even possible to build such a device. I've seen several scholarly articles that proved jitter is not audible until you have something like 30 times more jitter than what you get from the cheapest consumer digital device. But the only way they could test it reliably was to simulate the jitter in software.

Have you done either of those tests yourself? If you haven't, how can you possibly know or claim to know?

Say what? Please describe the difference being as technically specific as possible.

Most digital EQs are exactly the same:

signaltonoize.com » Digital EQ Fact & Myth.

But that's not what we were talking about. I said that the frequency response changes you get from a tape recorder can easily be duplicated with an EQ. Hence, no "magic," and no need for an actual analog recorder to get that sound. If you can prove otherwise, I'd love to see it.

--Ethan

So if jitter is inaudible what about all these cd players and audiophile DACS which get reviewed in hifi magazines, what about the mark levinsons, the ultra expensive DCS converter which came out recently.

What justifies their price tags and how could such deception continue for so long? Are the magazine reviewers lying?

I honestly dont know the answers to these.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search