The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dave Martin's new website
Old 12th May 2003
Dave Martin's new website

Forgive the semi-spam, but you're all invited to check out Dave Martin's new studio website, http://www.javajivestudio.com.

While more material is being added (soon to come- photos of the lovely Carolyn and a selection of Dave's magazine reviews), the site is up and running. Feedback is certainly appreciated.

Yes, I know users of IE 4x and Netscape 4x and earlier browsers cannot access the site, and neither can Opera or Lynx users. It's just too time-consuming to support 1% of the market. For those using Mozilla, IE5+, or Netscape 6+ (the other 99% of internet users), the site appears to be working flawlessly. Support for Safari is forthcoming.
Old 15th May 2003
Support for Nav 4.5+ has been added, as well as for Opera 7+. Y'all come.
Old 15th May 2003
Ideas

I could do with a slightly more cheerfull pic of Dave with the flighcased gear he looks wary somehow.

Any chance of "coffeee related" animation or 'moving' immage gag's?

I expected the grinder handle to rotate as I went down the list, or the drawer to pop open. Somefurther mention about coffee served?

Old 15th May 2003
It's a mystery to me how Dave, a very cheerful guy who's always smiling when you meet him, has such a proclivity to grimace in photos. <g>
I agree, the cartage photo needs to be redone, and if Dave gets less swamped, I'll hound him to do so.
I think we're going to focus on content over animation, but if the content gets fully realized, a bit of animation might be fun. I envision a hand coming out and pushing the photo of Dave away, and then Carolyn pops up with a big smile.
Old 15th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

I don't think I'm 'wary' - I'm probably 'weary'. But some of that that somes from trying to invent pictures for Lyle with a tripod and a timer. The real way - with film. I had no idea what I'd gotten until the prints came back...
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Dave,

I hate you're friggin' website, dude!

Why? Because your cool lookin' studio makes my sorry little place look like a hole. Plus, I don't have a website of my own.

So your site sucks, dude. dfegad heh

Regards,
Brian T

P.S. Hmmmm, a Texan, eh? I knew there was sumpin' a little different about you. Seriously, that's a beautiful place you have. Invite me out to see it in person, you bonehead. I can already smell the cinnamon rolls........
Old 15th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT

I hate you're friggin' website, dude!

Why? Because your cool lookin' studio makes my sorry little place look like a hole. Plus, I don't have a website of my own.

So your site sucks, dude. dfegad heh

P.S. Hmmmm, a Texan, eh? I knew there was sumpin' a little different about you. Seriously, that's a beautiful place you have. Invite me out to see it in person, you bonehead. I can already smell the cinnamon rolls........
Well, regarding your lackof a website, Lyle can fix that for you...

And come on out - I'm usually here (except, of course, when I'm not). , and we'll go grab either some barbecue or som hot chicken.

You can take me for a ride in the red convertible.
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin

You can take me for a ride in the red convertible.
Well.....as long as you don't get fresh.

BT
Old 16th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Well.....as long as you don't get fresh.
With an armed man? Not likely - I wait for the other party to make the first move...
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
With an armed man? Not likely - I wait for the other party to make the first move...
Armed? Not me, outside of my home or a target range.

The only time I ever packed heat was on the specific recommendation of the police after an insane babysitter managed to get a gang interested in a home invasion burglary of my family.

Long, ugly story. The gang leader ended up being convicted of murder, using a gun the babysitter had stolen from her father, a cop. Oooooh, bad memories.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 16th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Armed? Not me, outside of my home or a target range.

Indeed an ugly story - I was just trying to say that I wouldn't try to take advantage of an innocent youngster, even with a red convertible...

There's an old joke that ends, "Did you jump?" "well, a little at first...", but I think I'm getting away from the point of this thread...
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Point? Thread?

BT
Old 16th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Point? Thread?

BT
What were we talking about? Oh - the fact that Lyle Caldwell designed a website that I think is really cool - or at least it will be when I get around to creating all the content that he needs to have to make it cool.

And there's a great barbecue place nearby.
Old 18th May 2003
Schnert
Uhm, I can't open that page of yours Dave. All I get is "Loading Javajivestudio.com..." and then end up in a completely blank page (except for the background image). Happens in both IE6 and Netscape 6.2
Old 19th May 2003
That's two people who have reported that, and the other guy was able to view the site when I sent him the actual code in a zip file, but not over the internet. I *think* it's something with your ISP, but what, I couldn't say.
The site is primarily designed for IE5+ and Netscape 6+, and I have never been able to duplicate any reported problems on those browsers, save for a caching problem detected and fixed within two hours of the site going live.
Could you try again, and tell me if either browser tells you about an error with a script? If it does, it will indicate the line of script that it thinks is problematic.
Are you running a firewall?
Old 19th May 2003
Schnert
Hi Lyle,

Tried to access the page with IE6, Netscape 6.2, Opera 6 and NN 4.7, same results in all of them, with or without firewall turned on. The page downloads, but nothing is displayed except for the title on top and in the status bar, no error warnings. I downloaded the page, but I still can't view it when I let it access the scripts...
Old 20th May 2003
Hmm. The page works in all of those browsers except Opera 6 (though it works in Opera 7). There has to be something screwy somewhere. In Netscape 6.2, when the page doesn't load, would you mind going to Tasks > Tools > Javascript Console and telling me if you see any errors listed there?
Right now, with this one exception (which I do take seriously), I'm getting good results on all major browsers except Safari, which I'll be troubleshooting tomorrow.
Old 22nd May 2003
Schnert
Hi Lyle, I was able to get into the site now. Turning off the firewall and reloading the page didn't help, but if I also cleared the cache I could get in. Your page is obveously a security threat
Old 22nd May 2003
Hmm. That's still odd. What size is your cache set to, and what are your cache settings ("every visit," "every time the page loads," etc)?
Old 22nd May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Schnert
Your page is obveously a security threat
Oh, yeah - your computer thinks that I'm a dangerous guy...
Old 22nd May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by posterchild
Nice-looking studio, Dave! thumbsup
Thanks; it's a nice place to work, for a work in progress... I'm gonna try and pick up some more lumber today for the next little bit...
Old 23rd May 2003
Schnert
Yeah Dave, I bet your site is searching my computer for plugins

Lyle, IE is set to "automatic" and it empties the cache every time I close it. It was the exact same thing in Netscape 6.2 though, and I don't think I made any changes to the standard settings on that one.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear