The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fresh start for Oz Studio
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Nut
Fresh start for Oz Studio

Hey,
I was runnign a studio in Oz with my friend. Bit a silly arrangement and it didn't really work out for us. So after aquiring a bunch of gear together and getting a solid name around town we decided to go our seperate ways. Unfortunatley he had purchased most of the fun stuff. So now I've got pretty much a clean slate to purchase some/replace some 'serious-ish' gear.
(P.S. sorry for the life story)

Stickly wanting to spend between $AU20-$AU25 which is like $US19000.
This is What I've got in mind so far:

MOTU 192 HD
2 x SM 57
Couple of other tid bits (multicore, cabling etc)

Now this is the big one. I need 10 pres so I'm trying to decide between a combination of:
Neve 1073 DPA (2)
Vintech 473 (4)
API 3124 + (4)
UA LA-610 (1)
ISA 428 (4)

Distressor EL8 SX

Other issue is vocal mic. Previously Owned a TLM 103 which I really liked but most of you bag them out. What I really wanted to find was i nice Stereo pair for OH's that I could use for Vox aswell. So I looked at the differnect types of
C 414's...once again not too liked around here.

Keep in mind that the recording standard in Australia is a lot lower than the American Standard. I'm looking for **** that I'm not gonna have to replace anytime soon.
So what does everyone think? Any suggestions?
thanks heaps
Tandem 5
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Nut

I suggest a few (not 10) channels of great pres,
some other channels of good pres (sytek, rnp, perhaps?)
and more, better mics.
more mics
less pres.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Nut
know wat your saying

i know what your saying but I've already got some mics I'm happy with..
D112
3x 604
2x 609
Royer 122
MD 421 Vinatge
Rode NT 5 (wanting to replace)

got any suggestions?
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Where abouts are you located.
Trying stuff in OZ.. Is real real hard.
If you need some help I am Melbourne based if your local.

Nothing wrong with 103's and 414's pretty standard.
Depending where you are Brauner and Soundelux are available in OZ to try.

Have you thought of something like a Cranesong Spider to start with.
8 good pres and AD all in one?

Remember what the band market is around local. They ask Pro tools, Neve, 2", valve(Behringer will do ), what instruments you have and thats about it
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Nut
all very true dave..
I'm in Perth..the most isolated city in the world so it does make it even harder... I've just heard some of that gear I listed around town and like what i heard. I'm currently using Focusrite platinum and TL audio stuff but the other day I hired some neves for a job and it changed my life!
I'm real stuck on this issue.. I hate spending $20K and then finding a better alternative the next week.

I've looked at the cranesong stuff. Looks cool but I was hoping for a little more versatility and i felt the cranesong was putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak.
I agree that maybe i should focus more on mics that pre's but at the same time I'm not sure what I'm looking for in a mic, without spending 10K on one??
any suggestions on a descent pair for OH's and Vox/acoustics? 414 is the best bet i can think of? I dun much like the TLM 103 on OH's.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem5
Hey,

Keep in mind that the recording standard in Australia is a lot lower than the American Standard. Tandem 5
I strongly disagree with this. and whats more I feel musicianship is a bigger factor. I record bands daily, and I can count one one hand the number players that come in that I consider "great", and the rest range from "barely adequate" to "give up and please go away"

great recordings come from great performances (playing) or new cool ideas(inspiration but not necessarily playing), and those two are indeed rare round here these days.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Nut
don't i know it. I'm a muso 1st. Engineer 2nd. Sorry.. did not mean to offend. I'm still young and not too jayded yet so I take pleasure in helping young/average bands sound more amazing that they thought was possible.
However.. everything coming out of Perth at the moment just sounds soo..fake.
I'm not sure what it is thats doing it.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Adam, Yeah I agreee. Just chatting to someone about that before elsewhere.
I put the time and effort into my studio to get great gear and learn it etc.
Wish some bands would with there gear and songs

Ok back to topic.
What can you get to try in Perth?
I have 2 3124 API's I like.
I have a ISA430.. The pre is ok. A lot of clients like it.
UA personally did nothing for me. To colored.
Adams got a Vintech so he can answer.

I do not know if the cranesong is all eggs into a basket.
you get 8 mic pres.. with 2 colors.
Tape sim
Convertors..
For not much more then 2 API's new local.
Although the ISA428 you add the convertors the box gets better in price wise..
I am not the best to ask.. I have 18 outboard pres.
6 different flavours.
Maybe look at http://www.jlmaudio.com/
TMP-8 around $3k for 8 channels.
Others seem to like. I have not heard them..
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Nut
yeah..
i'm thinking about ditching the neves and ISA's. Just stick with the API, Vintech and UA( unless any1 has any other better all in 1 pre's...dont much care for VT737)
that way I can put the money into other areas. Still stuck on the overheads/vox mic issue though.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Other issue is vocal mic. Previously Owned a TLM 103 which I really liked but most of you bag them out. What I really wanted to find was i nice Stereo pair for OH's that I could use for Vox aswell. So I looked at the differnect types of
C 414's...once again not too liked around here.
This is much of your trouble bro...

In one tiny sentence you desregarded two great mics (that you 'really' like) because it get's 'dissed' around here...That is gonna get you in trouble...you took out the MOST important element. YOU!

Let me remind you...EVERYTHING get's dissed around here by someone. Nothing is sacred, nothing safe. But for the record, both of those mics have been involved in more great recordings that any of us could ever know...and have a great history. Believe me GREAT recordings are possible with much less...it is a daily occurance.

Please take this advice...don't listen those who bag. You will genuinelywaste your time...In other words, unless the 'consensus' is 'unanimous' (and always consider the source)

BTW, I have a ISA220 and it is really average and somewhat pedestrian...I suspect the 428 to be the same.
The irony is the fact that it is average is what makes is useful. Based against the other stuff you are looking at it could be a good match. (I have heard NOT much good word about the UA 610 though)

Good luck bro...it sounds like fun and a headache!!
I am trying to revamp my small project studio (with a 1/4 of your budget) and it is a challenge!!

P&B,
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah..
i'm thinking about ditching the neves and ISA's. Just stick with the API, Vintech and UA( unless any1 has any other better all in 1 pre's...dont much care for VT737)
that way I can put the money into other areas. Still stuck on the overheads/vox mic issue though.
If your getting 2 HD192's
Then maybe I would not look at the ISA.
As I said maybe check out the Joe Malone Pres if $'s are a worry.
I do not know if he does a trail or whatever.
Personally I do not like the Avalon. Although probably end up with one. As they are everywhere in OZ

You have to use your ears..
I have a U87 and M149.
Had a Soundlelux ifet,U99 and E47.
Which is best who knows for different clients.
Brauner are in Australia as well to try.
A 414 is ok so is a TLM103.
Neumann name with paying clients in Australia might be worth it.
Overheads I liek ribbons/
Have a Royer SF12 and a pair of Beyer M160's.
Used to use KM85's before that some Audio Technica omni's.

I am getting to the point where its all flavours now.
Which flavour you want well its up to you.
As I said what can you try yourself..
I know its hard in OZ.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah..
Personally, I'd stick with the Neve's and ISA's overf the Vintech and UA stuff any day of the week.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut
definatley love ribbons on drums.. was looking into the m160's. I have a R122 and I love it... use it for everything. It's a little dull on vox in general though but is handy for singers with lots of sibelence.
Also been newly looking at the Soundelux U195 for vox but how do they sound on Acoustics.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

G'day Tandem,

On the subject of pres, don't discount the Aussie vocal chain mate. Sebatron make awesome pres out of Melbourne, I picked up the two channel model for about $1300AUD. I don't think you'll use anything else for Bass D.I and some drums mics once you hear it. It sounds huge on guitars and I've even tracked thin vocals on it (it's got a huge setting for fattening them up).

I'm in Perth and if you're in the metro area perhaps I could bring the Sebatron (or any of my other less interesting pres) around for you to try and I could check some of your gear out (like true slutz). I'm in the market for a great compressor that can glue the 2-bus together OR sit on the vocal chain and potentially some more mic pres. I'm currently eyeing off the Drawmer 1969 because it does all of this and apparently brilliantly.. don't happen to have any Drawmer kit do you? I'd love to A/B the Neve pres with the Sebatron anyway. I'm also in the hunt for some new reverb. Probably a Lexicon PCM70, PCM91 or Kurzweil Rumour. Got any of those?

Comments welcome from anyone who wants to gear bash any of the stuff I'm interested in ;-)

By the way, on the subject of the "scene" there's some great players in Perth. I mean world class. They just don't usually get into the normal band scene here. Most are doing their own thing, studying at the Con and getting ready to go overseas (the sad way of things for Perth) but they are around. You just have to look outside the pop-metal scene. The Jazz scene is a good place to start.

Peace,
Matt
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut
Your right! Perth does have some of the best players in the world. I was at the con myself for 3 years and had the honour of preforming with some of them. Unfortunatley most of the drummers in the pop/punk Are actually guitarists and most of the bass players are brass players hehe.

At the moment man, I dun have much gear at all but I would be happy to hook up in the future.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_tricks
G'day Tandem,

On the subject of pres, don't discount the Aussie vocal chain mate. Sebatron make awesome pres out of Melbourne,

Matt
Sebatron

they have a "sound" that you either like or dont, for me I DO!
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Keep in mind that the recording standard in Australia is a lot lower than the American Standard.
Tandem 5
...well.. if thats what you are aiming for.. feel free to do that... meanwhile.. the rest of us 'Below-Standard-Aus-Musicmakers' will continue to strive for excellence.

Old 11th August 2005
Gear Nut
sorry Kinggy,
you miss-understood. I meant every dood with and M box and a NT 1000 is releasing **** that gets slammed all over radio in Oz atm.
I mean.. a couple of years ago a track I did with a behringer Eurorack and and Layla 20 Bit got put on high rotation on NOVA FM (commercial radio) for over a month!
thats wat i meant by a lower standard

sorry

P.S. Just got the UAD Studio Pack
..BLoody Awesome!! Highly Recommend it!
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi. Wot that guy said about advice up here? Yep tis true. For instance, the Focusrite 4 mic pre unit the ISA 428. A lot of people up here will say they are a piece of crap. Well, they're not. Let me repeat that...they're not! I've just bought one to supplement my other mic pre's which include Manley and UA. With the right mic's.....that's if you know about MIC PLACEMENT folks......there is totally nothing wrong with the sound. I used them this weekend to record drums using a U47 and an AEA R84 as overheads, an Audix D6 for the kick and a Sure SM57. Great sound. Thin?Nope. Any need for EQ...nope.
And as far as bang for bucks the ISA 428 is very very reasonably priced. Probably one of the best dollar for quality and quantity deals around at the moment in Aussie.

I'd also really advise you to check out the AEA Ribbon mics. Brilliant mics and again great value. Contact Mick Woodley at Mixmasters in Adelaide re the AEA mics.

Yeah it would be nice to have Neve's etc....but holy dooley in Australia? You figured out how much they cost yet? Despite what many people say...you know it IS possible to produce great sounds without using a Neve.

Anyway good luck
Kind regards

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search