The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!

After months and months and MONTHS of legal wrangling, my business partner and I signed the lease for our new studio building and we get in there next week.

Now we actually have to build a studio...

Photos of the empty building and sketchy plans here:
http://richtamblyn.com/files/admiralpark

DISCLAIMER: This won't be a thread to compete with Dangerous Dave's, he has a much larger budget! heh

Cheers,
Rich
Old 29th July 2005
What are the neighbours like?

Do you have to worry about them hearing your racket?

Do you have to worry about hearing their racket?

Get Bev to put your rockwool in, he thrives on the stuff!

Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
What are the neighbours like?

Do you have to worry about them hearing your racket?

Do you have to worry about hearing their racket?

Get Bev to put your rockwool in, he thrives on the stuff!

Neighbours: To our left we have a car windscreen warehouse, nobody in there much and they're pretty quiet. To our right we have a printers, he's pretty noisy so we'll have to keep his noise out.

Bev can do the rockwool and we'll get Martin A in to be cable monkey heh

Cheers,
Rich
Old 29th July 2005
Jam
Lives for gear

Rich

That place looks huge and by that I mean huge scary and huge good at the same time.

Jam
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Have you checked out this?: http://www.johnlsayers.com/

If you need some help with your layout that would be a great place to start.

Space looks great. You are a lucky dude!!!

Good luck,
Michael Greene
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

With a little help from my friends.

Rich

You know where I am buddy if you need a hand, I have some real 1st hand experience so don't be afraid to call me if you need anything.

Peace

DD

BTW PM'd you.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

With a little help from my friends.

Rich

You know where I am buddy if you need anything, just call me... I'll even have a translator on hand for the language barrier

PM'd you my details.

Good luck mate, and stick with it.

Peace

DD
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

And so it begins...

Off to a flying start...well, actually no.

The first thing is to get an electrician to change us over from the Unit's 3 Phase power to a new 12 way consumer box. Then we can rip out all the 3 phase outlets, run our own cables, etc.

However, we appear to be in the wrong industry as any electrician (in the local region) I've phoned is unavailable till mid October.

Unfortunately because of the problems with getting an 'in date' we were unable to secure any professionals in advance (they don't like being kept hanging about for some reason). Therefore the build will now have to take place in stages.

Stage One and our priority is the rehearsal rooms. They're our bread and butter so they must be completed first (before our old studio has to close), we also require minimal 'pro' help on them.

Our builder is available from early September to build our first floor studio and stairs so we must wait till then. I'd rather we take the time over the studio too, we're going to be here a long time!

So, some photos:

- What not to do on the first day; handle some glass without gloves and cut 3 out of 5 fingers on your guitar chord playing hand. Silly boy!

- Q. How to get first wave of materials off the lorry into the unit. A. Put lorry with materials into unit. Yesssssssssssss
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-cut-hand.jpg   Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-lorry1.jpg   Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-lorry2.jpg   Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-lorry3.jpg   Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-materialspart1.jpg  

Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Finally for now, get your priorities right. heh
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-priorities.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Photo update 8/8/2005

Electrical trunking and wiring stripped out.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-wire-ducting-stripped.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Walls cleared of electrical outlets and sealed
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-clean-wall.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Now to 'bulk up' our party wall, first a layer of 9.5mm plasterboard...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-9.5mm-plasterboard-starts-going-up.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

First part of the wall is sealed...the work continues!
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-one-wall-sealed.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I hate Rockwool Part 1

More materials arrived today, oh crap!
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-oh-crap.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Did someone order some Rockwool???
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-did-someone-order-some-rockwool.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmm, someone's gotta move all that plasterboard inside...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-gotta-move-em.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Done! (Notice even more Rockwool in the background)
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-moved.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hey man you'll have muscles on your muscles when moving that stuff, you should try moving fireline boards.... Now they are heavy!!

Good luck and keep the faith, it;s looking good

Peace

DD
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Time for a cuppa (Mark looks tired)...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-time-brew.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Time to don protection, it's Rockwool time...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-cannot-silence-me.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Rockwool going up!
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-up-goes-rockwool.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Woohoo, picstory thumbsup
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Just time to put some final boards up before we have to head back to the old studio to work! This is how it stands this evening...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-end-9th.jpg  
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
Hey man you'll have muscles on your muscles when moving that stuff, you should try moving fireline boards.... Now they are heavy!!

Good luck and keep the faith, it;s looking good

Peace

DD
Haha I didn't have muscles to start with so maybe I'll grow some heh
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Sloooooowwww couple of days

Well, it's been slow going the last couple of days, waiting for things to set/dry/arrive. The neoprene arrived:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-neoprene-arrives-2.jpg  
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

And we've made a start on the top section of adding mass to our outer wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-more-boards-up-2.jpg  
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

A 2nd layer of 12.5mm soundboard is glued up:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-2nd-layer-goes-up-2.jpg  
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

And here's how it stands this evening. Tomorrow more plasterboard sticking and I think we will begin to lay out the wall plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-stands.jpg  
Old 13th August 2005
Here for the gear

Looks like you guys are doing some hard work at last. Good luck I think I will be buying you the beers.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Right, we're still plugging away.

We've now got one side of the back of the building with a double layer of plasterboard up and sealed and we've been laying out the wall plates.

This pic shows the internal wall of one of the rehearsal rooms (and Mark posing).
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-wall-plates-completed.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search