The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

So the barrage of recording work continues to come in and I'm not complaining! But I am pining for the day I get to work in our finished studio upstairs.

We've sealed and insulated our outside wall:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-sealedwall.jpg  
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

And we've framed out a good whack of the control room and fitted the first set of sliding doors:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-firstglassdoorin.jpg  
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

And we're back in the room!

Soooooooo, civilisations have formed and fallen in the time it's taken us to get this far. No matter, on we struggle.

We have closed off all recording for July to finish everything (read: as much as possible) and so here's where we are.

The entrance to the studio is getting there:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-entrancetostudio.jpg  
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Closer...

Closer look...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-studio-entrance-2.jpg  
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Inside we have walls and the second set of sliding doors fitted. There's another layer of plasterboard to be screwed up first thing next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-glass-doors-fitted.jpg  
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Close up on the door details...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-glass-doors-close-up.jpg  
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Back of the control room...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-control-room-door.jpg  
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

A SketchUp capture of the initial control room lay out:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-controlroomtreatment.jpg  
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Drum Room has been plastered and given a lick of paint...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-drumroompainted.jpg  
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

And we have a machine room taking shape at the top of the stairs now...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-machineroom1.jpg  
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Sweeping up ready to put the ceiling up on Monday...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-dust.jpg  
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Lookin good Rich
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT
After months and months and MONTHS of legal wrangling, my business partner and I signed the lease for our new studio building and we get in there next week.

Now we actually have to build a studio...

Photos of the empty building and sketchy plans here:
http://richtamblyn.com/files/admiralpark

DISCLAIMER: This won't be a thread to compete with Dangerous Dave's, he has a much larger budget! heh

Cheers,
Rich
Hey congrats man, that looks like a perfect space for a studio. Can't wait to see the final product. What gearlist are you putting in there?
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNy C
Hey congrats man, that looks like a perfect space for a studio. Can't wait to see the final product. What gearlist are you putting in there?
Thanks man,

There's an incomplete kit list on my website here: http://www.obstudios.com/oldblacksmi.../recording.asp

Got a few more slutty bits to buy heh
Old 12th July 2006
Gear Maniac

really impressive
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Thats gonna be pretty sweet when its done, congrats! thumbsup
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging posts, it's good to know somebody is still watching! heh

We've had a pretty good week this week, finished the first part of the control room ceiling. We've an 'acoustic' ceiling to go up later on.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-controlroom-ceiling.jpg  
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Shot of the drum room ceiling in progress...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-drumroom-ceiling-progress.jpg  
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Drum room ceiling completed, taa daa!
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-drumroom-ceiling-finished-1.jpg  
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Business partner Mark (left) and our new engineer Neil (back of) cutting up flooring for the drum room...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-mark-neil-hard-.jpg  
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

First layer of the drum room floor down!
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-drumroom-floor.jpg  
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Business partner Mark (left) and our new engineer Neil (back of) cutting up flooring for the drum room...

Were you filming an episode of Cops?

heh

kidding, kidding. (It's a shirtless joke for those not in the US)
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

Phew! It's been record breaking weather over here the last few days and we're sweltering (hence the 'cops' pic heh )

We've bulked up the control room floor to get rid of creaks we inherited with the building.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-control-room-floor.jpg  
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

The corner bass traps have been fitted in the drum room. Here's the stage box end (note the stage box incorporated into the bass trap, that was Mark's idea and I was impressed )
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-bass-traps-stage-end.jpg  
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

And the other end of the room...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-bass-traps-other-end.jpg  
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

And finally, closer shot of the finished, soldered stage box! Phew, first of much soldering to go done..
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-stage-box.jpg  
Old 20th July 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
great! good to see my first appearance on this here forum looking pale, skinny and damn right knackered!...

least my ass looks good.

Neil (richT's new engineer/labourer)
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

Urgh, long day today. Soldered many, many, many tie lines. Started at 8am, finished around 12am. I am completely knackered, here's how I look at the moment:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-bombed-out-rich.jpg  
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

So anyway, before I collapse at the keyboard, here's a shot of the bass trap framework which has begun in the control room:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-control-room-framing.jpg  
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

Finally tonight a really boring shot of the cables that run over our false 'acoustic' ceiling.

Most of the cables are CAT5/6 network cables as the computer's mouse, keyboard, two VGA monitors and our new control surface are all on CAT5 based extenders. I love technology! heh
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-cables.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search