The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!
Old 4th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep
Keep up the good work , Your soldering has just begun !
Why the ear plugs...??
I cant wait to see pics. of the upstairs control room.

Steve
Indeed, the soldering has only just begun. The ear plugs were to block out the sound of my business partner tuning and playing his drums whilst I was trying to solder the mic inputs in our temp live room (i.e rehearsal room 2).
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

Rich... Great job and truly inspiring. I wish you well in your endeavor.. I totally respect the blood sweat and tears...

Jim
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT
We have a singing / vocal teacher who brings her students in three days a week.
We're trying to get some other teachers as well. It'll be a good way to introduce the studio to newbies and obviously we get some rent from the teachers heh
Wow!! That's a very good Idea indeed!!
Thanks and keep up the good Work!! thumbsup
Old 7th December 2005
Here for the gear

WOW. Good luck Rich! The place is going to be awesome. The hard work is an inspiration.
Old 19th December 2005
Lives for gear

Managed to grab a few hours during testing of the studio to lay down a demo for the band Mark and I are in - 'the never say dies'.

Here's a quick mix of the track 'The Last Song', recorded and mixed in the current studio setup, enjoy.
Attached Files

02 The Last Song.mp3 (3.37 MB, 213 views)

Old 19th December 2005
Lives for gear

Nice! I love the snare and kick. Badass. What did you use on that snare??
Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Device
Nice! I love the snare and kick. Badass. What did you use on that snare??
Thanks dude.

Used a Beta 57 (old one) on the snare into our Buzz Arc mic pre and EQed and compressed it quite a bit.

Kick was just a AT25 into an ordinary Sytek mic channel and then spanked with a UA1176 in the mix.

In hindsight I think the bass is a bit quiet in the mix. No time for tweaking at the moment though, we're starting building the exterior wall of the studio tomorrow.

More photos soon!
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

So we're having a bit of a break over the christmas holidays. Where are we up to?

The storage cupboard was treated to some shelving...(woo!)
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-storagearea.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

And the office is finished and usable...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-office1.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

Another shot of the office (photography is difficult in such a small space!)
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-office2.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

We've got full usage of the storage on top of the rehearsal rooms now...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-topfloor2.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

And a different perspective - shot taken stood on top of the rehearsal rooms looking to the front of the building...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-topfloor4.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

The exterior wall of the recording studio is starting to go up.

It took a lot to get to this point. We had to remove parts of the roller door that would of jutted out through the wall.

This was not an easy nor safe job and luckily noone got hurt (too much anyway). All I'll say is SAFETY FIRST. Remember kids, we're trained idiots...

Anyhoo, here's the wall from one angle:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-wallup1.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

Looking at the wall from the storage area above the rehearsal rooms:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-wallup2.jpg  
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

Hope everyone had an enjoyable christmas break. Just thought I'd post some new pictures and some clearer pictures of the studio.

Got a posh new digital camera for christmas (A Fuji one with optical xoom) so although the photo resolution may have improved, my photography will still be as bad heh

Before christmas Mark and Craig got some of the exterior studio walls up. Here's the piccy:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-topfloormore1.jpg  
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

Here's a clearer picture of rehearsal room 1:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-rehearsalroom1.jpg  
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

And rehearsal room 2:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-rehearsalroom2.jpg  
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

Finally, a piccy of the temp. control room in messy mid usage:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-controlroom.jpg  
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

Cool! I'm glad your back to posting more pics! It's allways exciting to see what's going on. Keep up the awsome work, it looks great!

ERic
Old 30th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey dude, it's been a while

Nice work with the new place, I wish you guys all the best of luck. You're doing really good

Spacey
Old 7th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceChild
Hey dude, it's been a while

Nice work with the new place, I wish you guys all the best of luck. You're doing really good

Spacey
Thanks man! Long time no e..-mail. What you up to now? Still designing for Focusrite?

Anyhoo, here's some pics of the studio (as it stands) in action:

AMPS! MORE POWER! (This has got to qualify as a Marshall Endorsee photo?)
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-amps.jpg  
Old 7th January 2006
Lives for gear

Posted this pic on the drum thread but what the hey! Jules can spare the server space right? heh
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-moredrums.jpg  
Old 7th January 2006
Lives for gear

And if Dangerous Dave can do Arty Farty, I can do Slarty Barty
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-artyfarty.jpg  
Old 7th January 2006
Lives for gear
How do you like your DACS piece?
Old 7th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin
How do you like your DACS piece?
It's a workhorse, very solid bit of gear. Loud AND clean at the same time.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 7th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
And if Dangerous Dave can do Arty Farty, I can do Slarty Barty

hehehe, nice one mate.

At least your place is earning... mine is year down the line and not earned a penny yet !!!!

Looking good tho' keep up the good work!

Peace

DD
Old 8th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks man! Long time no e..-mail. What you up to now? Still designing for Focusrite?
Heyas

Yeah, still doing stuff for ff. They're a great client. Just haven't had enough time to actually make music, lots of stuff happened in the past year. I've moved four times since, including moving countries, and gotten married, among other things

How about you? Other than building a great looking studio. You've really done a great job with it, really thumbsup

Spacey

PS. I still have the track with the vocals you cut, and I think it's very cool. Thanks again
Old 14th January 2006
Lives for gear

Hey RichT

Any chance of you ever telling the story of how you guys got started? What you're doing is pretty much exactly what me & my buddy want to do with our recording enterprise. But we're just at the filling a bedroom with gear stage just now and don't really know the first thing about starting our own business. If you have any tips on how to get something like this on its feet I'm sure I wouldn't be the only curious one.

Cheers.
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR
Hey RichT

Any chance of you ever telling the story of how you guys got started? What you're doing is pretty much exactly what me & my buddy want to do with our recording enterprise. But we're just at the filling a bedroom with gear stage just now and don't really know the first thing about starting our own business. If you have any tips on how to get something like this on its feet I'm sure I wouldn't be the only curious one.

Cheers.
Hi PhilR,

Thanks for asking. I really won't bore you with our story, it's not that interesting.
Aaaaaaaaand I also don't have any certified, guaranteed to work, business tips.

But I've learnt two things in our business:

1. Be the very best you can for every single client.

2. Be lucky.

Thanks for reading the thread

Cheers,
Rich
Old 26th January 2006
Lives for gear

Ok, few pics to keep you guys up-to-date.

The iso booth and first part of the studio's outer wall have taken shape, have been sealed and are being insulated.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-isobooth5.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search