The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!
Old 25th July 2006
Lives for gear

We've been bowling along nicely. We need to as well as the first client sets foot into the studio on August 6th! Yiiiikes!

The acoustic ceiling has been framed out and tomorrow we will put up the insulation and the final material (Calico).
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-acoustic-ceiling-framed.jpg  
Old 25th July 2006
Lives for gear

And the sofa platform at the back has been constructed.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-sofa-platform.jpg  
Old 25th July 2006
Lives for gear

All the tielines and various cables have been run and sited at the bottom of the platform. Just waiting for the rack furniture to arrive from Germany now...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-cables.jpg  
Old 25th July 2006
Lives for gear

Another shot of the framing, shows the ceiling angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-front-room.jpg  
Old 25th July 2006
Lives for gear

Got home and found one of our new toys had been delivered. Eventually it'll take it's place in the control room but for now I've set it up in Pro Tools LE and am playing with it at home (excuse the mess!).
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-new-control-surface.jpg  
Old 26th July 2006

Outstanding stuff Rich....... thumbsup
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

Hmmm I thought things were going too well...

Our new engineer neil/simba/shortround/flat eric managed to spill an entire tin of black gloss over the drum room floor, walls and parts of the control room floor.

It was a truly spectacular effort. I can look back on it and laugh now but at the time I went in to shock and needed to go for a 'walk'...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-uhoh1.jpg  
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

I dunno what Mark is smiling at....perhaps insanity set in at that very moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-uhoh2.jpg  
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

And thus, the drum room floor became black all over

It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-nonemoreblack.jpg  
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

Luckily none of the black gloss went on the newly applied calico material in the control room...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-calicocontrolroom.jpg  
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

Took this just before I starting varnishing the floor. See the left hand corner? ran out of material on the last panel, waiting for delivery of more next week. Bah.

We have wooden battens to put over the seams of the calico material, should look wicked. heh

Lights and electric being hooked up tomorrow, woohoo!
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-ourbiggestfans.jpg  
Old 29th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT
And thus, the drum room floor became black all over

It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black
Good save! Besides, it will end up with the obligatory persian rug covering most of it anyway, right? Should look fine.

DP
Old 6th August 2006
Lives for gear

Just got home, have just finished the first session in the newly finished studio.

There's still the odd cable to be soldered and a few rough edges to smooth off but we're essentially a fully functioning studio!

Here's a shot from the back of the control room:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-back.jpg  
Old 6th August 2006
Lives for gear

And from the front looking to the back of the room:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-front.jpg  
Old 6th August 2006
Lives for gear

Close up on the racks, more gear needed!
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-rack-close-up.jpg  
Old 6th August 2006
Lives for gear

Close up on the workstation:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-workstation.jpg  
Old 6th August 2006
Lives for gear

Here are the 'Dark Angels', in recording their 16 track country/rock-a-billy/americano album. On the left, Jimmy Jeffries (vox, guitars) and on the right, Rory Noble-Egan (drums, percussion).
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-dark-angels.jpg  
Old 6th August 2006
Lives for gear

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnjoooooo!
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-banjo.jpg  
Old 7th August 2006
Lives for gear

FELICIDADEZ!!
The Place already Rocks and it's just the beginning!
Thanks for the inspiring thread!
Old 7th August 2006
Jam
Lives for gear

Rich

I was looking at the early pics thinking "if only the floor was black" and then as if by magic !!

Joking aside, looks like you're coming down the homestretch. Congratulations.

Jam
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Cheers guys! heh

Here's some pics of the band we have in recording at the moment, they're called 'Love On Tiananmen Square', kinda tech-metal with prog rock tinges - it's good stuff!

The kit and it's mic and pre chain:

Kick drum: AT25 -> Sytek Standard
Snare Top: 414 BULS -> Buzz Audio ARC
Snare Bottom: Beta 57 -> Sytek Standard
Rack: 57 -> Audient ASP008
Floor: 57 -> Audient ASP008
O/H Right: AT3035 -> Sytek Burr Brown
O/H Left: AT3035 -> Sytek Burr Brown
Ride: Rode NT2 -> Audient ASP008
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-drums.jpg  
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

This is Tim on drums:
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-tim-drums.jpg  
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Sweet bass rig! All valve custom Trace Elliott head.

SM7 on the 10" and a DI feed taken thru the Audient.
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-bass-rig.jpg  
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Couple of random pics:

Engineer Neil hard at work...
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-neil-work.jpg  
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Picture of guitarist Michael. Yes that hair is natural! heh
Attached Thumbnails
Signed the lease, paid the deposit...oh crap now the hard work really begins!-michael-hair.jpg  
Old 10th August 2006
Lives for gear

More good news! Our engineer Neil got his degree results today...

(Drum roll)

He takes home with him a BA Honours First Class Degree in Music Technology from the University Of Manchester!

Congratulations Neil!

Old 24th August 2006
nek
Gear Maniac

Congrats Neil

Good looking studio Rich!

More pics!
Old 29th August 2006
Here for the gear

Cheers Mate, Can't wait to get my certificate up on the studio wall so at least I can pretend I know what im doing!
Old 29th August 2006
Lives for gear

Looking really good. We're only just making the first tentative steps towards finding a suitable building to put a studio in. We don't have a clue what we're doing! arrrgh!
Old 1st November 2006
Here for the gear

Hey, studios look fantastic, great job!

I'm currently in the business plan stages of something similiar myself, so I have a million and one questions I' love to ask you, but could I bother you with just a few?!

The Drum room and iso booth are above a rehearsal room, yeah? How is the isolation between them, do you record while someone is rehearsing or no?

Also, how is the isolation between the rehearsal rooms? If two bands are going at it can they hear each other, or do they bother each other?

The floors in the rehearsal rooms, they're framing floated on neoprene covered with flooring? Is the gaps between the framing filled with Rockwool?

If you dont mind, how much did the construction/materials end up costing (ballpark figure even?!) I'm having trouble trying to accurately cost building something like your setup, but four rehearsal rooms instead of two.

Thanks a million, you have no idea how impressed I am with your build, and your organisation, unbelievable!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search