The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Huge change in Clear Channel policy
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

Huge change in Clear Channel policy

This Link is potentially big news. Clear Channel has officially terminated it's relationship with independent radio promoters.

My suspicion is that they were worried about rumblings in Congress and decided to preempt the issue.

What does this mean for those of us working on material destined for US radio? Heck if I know, but I hope it's good.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 10th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

Brian, If this is true it's a start, but the long term outlook for decent music on the radio is still not THAT good, and probably won't be until Clear Channel hires PD's for each station - or at least each region - and gives them authority to program the music that they think is good...
Old 11th April 2003
Motown legend

Another great piece of news is that tonight WNEW-FM in New York has just changed formats to something actually resembling REAL top 40, i.e. the very best music across all genres. They are seeking a broad audience instead of just one of the "targeted segments" that have been choking music. They are even advertising that they will be back-announcing new songs! The station is called "102.7 Blink" and defines its self as "a mix of music, entertainment news and celebrity gossip."

If they are successful, it could redefine music radio to something a lot more like the kind of radio that launched rock & roll.
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Addict

Bob's news is indeed encouraging, now if we could only get the stations to let the jocks program their own shows. I can remember when radio got behind regional and local acts and you could hear stuff that appealed to the local radio DJ. It also gave local acts a focus as to where to target their stuff, get the local DJ's on side and you could get your stuff on the air.. I know this stratedgy is open to some abuse but I'd rather that then the type of restictive trade that goes on today. Take care Logan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search