The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Venice 160 in Yamaha Store (Ginza)
Old 3rd July 2005
Venice 160 in Yamaha Store (Ginza)

I was walking around Ginza (Tokyo) waiting for a table to open up and decided to wander over to the Yamaha store. A Japanese a cappella jazz group (Try-Tone) had just started a set and they really sounded great! Like any other gearslut, I sidled over to the mixer, wondering what kind of Yamaha it might be. It was a Venice 160. I guess even in Ginza, ya gotta bow to the Midas sound.

P.S. They were selling CDs next to a "complete SAS collection". I have no idea what SAS means in Japanese, but it was clearly some form of jazz, and one of the disks was called "My Foreplay CD". I looked for, but couldn't find, a credit for Barry White.
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless
P.S. They were selling CDs next to a "complete SAS collection". I have no idea what SAS means in Japanese, but it was clearly some form of jazz, and one of the disks was called "My Foreplay CD". I looked for, but couldn't find, a credit for Barry White.
That must be the pop band Southern All Stars. They've been around since the 70's and that was their boxed set of 44 singles.
Old 3rd July 2005
Southern All Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyu
That must be the pop band Southern All Stars. They've been around since the 70's and that was their boxed set of 44 singles.
Yup--I did remember seeing that name, but didn't connect it with the boxed set. Are they great, or just well promoted?
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless
Yup--I did remember seeing that name, but didn't connect it with the boxed set. Are they great, or just well promoted?
They're pretty good. Downplayed as a comic band when they started, but they got their true recognition with their song "Ellie, My Love" that was later covered by Ray Charles in the late 80's. Since then, they've been well promoted as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search