The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm about to buy an iPhone Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

I'm about to buy an iPhone

OK. My son says I'm stoopid. He's pretty smart, but he's only 16. He says they're really slow. Says they're lame. He's wrong about things an awful lot, but I tend to listen to him because he's also right a lot and has a great practical mind about the world and people.

So I already have an AT&T account for my cell phone. I like being able to retrieve email, surf the web and on some of those other occasions when traveling I can leave my powerbook at home. He said I should just get a Blackberry.

In an hour or two I'm heading to the Apple Store. If someone has some advice, insight, please, I'm all ears. I figure the 3GB is fine for me. I already have an 80GB iPod. I don't plan to listen to music with the iPhone. But being able to mix with it a little is cool, even though I already have a Tranzport and Compact ReMote SL-25. I don't know, I'm a Slut at heart, OK?

Should I buy it or is my son right? Is this slow and a dog on the web?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

it's not a dog by any means. I really dig my iphone... I can't live without it now.

One bit of advice may be to buy an older 2g iphone.

From what I understand, the service plan on the new iphone is considerably more expensive.

For me and my fiance, our plan is about $125 per month.

I have a friend that broke her 2g iphone, got a new 3g and the plan went up and price because of the new iphone. It went from $125 to $200. I've heard the same from a few others too. I don't know why, but it may be worth checking out further.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

iPhones rule. thumbsup

I had the original a year ago, just got a 3G one. Love the thing to bits. Even better if you're a Mac guy - your whole address book, Safari bookmarks, etc all just transfer in effortlessly.

Check to see how the 3G coverage is in your area, though - it's spotty. If you're gonna be using it near/in WiFi, the thing flies, though.

dB
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

Hm. So thanks. But here's a stoopid question -- what's the difference between the two, the old 2GB and the new 3GB? I mean other than the fact that the olderone has a cheaper plan.

Do you mean you pay $125 for one phone or that two phones combined, so one would be roughly $62.50?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

That is for 2 phones. I think the base plan is $85 per month, then $20 per month for internet and text per phone.

I don't know for sure, but I have heard the new Iphone plan is like $50 per phone.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

I think the only difference is a bit in the looks department... And the new one is supposed to be faster. Mine is fast enough for what I need it for
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Hm. So thanks. But here's a stoopid question -- what's the difference between the two, the old 2GB and the new 3GB? I mean other than the fact that the olderone has a cheaper plan.

Do you mean you pay $125 for one phone or that two phones combined, so one would be roughly $62.50?
The last generation phone has a slower data protocol. AT&T probably charges more for the faster network.

Buy a new one though. The speed is good.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Get it!

yeah, it is expensive, but this is Apple we are talking about. We pay a premium for the coolness. Everyone I know and work with has a blackberry and they are awful (all kinds the curve, pearl, the world edition super one... blah blah blah). All awful screens and the internet is extremely limited and just plain ugly to use.

The iPhone is great. the internet experience will make you forget you are on a cell phone. The wifi feature is great. My parents, brother, and girlfriend all have wireless at their houses so you can surf around at wifi speed. Bored at work and don't get a great cell signal. Walk by the nearest starbucks and bogart theirs. It's great!

BTW I pay $95 a month for mine...I got rid of the internet at my apartment for it.

I also have an iPod and my original thought was to wait until the iPhone could hold all my tunes and I could just have one device. Well I hated sprint and couldn't take that crap anymore so I got the 3g (16gig white). Now I don't even carry my iPod unless I am going on a flight, train ride, or long distance travelling. I just load 10 to 15 albums up at a time and pick from those. There are also really great apps in the store. Facebook mobile, games, fun stuff!!!!

Last edited by Phillystylec; 28th August 2008 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: forgot to include the rate
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Dude! Its the best thing in the entire world, period. The 8g is probably fine.

The guitar toolkit app with the excellent tuner (that displays the hz info, so cool for us nerds) is worth having the phone in and of itself. Not to mention the metronome with tap tempo, etc. Not to mention the multitude of other apps you can't believe you lived without for so long.

The 3g phone is super fast, Your son may be smart, but hes wrong.

Oh, something no one ever talks about. Its BY FAR the best sounding Ipod type device I've ever heard. I have a 4th gen ipod, and have heard all the other ones (I was always hoping they'd make one that sounded even remotely good). My Iphone sounds very good relatively speaking, I hear stuff i can't believe the Ipod didn't reveal. Like tape hiss, etc. So maybe you want the 16 gig.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

My complaints about the iPhone:
You can't copy & paste (this is pitiful since it's got the same kernel as Apple's latest OS)
No sync of the "notes" function/application.
No picture messaging (even though you can send/receive in an email)
No flash support
Camera is still photo only... No movie capability

Having said that, I love mine, but wish it had the above features.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

the new iphone has GPS.
there are many cool aps available, combining GPS and internet...

i may guess your life would go on without it but the new iphone is a fun toy.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

Thanks guys! You're all super helpful!

For clarifications sake --
Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
That is for 2 phones. I think the base plan is $85 per month, then $20 per month for internet and text per phone.

I don't know for sure, but I have heard the new Iphone plan is like $50 per phone.
So does this mean $85 PLUS $20 for internet service?????

Damn. That's expensive. That's $105 per month.

Or is it more like $50-ish plus $20 with everything else averages to $85 per month?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

To the above poster, cut and paste is around the corner. And the old jailbreak had an incredible video program, so its just a matter of time before the app store has something like that. Dumb you can't text photos though.

I'm waiting for garageband iphone edition. Why haven't they done that yet? It would make a great multitrack scratchpad for demos.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

mine is $95 a month for 900 minutes and 200 text messages.

I would be so excited for GB for the iPhone. The iDrum stuff is awesome. I am waiting on the guitar app until they include scales and modes.

I really wish I could type text messages and notes in landscape mode. I find it easier to hold.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystylec View Post
mine is $95 a month for 900 minutes and 200 text messages.

I would be so excited for GB for the iPhone. The iDrum stuff is awesome. I am waiting on the guitar app until they include scales and modes.

I really wish I could type text messages and notes in landscape mode. I find it easier to hold.
You can get scales and modes with Karajan, and also test your perfect pitch, bpm awareness, etc.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

I see that now. I may have to pick that up.

I really want one targeted at guitars though
Old 28th August 2008
iphone is great. IMO I like how "text" messages are just that. TEXT MESSAGES. If I need to send a pic I'd use email anyway (saves me a 1 message) and it's just as fast.

Not to mention there are 1000's of apps out there that are really good AND you can write your own! Fuggitabout it best phone EVERthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Addict

I love mine, and I have the first gen. I'll eventually move up to the 3G, but as far as speed goes, even the original's fine with me. It is, after all, a phone. Don't expect it to give you a back massage or anything.

But I've messed with the 3G ones - they're a lot faster. Get one. Plus, all the prev posters are right - a lot of features it's missing will be updated in future software updates.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystylec View Post
I see that now. I may have to pick that up.

I really want one targeted at guitars though
Yeah. The chords thing with the guitar toolkit is super detailed though. Sorry for the OT, but Henry, you're gonna want that program.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

I finally got an iphone and luv it. Bummer about no copy pate and no flash support..

I also get kicked out of apps on occasion, mainly NY Times. Myspace moble is buggy as hell too.

Download the free kazoo app, hours of fun!!
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Yeah. The chords thing with the guitar toolkit is super detailed though. Sorry for the OT, but Henry, you're gonna want that program.
Maybe. I don't need a chord reference guide. Metronome and tuner is cool though!
Old 28th August 2008
Henry,

I think you are confusing 2G and 3G with GB which is data storage space (gigabytes). 2G and 3G are data networks where 3G is the faster one. This has nothing to do with data storage, it's the network on which the iPhone connects.

I've got the new 3G as does my wife and together with unlimited texting and a shared 1400 minutes per month, we pay $175 plus all the taxes, etc. I honestly don't know how I lived without being connected like this for so long. The iPhone is giving me a chance to still be connected for my customers, yet spend more time with my family because I don't always have to be in the office. It's really great.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Old 28th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

Hey Hendry, while Sprint has gotten better over the years I have a feeling you may be getting better service / connection from AT&T in some ways. My service happens to be fine just about anywhere I normally am...except home is kind of weak but still works.

I don't know if you're in a position to consider another carrier, but I figured I would chime in about the new Samsung Instinct which I am really digging.

For $99 a month I get unlimited everything: web, text, phone / long distance, GPS navigation (it's both visual and speaker phone), business locator / search (I can ask it for coffee shops etc, like most GPS units will do, it will give me all choices in my geographic area and then lead me there), music / mp3 (I do not use but plan to soon), live and on demand TV (I get Comedy Central, CNN, lots of good channels, it's like having basic cable on your phone), still and video camera (they are OK, typical phone stuff...), radio (I can listen to stations from around the country in any genre I like, although the quality is worse than satellite) which allows certain Sirius subscription stuff also apparently that I don't use, a movie search feature which again searches geographically and I can sort out which times and theaters and even buy tickets on the phone on the spot, as well as news, sports, weather and other things many phones can do these days.

I'm not kidding, it does all these things and it actually does them pretty damn well.

Worth a mention, monthly is way cheaper vs AT&T.

War

PS: When I call you Hendry it is with a Joe Pesci accent.
Old 28th August 2008
I dont know if a phone exists that displays Flash media yet... is there one?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

The 3g is a great phone, but not perfect. One thing i will tell you is that it really is great not to fumble with an ipod and a phone. Really great, in fact. And the headphones are a little better, and it has a talk thingy so you can answer the phone when listening.

Protools Guy covered most of the imperfections. Things like GPS have issues, handoffs between edge and 3g, they are trying to fix with their latest firmware update.

Other downsides: battery issues (all these features are a tradeoff), roaming data charges, can't upload a photo (to GS, for example) though you can email it to yourself and upload it from your home computer. Many of the new 3rd party apps crash, but its really not a big deal. If you are having issues with GPS (common) the ones that use it are useless.

Wifi surfing is fantastic, the 3g surfing is OK but sometimes sucks. Email is good but you can't get your hotmail for free unless you use the web browser. It is great to take a photo and email it to your friends instantly. No flash, though and OK quality.

Overall, with the new price point of the phone, this thing is really great. Not perfect, though. But what is? The data plan is $30. Text message pkg are expensive. Let's face it, he's got out attention and money.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

The iPhone has a few downsides but 5 times as many upsides.
No Cut, Copy, Paste.
Typing is still slow compared to my Treo.
Battery life is still not the greatest.

But I can truly say I cannot live without my iPhone now.
I don't take my computer hardly anywhere, anymore.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

As far as the phone the 2G is better than the 3G, the older ones are bigger with a bigger screen, yes a little slower, also the battery life in the 3G is not as good. I stayed with the 2G, i almost fell for it...anyways i love my iphone, if my wifes takes me out and im bored ive always got my iphone/GS....LOL
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

OK, yooz guys did it. I'm leaving the house soon to purchase an iPhone. 2G or 3G, I'm not sure.

Kittonian thanks for clarifying my confusion for me on that score!

Another question - I use an old mail program (Eudora). I already have challenges with the huge amount of email I get. They spill into two different computers. I sometimes have to transfer them from one to the other. Will I have an issue transferring mail from iPhone to Mac to iPhone? I know there's no Eudora program for iPhone. They stopped developing that thing commercially anyway.
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Guru

Oh. Duh. I suppose just use the web browser to view email, not download it.

You guys don't have to hold my hand. Sheesh. The way I'm acting you'd think I was buying a Neve Console here . . .
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

no you can have all your pop and imap mail accounts, but on the pop stuff just don't have your isp settings / webmail settings delete messages from the server when they are downloaded. that way all your computers will have the same messages on the pop accounts (though pop doesn't sync). or use the browser for webmail, but thats kind of hassle for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search