The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm about to buy an iPhone Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Addict

Old 29th August 2008
Gear Guru

Damn it! I thought my 5k post would be celebratory. You know, I'm celebrating by getting an iPhone. F&^$#!

The price of $199 doesn't apply to me because I'm an AT&T customer in good standing. I'm not yet eligible for an upgrade. So MY cost is $399!!! Exactly twice the cost if I never was an AT&T customer.

I asked the Apple Store sales lady where it says that. No where IN THE STORE does it say that. She had to search the website, page after page, where another sales clerk said it was, to find the reference or policy. So if the website is considered the store, I guess that's more of the fine print.

I told her I thought that was real ****ty. It wasn't her fault. She's not making Jobs policy.

So I went to the AT&T store. Thought maybe I could get them to move my upgrade date. No way. She said they can do that with any other phone except the iPhone. Apple is adamant about that.

So . . . I can cancel the AT&T account I have and start a new one, and THEN buy an iPhone for $199. But then I'd have to have a new number. Or I can wait until April 2009 for the next upgrade period. Oh yes, or I can pay $399.

Maybe I'll buy a Blackberry. I guess my son was right after all, in a round about way . . .

Sucks.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

i'd definitely wait in that case. they could make some small but important internal improvements by then to fix some glitches (which they say can be done 100% with updating the firmware rewrites...we'll see)

but for $200 over 6 months i dunno....you would think there would be a way to make it whole in present value terms. like an extra $50 bucks.

i remember the long lines and they were having people call at&t and check upgrade ability in line. some after hours of waiting.

there is something to be said for waiting for the kinks to get ironed out, and there were / are a few.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear
its a pretty awesome phone. far from perfect and not for everyone. but over all it is damn awesome.

check out the app omnifocus for iphone and mac. reasearch it and watch the videos first. it really is fantastic.

Guitar toolkit is another fantastic plugin.
Old 29th August 2008
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protools Guy View Post
My complaints about the iPhone:
You can't copy & paste (this is pitiful since it's got the same kernel as Apple's latest OS)
No sync of the "notes" function/application.
No picture messaging (even though you can send/receive in an email)
No flash support
Camera is still photo only... No movie capability

Having said that, I love mine, but wish it had the above features.
I sooooo soooo agree with you on these features that you would think they would've thought of it and include them but again as someone mentioned, its APPLE, its all strategic and by the END of this year or middle of next year they will announce a new version of Iphone 3G with a capacity of space like who knows maybe 30 gigs and up and then Steve Jobs will say " We listened to you, we heard your comments about these and these features and we've included them for you for 0$" but you gotta go by the new for you to get that hahahha!

Or maybe let's hope that they will listen to the complaints and missing features and will update in the OS without making us pay (witch i doubt a bit)

Other then that, it's simply and honestly the best phone ever i must admit. I love mine with of course the little things that we would wish to have them already included but are not yet.

So yes it's a greaaaaaaaat phone!!! Loooooooooooove it!!

P.S And by the way, one thing i find a total rip off is the way Application download works. I believe that Apple should make ALL apps that has a cost available for a Trial whatever 7 days or 14 days depend on the developer or leave to the developer to choose the trial frame time because sometimes you buy it and even by relying on the "REVIEWS" sometimes it happens that you don't like the APP and you can get refund and for me i find that not a good policy!!! I'm maybe mistaking but never got a refund
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Henry, I believe the reason is AT&T pays Apple $200 for every Iphone they activate with an AT&T account. They won't give the subsidy if the customer is already under contract with AT&T, unless the contract is about to end, then the $200 Iphone is a great bribe to stay on AT&T.

So its crappy, but it makes total business sense. Otherwise the phone would be $400 for everyone as it was before. I paid that for my old Iphone, SO worth it.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
They won't give the subsidy if the customer is already under contract with AT&T, unless the contract is about to end, then the $200 Iphone is a great bribe to stay on AT&T.
It does make sense overall, but when you think about it a guy who signed up yesterday with a 2 year contract and 729 days to go before contract expiration pays the same as someone who has 90 days left until contract expiration.

Now i know that their current contract paid for the last phone, but there must be a number somewhere between promotion price and full price. Like if you have 75%, 50% or 25% or less to go here are your prices.

There is definitely something to be said for keeping it simple, certainly nothing wrong with keeping people to hold their contracts they signed. However you would think AT&T would want to work with people to upgrade with a higher value contract and still pay apple their full handset cost.

Guess AT&T had their hands full enough with the roll-out. And apple is selling everything it can produce.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

That is so fvcked up!

My girl went to the Apple store and got both me and her phones for $199 each. We have been ATT customers for over 5 years. She got the phones switched and turned on at the Apple store.

Try the Apple store Henry!!
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

i just got my new iphone, and its amazing, i'm in love. buy one do whatever you need to do to get one.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
That is so fvcked up!

My girl went to the Apple store and got both me and her phones for $199 each. We have been ATT customers for over 5 years. She got the phones switched and turned on at the Apple store.

Try the Apple store Henry!!
That's where it all started, at the Apple Store.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

I was just in England... there they GIVE you the 8gb 3G iPod touch when you sign up for the 45GBP per month plan... 45GBP is about 80 bucks... about what I'd pay if I had the unlimited data plan. I mean, that's what the signs said. Maybe there's a catch. I'm sure there's a CONTRACT, but what's new?
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

I would love to get an iPhone but I'm currently spending $30 a month for unlimited data and texts along with 500 minutes (I never break 100 and most months not even 50.) While I know I would fully use all of the iPhone functions, I can't justify paying probably around $70 more a month to get the same type of plan I have now....
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! View Post
I would love to get an iPhone but I'm currently spending $30 a month for unlimited data and texts along with 500 minutes (I never break 100 and most months not even 50.) While I know I would fully use all of the iPhone functions, I can't justify paying probably around $70 more a month to get the same type of plan I have now....
Who has that plan? I want that!
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Damn it! I thought my 5k post would be celebratory. You know, I'm celebrating by getting an iPhone. F&^$#!

The price of $199 doesn't apply to me because I'm an AT&T customer in good standing. I'm not yet eligible for an upgrade. So MY cost is $399!!! Exactly twice the cost if I never was an AT&T customer.

I asked the Apple Store sales lady where it says that. No where IN THE STORE does it say that. She had to search the website, page after page, where another sales clerk said it was, to find the reference or policy. So if the website is considered the store, I guess that's more of the fine print.

I told her I thought that was real ****ty. It wasn't her fault. She's not making Jobs policy.

So I went to the AT&T store. Thought maybe I could get them to move my upgrade date. No way. She said they can do that with any other phone except the iPhone. Apple is adamant about that.

So . . . I can cancel the AT&T account I have and start a new one, and THEN buy an iPhone for $199. But then I'd have to have a new number. Or I can wait until April 2009 for the next upgrade period. Oh yes, or I can pay $399.

Maybe I'll buy a Blackberry. I guess my son was right after all, in a round about way . . .

Sucks.

That's pretty shady. Can't you just start a new two year contract and keep your number?
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Guru

Yeah. I can start a new two year contract and keep my old number if I pay $399 for the iPhone.
Old 31st August 2008
Lives for gear

Henry - I'm in the same boat. They won't get my renewal / business...

that is.... until my contract runs out

-steve
Old 31st August 2008
Lives for gear

In Canada Rogers sux big time for the iphone. I bought an iPhone last October and unlocked it. I got a great plan $65.00/month including data and all my taxes. I wanted to upgrade to a 3G it would have cost me $130.00/month. (3ys in Canada unlike 2yrs in the US) But then Rogers said I would not be able to upgrade even though I did not buy a subsidized phone.
So I bought a new 3G and sold my old 2G it only cost me $150.00 after selling my old one. Now I don't have to to buy the expensive Rogers plan and I can keep my old plan.
I sure don't understand how cell phone companies turn away business like that.
I would never turn away a customer who *WANTS* to spend more money in my studio.
Oh well they saved me a bundleheh
Old 1st September 2008
Gear Guru

Yeah, I don't get it. Maybe add a small upgrade fee. But $200 is not a small upgrade fee.

Besides I had to get a new phone last October because my old one completely died. And the phone I have now is a little defective. Often when I pull it out of my pocket to answer, the battery shifts and the phone turns off. Why not just allow me to void that contract and buy another phone? I actually bought the phone, didn't I? I mean maybe it was a DEAL, but I didn't get it for free. Like maybe it was $120. And don't think that was any GREAT deal.

It's ****ty business.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

It's not an upgrade fee, it's a $200 discount for joining AT&T. If they'd just advertise it that way people would be so mad. But Apple REALLY wants to make it look like the iPhone is $199. In fact it's $399 and AT&T is paying $200 of it for you if you're a new customer.

Get one anyway, it's worth $399. It's almost as good as having a laptop in your pocket.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
It's not an upgrade fee, it's a $200 discount for joining AT&T. If they'd just advertise it that way people would be so mad. But Apple REALLY wants to make it look like the iPhone is $199. In fact it's $399 and AT&T is paying $200 of it for you if you're a new customer.

Get one anyway, it's worth $399. It's almost as good as having a laptop in your pocket.
iPhone 3G discount is available to 1) iPhone customers who purchased before July 11
2) customers activating a new line with AT&T and 3) current AT&T customers who are eligible, for an upgrade discount which is "generally" determined by amount of time remaining on a current contract and payment history.

that's two more than just new at&t customers. note the payment history point.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OK. My son says I'm stoopid. He's pretty smart, but he's only 16. He says they're really slow. Says they're lame. He's wrong about things an awful lot, but I tend to listen to him because he's also right a lot and has a great practical mind about the world and people.

So I already have an AT&T account for my cell phone. I like being able to retrieve email, surf the web and on some of those other occasions when traveling I can leave my powerbook at home. He said I should just get a Blackberry.

In an hour or two I'm heading to the Apple Store. If someone has some advice, insight, please, I'm all ears. I figure the 3GB is fine for me. I already have an 80GB iPod. I don't plan to listen to music with the iPhone. But being able to mix with it a little is cool, even though I already have a Tranzport and Compact ReMote SL-25. I don't know, I'm a Slut at heart, OK?

Should I buy it or is my son right? Is this slow and a dog on the web?
I phone rules.

-Freq
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear
iphone does not rule but its pretty much better then anything else out there (unless you really like keyboards).

for one thing I get a lot of crashes and had to do 2 reinstalls already. Still love it though.

For all those getting an iphone here is a tip if you are a crazy busy person with lots of stuff to do. Get the app "Omnifocus" Its way to expensive but its awesome. its also available for mac (not sure about PC). If you get the beta mac version off of their site you save 20 bucks when you buy. Anyways read up on the philosophy and you will see how awesome this is. Its basically a glorified todo list. I started using it about a month ago and love it. easily the most useful iphone app right now.

other app you MUST get:
GuitarToolKit

Thats about it. really only those 2 apps the rest is kinda just throw away stuff.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Head

I have a 3g iPhone, the white one, and I think it's fantastic. I would buy another one again, definitely. One of the best things I've spent my money on in the last few years.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post

They should say, "Join AT&T and get a $399 iPhone for free! Current AT&T user only pay $199 for their upgrade offer!"

What they do is misleading and dishonest.
Old 9th September 2008
Jai guru deva om

I watch the news on my Samsung Instinct in bed at night while my wife is sleeping...I watch Comedy Central while I'm on the crapper...

War
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They should say, "Join AT&T and get a $399 iPhone for free! Current AT&T user only pay $199 for their upgrade offer!"

What they do is misleading and dishonest.
You must still be under a previous contract. My wife and I, with AT&T for years, upgraded to the new iPhone for $199 each. Actually I paid more cuz I got me 16GB. That was because we were past our prior 2-year contract and eligible for an upgrade (not just iPhone, any AT&T upgrade.)

You should be fine once your prior contract expires. Double-check that. If your eligible for an upgrade to any other phone, you're eligible for a $199 iPhone. In that case, nothing shady going on, you'll have the same situ once you sign your new 2 year contract for the iPhone. 2 year contract is 2 year contract.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Guru

I guess you haven't read the thread! I know all this. I think there IS something shady going on. I''m not eligible until April to get it for 199. It's shady advertising. On the APPLE website it says the iPhone STARTS at $199. No mention of this being a promotional offer for AT&T; that signing up you get an iPhone for free in exchange for moving to AT&T and that it'll will only apply to current AT&T customers if your contract has expired. You're led to believe that the iPhone's price starts at $199.

Shady indeed.
Old 9th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
iphone does not rule but its pretty much better then anything else out there (unless you really like keyboards).

for one thing I get a lot of crashes and had to do 2 reinstalls already. Still love it though.

For all those getting an iphone here is a tip if you are a crazy busy person with lots of stuff to do. Get the app "Omnifocus" Its way to expensive but its awesome. its also available for mac (not sure about PC). If you get the beta mac version off of their site you save 20 bucks when you buy. Anyways read up on the philosophy and you will see how awesome this is. Its basically a glorified todo list. I started using it about a month ago and love it. easily the most useful iphone app right now.

other app you MUST get:
GuitarToolKit

Thats about it. really only those 2 apps the rest is kinda just throw away stuff.
I am 100% down with all of the above..

I do like qwerty "thumb" typing and had a lot of hopes pinned on the new Blackberry Bold. But I just had one for 3 days and it was a total DOG of a phone - sent it back, too wide, too heavy, crappy WiFi operation..

In the meantime I discovered Omnifocus, (and "zero in box" philosophies in general... )

As soon as I heard the Iphone had an Omifocus app - that convinced me - (because prior to that all the Iphone apps seemed like total time wasting 'toys')

Blackberry's rely on PCs for OS updates - so if you are a Mac owner, its kind of a dead end..You aren't able to tweak its performance to get the latest and greatest from the device.. And no in depth "too do list" software for it that is Mac friendly..

I will have to get over my fear of typing on glass.. Big deal.. So - Iphone on the horizon for me.. They just tweaked it with a V 2.1 software update (out this Friday) that is supposed to fix aps crashing, dropped calls, improve 3G and extend battery life.

Goodbye Blackberry - its been fun...

Good to get the news thedommer, thanks..

Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

There's a lot of complaining on the web and the streets about the iPhone's signal receive strength and dropped connections. (yesterday it was even an item in a dutch tv program here that deals with buyers complaints)

Also battery life is mentioned.

But after reading on the web, I am still not sure, if it's the phone or the telecom providers network.

Here's a link to a test done in Sweden which more or less proves that the iPhone itself isn't faulty. Iphone 3G antenna test - Teknik & trender - Göteborgs-Posten

But when I hold my iPhone and my old Sony-Ericsson side by side, the Sony does show lot more signal strength, however those tiny bars don't really say much offcourse.

Since I still have to sit out a contract on the old phone, I have not been calling a lot with the iPhone, I do use it to internet in the train going to and from work though. It works okay, except that for the first part of the trip there's almost no 3G coverage.

Offcourse to call you don't necessarily need 3G.

And you can turn off WIFI and 3G if you don't use it, so that would also safe batterylife a bit, I am not calling a lot, so standby times have been pretty good to me.

I kind of dig the app MobileFinder, I like to take PDF manuals with me to read in the train, the only problem I have witnessed is that it has problems opening large PDF's, I get a memory to low message. Sometimes re-opening the PDF one or two times, works. Or the PDF will open after a reboot. This probably has to do with the limited RAM in the phone (128MB) and the fact that some of the default apps, do stay active in some way in the background, and not clearing the RAM. I also have been splitting the really thick manuals, luckily this can easily be done on any Mac in the print screen, saving a section to a new file...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search