The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stress & worry - when did YOU just let go? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th August 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
 
C Heat's Avatar
 

Stress & worry - when did YOU just let go?

At what point in your life did you decide "from this day on I'm just not gonna worry about 'this'" (replace 'this' with your stress / worry triggers).

Was it an event that marked the decision? A comment from some-one? A particular realization? Divine intervention?

Please share.
Old 28th August 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
RawBeanZen's Avatar
 

Hi C Heat,

Here's my honest answer.

After my father killed himself I spent many years blaming myself.

Should have said more, done more, been more. It was terrible, like a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from.

Now here I am many years later, and this is what I see:

Every one of us has a brief and precious moment here on Earth....so what's it gonna be?

I'm done sweating the small stuff.

Old 28th August 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
C Heat's Avatar
 

Hi RawBeanZen.

Powerful stuff. Really.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 28th August 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
picksail's Avatar
 

You'd be surprised that "f*ck it!" can be a profound philosophy.
Old 30th August 2008
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
DonPedro's Avatar
 

I occasionally utter the words "Life's to short for this ****" and walk away. Works wonders for me. And another thing. Work out. Please work out. It cleans your buffers both mentally and physically. Nothing like an hour on the treadmill with good music in your headphones to stop worrying about the small stuff.
Old 30th August 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
rectifier's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post
And another thing. Work out. Please work out. It cleans your buffers both mentally and physically. Nothing like an hour on the treadmill with good music in your headphones to stop worrying about the small stuff.
well said that man, does wonders for mind and body. I do mostly elliptical but same principle, I feel fantastic after.
Old 31st August 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 
bitman's Avatar
After I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, became born again and was then indwelled with the Holy Spirit.

It was like: "Ahhhh that's better. The peace that surpasses all understanding. That's what I was missing.

Old 31st August 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 
hobson's Avatar
 

recognizing just how much un-harnessed energy is wasted 'worrying' about something/anything - realizing just how many more accomplishments i could have if i didn't waste that precious time/energy worrying about things (in most cases - things i don't really have a lot of control over anyway)... the illogic of waste.

and Hurricane Katrina - took my Dad's home (my childhood home) and "erased" it.. little was salvaged - damn...



Hobson
Old 31st August 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
Similar experience to Raw Bean.

Didnt see eye to eye with my Dad. He passed away too young. Even though I got a chance to say goodbye to him, I felt tremendous guilt and I was somehow to blame...

ROCK BOTTOM..

It haunted me for about 3 years (pretty much brokedown every single day) until I decided to see a concelor and realized that **** happens in life.

You can choose to accept ups and downs and roll with them. I honestly dont stress the small stuff anymore. Car repairs, bills... **** it...

It aint life, life is precious - its just window dressing..

If I start thinking that way, I just look to people who dont have it good in life and who are less fortunate and it brings me right back down into myself and centers me.

Old 31st August 2008
  #10
Gear Nut
 

I may still be young (24) but I strongly believe that the key to life is balance, in everything.

One thing that helped me worry less is understanding that the downs in life allow you to appreciate the ups. Bad stuff happens and can paralyze you, but eventually you realize that you're not alone and that we're all vulnerable as humans.

The idea is to recognize that every problem is an opportunity in disguise. Learn from the failures, tragedies, bad luck, and use that newfound knowledge to move forward. That + regular exercise + surrounding yourself with people who care about you. Having a significant other certainly doesn't hurt.
Old 31st August 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 

I don't get stressed very easily - having said that, when I get into heavy traffic out on the roads/freeways, then my stress level notches up.
Old 31st August 2008
  #12
Lives for gear
 
RawBeanZen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman360 View Post
The idea is to recognize that every problem is an opportunity in disguise. Learn from the failures, tragedies, bad luck, and use that newfound knowledge to move forward.
Stick with that attitude, my friend, and you'll live a happy life.
Old 31st August 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Jay-'s Avatar
What I do is park my car, put keys inside and pretty much walk out of my life vanishing from friends and family for ever.

I am a missing person.
Old 1st September 2008
  #14
Lives for gear
 
C Heat's Avatar
 

My girlfriend quoted this once, and I'll never forget it -

"Worry is a dark room where negatives develop"
Old 1st September 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawBeanZen View Post
gonna be?

I'm done sweating the small stuff.
I think that's a good way to live life.
Old 1st September 2008
  #16
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post
Nothing like an hour on the treadmill with good music in your headphones to stop worrying about the small stuff.
Seems a bit excessive - didn't do Isaac Hayes any good.

Walk around, get some air - it's so much better.
Old 1st September 2008
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
After I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, became born again and was then indwelled with the Holy Spirit.

It was like: "Ahhhh that's better. The peace that surpasses all understanding. That's what I was missing.

+1
Old 1st September 2008
  #18
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
I don't know when exactly it happened, but I don't stress too much. I just don't. Everything seems to work out with a little bit of effort. Stress isn't worth the time of day.
Old 3rd September 2008
  #19
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
After I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, became born again and was then indwelled with the Holy Spirit.

It was like: "Ahhhh that's better. The peace that surpasses all understanding. That's what I was missing.

For me it was when I stopped listening to self-righteous religious dingbats and other people who tried to tell me how to live my life based on other people's obsolete fictions.
Old 3rd September 2008
  #20
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
For me it was when I stopped listening to self-righteous religious dingbats and other people who tried to tell me how to live my life based on other people's obsolete fictions.
+1000000
Old 3rd September 2008
  #21
Lives for gear
 
picksail's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul EQ View Post
Seems a bit excessive - didn't do Isaac Hayes any good.
Yeah, but didn't Elvis die on the toilet?
Old 3rd September 2008
  #22
Lives for gear
 
inlinenl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
At what point in your life did you decide "from this day on I'm just not gonna worry about 'this'" (replace 'this' with your stress / worry triggers).

Was it an event that marked the decision? A comment from some-one? A particular realization? Divine intervention?

Please share.

I'm 44 and I still worry even on the small stuff & sometimes I don't give a f*ck , I accept me being human ... just don't expect to be happy all the time ... high-times/low-times go hand in hand.
Old 3rd September 2008
  #23
Gear Nut
 

Wink Here's how to stop worrying

Guys, I have found the perfect solution to worrying.

YouTube - Not Giving a ****!

Enjoy! heh
Old 4th September 2008
  #24
Lives for gear
 
jeremy.c.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
Yeah, but didn't Elvis die on the toilet?
oh man, I'm only sh*tting in the backyard from now on!

I do yoga and meditate and swim. I think physical activity is absolutely the best way to kill stress. It doesn't have to be swimming and yoga, those are just things I enjoy, I spent too many years not exercising because I found the gym boring and I hate running, etc. Once I found things I could enjoy I really got into it and now I have no problems sleeping at night and I am much slower to anger and to stress out... it's been great!
Old 4th September 2008
  #25
6293
Guest
go surfing.
right now.
dont care if ur in bumbfuk ohio
get in the car and go.
Old 4th September 2008
  #26
Lives for gear
 
C Heat's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

I agree with the exercise gig, be it running, walking, swimming, gym, surfing... et al.

Get outside — move — breathe. It just takes the edge off... well, everything
Old 5th September 2008
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
For me it was when I stopped listening to self-righteous religious dingbats and other people who tried to tell me how to live my life based on other people's obsolete fictions.
Man, he isn't preaching to anyone, simply answering the question. Hurling insults at someone whose faith you don't agree with is just chicken****. I'm not particularity religious but some of the most judgmental and closed minded people I've ever known have been fundamentalist atheist's.
Old 5th September 2008
  #28
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgyptionRing View Post
Man, he isn't preaching to anyone, simply answering the question. Hurling insults at someone whose faith you don't agree with is just chicken****. I'm not particularity religious but some of the most judgmental and closed minded people I've ever known have been fundamentalist atheist's.
Listen, I don't want to get into a flame war here, but you didn't read what I wrote accurately.

I said that I began to let go when I stopped listening to what other people told me was true. I'm not slamming anybody. They can do whatever they want. But I found joy in pursuing THE TRUTH as it appears to my own consciousness, not in believing a bunch of ideology that one group of dead old strangers wrote and another group of people chooses to blindly believe.

Peace to you.
Old 5th September 2008
  #29
Lives for gear
 
jeremy.c.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
Listen, I don't want to get into a flame war here, but you didn't read what I wrote accurately.

I said that I began to let go when I stopped listening to what other people told me was true. I'm not slamming anybody. They can do whatever they want. But I found joy in pursuing THE TRUTH as it appears to my own consciousness, not in believing a bunch of ideology that one group of dead old strangers wrote and another group of people chooses to blindly believe.

Peace to you.
THEM'S FEUDIN' WORDS!!!


word.
Old 5th September 2008
  #30
Lives for gear
 
RawBeanZen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I think that's a good way to live life.
Well, it came down to a simple choice: lighten up or self-destruct.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
FattMusiek / The Moan Zone
23
TheArchitect / Music Computers
0
ron florentine / So much gear, so little time
41
BevvyB / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump