The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stress & worry - when did YOU just let go? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawBeanZen View Post
Well, it came down to a simple choice: lighten up or self-destruct.
Ohhh man. Been there too.

Razors edge. Not a nice place to be standing...
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
You'd be surprised that "f*ck it!" can be a profound philosophy.
You know, that phrase, a little faith in God, and in myself, not to mention a few butt kickings from a kick-ass VO coach seemed to work wonders for my ability to just let it all go.

It's a daily thing though...
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
My girlfriend quoted this once, and I'll never forget it -

"Worry is a dark room where negatives develop"
Wow...that is a really excellent quote. I don't want to forget that one either.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracejames View Post
Wow...that is a really excellent quote. I don't want to forget that one either.
I'm always completely blown away by the power and elegance that some people can transcribe thoughts into weighty words.
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

My favorite little aphorisms is one I came across many years ago.

It was something like this: "One cannot perceive light without darkness"

Simple.
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post
I occasionally utter the words "Life's to short for this ****".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobson View Post
and Hurricane Katrina - took my Dad's home (my childhood home) and "erased" it.. little was salvaged - damn...
I hope there's light in this darkness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
I just look to people who dont have it good in life and who are less fortunate and it brings me right back down into myself and centers me.
Yep. Works a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman360 View Post
I may still be young (24) but I strongly believe that the key to life is balance, in everything.

One thing that helped me worry less is understanding that the downs in life allow you to appreciate the ups. Bad stuff happens and can paralyze you, but eventually you realize that you're not alone and that we're all vulnerable as humans.

The idea is to recognize that every problem is an opportunity in disguise. Learn from the failures, tragedies, bad luck, and use that newfound knowledge to move forward. That + regular exercise + surrounding yourself with people who care about you. Having a significant other certainly doesn't hurt.
Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Everything seems to work out with a little bit of effort.
Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
I accept me being human ... just don't expect to be happy all the time ... high-times/low-times go hand in hand.
So true.

Quote:
"One cannot perceive light without darkness". Simple.
I like it. Thank for sharing.
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

After my father killed himself I spent many years blaming myself.

Should have said more, done more, been more. It was terrible, like a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from.

Now here I am many years later, and this is what I see:

Every one of us has a brief and precious moment here on Earth....so what's it gonna be?

I'm done sweating the small stuff.

I hung out with my dad today.

I talked about this thread, your post, and your own thread that started a 'mini-Gearslutz-revolution' (you know the one).

He said many things, but overall he asked me to give you one of these

Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
He said many things, but overall he asked me to give you one of these

Received and felt. Thank you.

You know how in my earlier post to you I said that life used to be like a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from?

Well, what's been happening here on GS this week is like the most amazing dream, one that I wouldn't want to wake up from.

But it's not a dream.

It's real, because we're choosing to make it real.

Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Received and felt. Thank you.

You know how in my earlier post to you I said that life used to be like a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from?

Well, what's been happening here on GS this week is like the most amazing dream, one that I wouldn't want to wake up from.

But it's not a dream.

It's real, because we're choosing to make it real.

ahhh yeah!
Old 30th September 2008
One word....Alprazolam
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
One word....Alprazolam
Hahaha, I'm hearing ya.

I was able to deal with mild anxiety/depression drug-free, and to a point where it's non-existent anymore. But don't get me wrong, if I ever need pills I would not hesitate to go down that road. For some, it's the only option. At least an option exists, and if it helps I ain't knocking it
Old 1st October 2008
Gear Addict

Great thread!

Its all about perception in every situation, I am so small and everything else is a hell of a lot more. That gives me the power to percieve it as I want and stay open minded, feels like freedom.

My quote for today;

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Jimi Hendrix

Old 1st October 2008
Gear Guru

OCD is common with some engineers and some artists. If that's you then control only what you can by doing your best, step by step, day by day, task by task. Then rest ... and be happy with what you did. What we can't control is out of our hands, so let it be.

Life is supposed to difficult, if we stop trying to make it easy it gets easier.

Another good one is to do something very hard that helps someone else who is in trouble, then our problems and worries seem silly.

and finally ...

Suffer Cheerfully
Old 1st October 2008
Lives for gear

great thread fellows!!
Old 1st October 2008
Here for the gear

I am a newbie around here.

Just had to chime in. Before anything I did that was new or out of my comfort zone......massive stress, anxiety and doubt. And it all boils down to worrying about stuff that is beyond my control.

One of the gigs I played once was a big lesson to me and one I need to remember. The drummer and guitarist failed to show on time and it was just me (on keys) the bassist and the singer. I just went dead inside and felt disaster around the corner and a million and one scenarios of failure went through my head. And a very packed and popular venue waited for us to play.......I had no choice but to say to myself "do your best, go with it, and GIVE IT UP!".I just forgot about the audience and got on with things. You know what? after that gig I had people coming up to me saying how blown away by me playing they were and a successful engineer also said that that was the best keyboards he had heard in ages.

My first audio engineering/mixing job was similar - fear, stress and heavy doubt, just had to get on with it although it was very hard.

So I personally have to remember..try and do the best you can, hold things very lightly then step off the ledge into the unknown. Its still hard but as a previous post said "life isn't supposed to be easy"
Old 5th October 2008
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, but didn't Elvis die on the toilet?
One man's toilet is another man's treadmill?
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprebola View Post
I just started writing a song in my head about 30 min about how i have recently stopped caring (worrying) about the wrong things of late.

Then I jumped on here and this forum fell in my lap.

Wow, its a wide world of support on this side guys, come join us!
Welcome
Old 6th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Stop and smell the roses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb View Post
oh man, I'm only sh*tting in the backyard from now on!

I do yoga and meditate and swim. I think physical activity is absolutely the best way to kill stress. It doesn't have to be swimming and yoga, those are just things I enjoy, I spent too many years not exercising because I found the gym boring and I hate running, etc. Once I found things I could enjoy I really got into it and now I have no problems sleeping at night and I am much slower to anger and to stress out... it's been great!
+2
I used to get stressed, the kind that eats you for days, weeks, months. Now I get worked up and it passes. Physical activity is great for release. Right now, fall foliage is happening all around me. A simple drive to the job and seeing the amazing colors and smelling the air does wonders. Very often I just look around to the trees and mountains and say "This is life!", not worrying about a late check coming in or planning the next gig or even thinking about the world economy crashing. I am alive with no physical handicaps, living in the wonderful country of Vermont!
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post

Life is supposed to difficult, if we stop trying to make it easy it gets easier.
That's a new one for me. Why do you think life is supposed to be difficult? Is this a statement about your life, or what you see life to be in general?
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
One man's toilet is another man's treadmill?
haha...

or one mans dream is another mans reality?
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGG View Post
That's a new one for me. Why do you think life is supposed to be difficult? Is this a statement about your life, or what you see life to be in general?
Its genetics. Struggle used to be physical, now it's more intellectual and emotional.

That's also the first line of 'The Road Less Traveled'.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

When I realized there are two deaths, and I had already died the first one.

-SD
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgyptionRing View Post
Man, he isn't preaching to anyone, simply answering the question. Hurling insults at someone whose faith you don't agree with is just chicken****. I'm not particularity religious but some of the most judgmental and closed minded people I've ever known have been fundamentalist atheist's.

Thats truth

i like henrys theory about everything working out for the best.

even if you lose your job, your ability to walk, and all three of your children in a tractor accident you are still left with a choice. You can choose how you will react, maybe not right away but over time there is always the opportunity to grow. Considering the above scenario, f you are miserable for the rest of your life, it is not really your fault. At least you have that right?

This said, i still worry more than id like about stuff that is basically out of my control. I probably dont worry enough about things that i do have some amount of control over.

Its probably best if you can focus 70% of your attention to the present moment and divide the rest between past memories and future concerns.
Heavy focus on the past inevitably makes you depressed. To much focus on the future will leave you anxious.

Focus on the moment...
easier said than done.
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindkind View Post
Thats truth

i like henrys theory about everything working out for the best.

even if you lose your job, your ability to walk, and all three of your children in a tractor accident you are still left with a choice. You can choose how you will react, maybe not right away but over time there is always the opportunity to grow. Considering the above scenario, f you are miserable for the rest of your life, it is not really your fault. At least you have that right?

This said, i still worry more than id like about stuff that is basically out of my control. I probably dont worry enough about things that i do have some amount of control over.

Its probably best if you can focus 70% of your attention to the present moment and divide the rest between past memories and future concerns.
Heavy focus on the past inevitably makes you depressed. To much focus on the future will leave you anxious.

Focus on the moment...
easier said than done.

..well said.
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindkind View Post
Nice
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

I've always liked "Life is 5% what happens to you and 95% how you react to it."

And, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Carpe Diem. You just never know when it's going to be your last diem to carpe.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
I've always liked "Life is 5% what happens to you and 95% how you react to it."

And, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Carpe Diem. You just never know when it's going to be your last diem to carpe.

Cheers,
--
Don
I'd like to add to your quotes a few from some friends of mine.
One friend observed, "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted."
Another friend, in reply to the quote "**** happens," said "Life Happens."
I really like that.
Old 27th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
Listen, I don't want to get into a flame war here, but you didn't read what I wrote accurately.

I said that I began to let go when I stopped listening to what other people told me was true. I'm not slamming anybody. They can do whatever they want. But I found joy in pursuing THE TRUTH as it appears to my own consciousness, not in believing a bunch of ideology that one group of dead old strangers wrote and another group of people chooses to blindly believe.

Peace to you.
Unfortunately what you wrote was designed as an insult to the previous two posters in this thread. You may say "but I wasn't insulting them, I was just expressing my opinion" but you intended your comments to be taken that way.

If you hadn't you'd have said "I began to let go when I stopped worrying about whether there is a God or not and chose just to live my life etc etc".

No need to throw insults really is there? I mean I'm with you in principle...but if you need to insult the beliefs of others, you're not really letting it all roll over you are you?
Old 31st October 2008
Gear Head

Great thread everybody.
Well, except for the religious argument thats about to begin, that we can do without.

As far as stress and worry is concerned, lately I've been dealing with this issue more than ever before in my life. I try different things, but one thing that I always go back to is relaxing to the right song. The same one doesn't always work, sometimes you have to find it, but once you do, man, it reminds you why we do this sort of work.
My old faithful is Cat Stevens, Moonshadow.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search