The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just got my HD-650 Studio Headphones
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Addict

Just got my HD-650

So I just got my new HD-650 today. I haven't gotten the chance to sit down and listen to them till now. Boy, I gotta tell you, these sound ammmmaaaazing when you're smoked out. Just my .02 :-)
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

I received a pair yesterday but I was ill so no testing yet. I'm a little concerned about the tight fit though. The earcups press much to hard on me. Don't know how much I can loosen it by stretching the thing.

If my memory serves me the HD600 was tight (but not THAT tight) when new as well and I stretched them out by placing them on something bigger than my head. :-)

Gonna listen to them tonight.

/Peter
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Guru

Smile

A 100 hour run-in should get them settled in.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

So, I have been swapping HD600 and HD650 back and forth tonight and I don't know what to think of the HD650.

I think they are a little bass/low mid heavy which makes them sound tonaly less realistic than HD600 on the material I have used which is a 12 string acoustic, 6 string, banjo and a aluminum low whistle recorded with Earthworks QTC1 A/B > Earthworks 1024 > Lynx Aurora.

In particular the 12 string seems to loose some of the wonderful brilliance.

At the same time it's possible that I can hear a tad more resolving power.. possibly slightly less distortion and less stored energy (resonances) in the midrange.

My feeling is that I would like to send the HD650 back but I'm not sure my retailer accept that when they are used. There's an "open buy" for two weeks on non used gear I know.

In the end I guess I have to be patient and give them a couple of weeks to see if they loosen up. With speakers it use to be that the sound gets a little warmer after "burn in" though.

/Peter
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Guru

I've tried a lot of phones including the HD650. Didn't do it for me at all. I sold them within days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
A 100 hour run-in should get them settled in.

I could see that a break in could change the tone slightly, but I am not believing the difference could be that great.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

I've been a 580 user for about 5 years - returned the 650's the day I got 'em
(sure are pretty though)
Old 15th August 2008
not sure if i should try them . was comparing it with akg's k701 or k702
not sure which to head for mixing. i need a pair for good mixing reference.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Are they a big step up from HD-280?

I made a huge mistake and bought AKG k701s thinking they'd be a nice upgrade. Not so, as they don't have any bass at all and this is with a very good headphone amp - Benchmark H1. Still using my HD-280s...
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

I like the Beyerdynamic DT990 a lot more. But the best cans for me would be a hybrid of the 650 and 990 soundwise with the comfort of the Beyers.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

They do handle bass quite well. I don't find that a problem as I am mostly doing hip hop and r&b. They are very laid back... maybe a little too much. The sound is quite smooth and this can cause a problem for the highs in a mix and possible forgivingness for mistakes. I'm not sure if they can be fully trusted on but they sound great for listening to music for long periods of time. However, that doesn't quite help me as I bought them to reference my mixes on, not for enjoyment. Yes, they are a big step up from the HD-280.

Now I'm thinking about the K701 and keeping the set I think is more appropriate for mixing out of the 2. I'm a little hesitant because I've heard that the K701 has almost no bass.... which I'm thinking would make it quite hard for mixing a bass-heavy music style.

I've heard the DT 770 and was quite impressed... so the 990 should deff be great. I might look into those as well.

I skipped on the HD-600 because I've heard more reviews in general towards the HD-650... plus again, the better bass. I haven't heard the HD-600 though so I wouldn't know if they are actually better.

By the way, I got a refurbished pair.... do refurbished headphones also need to be broken in?
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

The K701s are very detailed and sound great to me in the frequence range they actually reproduce, but the low end just isn't there at all...
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendejo View Post
The K701s are very detailed and sound great to me in the frequence range they actually reproduce, but the low end just isn't there at all...
Would you recommend them for solely trying to fit vocals into a mix? That's my main concern.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

I love my 650s....actually, I'm using them right now

They come with me whenever I'm in the studio. I used them for a critical listening class at school, so I have a lot of listening time on them. They provide a clear look at my mixes and help with giving a different perspective on a mix when the monitors no longer inspire ideas. Honestly, I say use whatever you know and are comfortable with...the Sennheiser HD series not being a bad place to start.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I've tried a lot of phones including the HD650. Didn't do it for me at all. I sold them within days.

I could see that a break in could change the tone slightly, but I am not believing the difference could be that great.
To my ears, the difference between new HD650s and HD650s that have been used for a week is huge.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Nativeaudio, could you try to describe the change?

Thanks in advance!

/Peter
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
If my memory serves me the HD600 was tight (but not THAT tight) when new as well and I stretched them out by placing them on something bigger than my head. :-)
+1, at first the tightness was causing me headache. Now it's o.k (but still a little uncomfortable). But I love the sound, very accurate imho. Haven't tried the 650 yet.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
Nativeaudio, could you try to describe the change?

Thanks in advance!

/Peter
More natural/rich/alive/expensive-sounding.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have deliberately compared 650 / 600 / 701.
My thoughts were that the 650's were more homogenous in how they present the sound than 600s ( a more complete "whole").
They are very high quality for sure.
Surprisingly I was a bit disappointed by the comfort level of both.
The 701s are very good by and large but they felt to be missing a few frequencies and I don't mean bottom end as others have alluded to. - at their price I don't want to have questions about their performance.
"Break-in" can be a real factor in many can's / speakers performance ( they should get better but it's hard to guess to what extent.)
Out of the three it would be 650s for me, but what do I know - bought the ATM 50s without hearing , on the overwhelmingly positive reviews and favourable price differential ; they sound impressive but are too inaccurate to me, so the moral is - try for yourself and trust your own ears, cans are really personal.
Cheers, Ross
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

My DT770s do the trick. And I can wear them like - forever*.

*No way - I'm an electrosensitive. But the DT770s are the best from an EMF perspective as well
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knastratt View Post
My DT770s do the trick. And I can wear them like - forever*.

*No way - I'm an electrosensitive. But the DT770s are the best from an EMF perspective as well
I use my DT 880s mainly when I want to focus on high frequency stuff, because they seem to exaggerate those frequencies to some extent. They're also physically more comfortable. Are they also better from an EMF perspective? How?
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have both HD 650 and DT 770 here. While DT 770 are good for playbacks (they are very well closed), in terms of sound they sound quite limited/scooped comparing to HD 650
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Are they also better from an EMF perspective? How?
Because he believes they are.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have compared some more today and I think the HD650 has slightly higher output compared to HD600. This makes it a little hard to compare quick and scientific.

I assumed from this that if the transducers are still similar in the desing, the HD650 would possibly have lower impedance which makes them draw more current than HD600 hence stronger output for the same volume setting.

The voice coils of the HD650 measures 289 ohm and HD600 measures 315 ohm.

Will try to measure the actuall sensitivity some day.

The slightly stronger bass output in HD650 comes from less damping of the transducers. Looking at the measured impedance curve (on the HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears site) the impedance peak at fundamental resonance is lower and flatter than on HD600. This lifts up the output around the resonance but also makes the transient and time behaviour worse. A low q design with EQ makes more sence for a ultimate SOTA design.

It would be interesting to know exactly what the difference is on the transducers. Moving mass, length of voicecoil and the magnetic flux in the gap would be interesting to know. Sennhesier do you hear me? HELLOOOOO!? heh

As for comfort, HD600 is wonderful and I totally forget them when the music stop playing I sometimes sit with the cans on for an half an hour or so without thinking about it.

Seems like the earmuffs are a little harder on HD650 as well, that + the higher pressure from the "bow" makes them uncomfortable compared to HD600.

If the earmuffs get softened up a bit and I can stretch out the "bow" and if the transducers change for the better I think the HD650 is a keeper. Right now I'm not that happy about them.

/Peter
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

When I was out testing headphones, I really liked the 600's more than the 650's.

Feels like more space in the sound with the 600's and not the lowmid bump as in the 650's. The resolution was a little problem, as I think the sound blured together in a not so nice way for studio work.

Then I bought the Etymotic ER-4 on chance, which is an earplug, The resolution is INCREDIBLE and very soft freq curve, a little weak in the bass tho. You need to put them very long into the ear to achieve a good bas response, but it can never be great.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

Hmm... I guess everyone has their own preference... I don't think there is a definite winner. I might mix a track tonight on the HD-650s and post it up tomorrow so people can hear how a mix translates right off the HD-650's into the real world. So far I think it can range anywhere from horrible to nearly perfect.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Guru

No comparison is complete without including the Audio Technica ATH-M50.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
No comparison is complete without including the Audio Technica ATH-M50.
I haven't really looked into them simply because of my bias against their price... I doubt they'll be able to compete with headphones thrice their price. I can be wrong, but I don't think all these people are paying outrageous prices just to see "HD-650" written on the side of their heaphones.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyricalmind View Post
I haven't really looked into them simply because of my bias against their price... I doubt they'll be able to compete with headphones thrice their price. I can be wrong, but I don't think all these people are paying outrageous prices just to see "HD-650" written on the side of their heaphones.
The ATH-M50 has better overall response but a bit less detail than the HD600. I think it's a better overall deal. My faves atm are the Denon AH-D2000. I would rank those 1-2-3. The K701 I dislike.
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
The ATH-M50 has better overall response but a bit less detail than the HD600.
Are you sure you aren't confusing high end emphasis with detail?
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyricalmind View Post
I haven't really looked into them simply because of my bias against their price... I doubt they'll be able to compete with headphones thrice their price.
A true gearslut. hehtutt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search