The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just got my HD-650 Studio Headphones
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Are you sure you aren't confusing high end emphasis with detail?
I know many do but I don't think I am.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Been testing some more and i have not decided yet but I really begin to feel the HD650 is not an upgrade from HD600 but rather a side step, a different flavor at best. They feel colored with the increased low mid.

I can't understand why they changed the design regarding they frequency response.

Just to put some new stuff out there to sell?

Makes me a little worried about the MKH8020 I ordered..

/Peter
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboxstudio View Post
not sure if i should try them . was comparing it with akg's k701 or k702
not sure which to head for mixing. i need a pair for good mixing reference.
According to Headrooms measurements the AKG701 is even more bass heavy than HD650 and also has a lift up high.

Seems HD580/600 and also a Beyerdynamic I saw is some of the best for a neutral sound.

I'm really surprised by this chane in the design.. OTOH I maybe should have anticipated these differences judging the graphs I've seen. Oh well. Back they go!

HD600 is still King in my world!

/Peter
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Addict

So I was a/b-ing the HD-650 with the DT 770 at the local GC and a recording engineer with 40+ years of experience came in.... he made me listen to both headphones with all frequencies above 250 off.... though the HD-650 does have more bass... it is very muddy and distorted compared to the well defined bass of the DT 770.... I was shocked. I can't say how valid the test was, but it has been circling my mind.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyricalmind View Post
So I was a/b-ing the HD-650 with the DT 770 at the local GC and a recording engineer with 40+ years of experience came in.... he made me listen to both headphones with all frequencies above 250 off.... though the HD-650 does have more bass... it is very muddy and distorted compared to the well defined bass of the DT 770.... I was shocked. I can't say how valid the test was, but it has been circling my mind.
Play my song through your cans (careful not too loud):

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/tips-...your-room.html

You will hear the harmonic distortion amount if it's there pretty clearly, as well as the frequency response. You can check your DAC/headphone amp this way too. If you read up on Waves MaxxBass you'll see that THD gives us the impression of more bass than is actually there.

If you want to hear really great bass through a headphone try the Denon AH-D2000. The DT770 is also very good but it is peaky down there. Ultrasone Proline 750 is very good for bass.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Judging the quality of a narrow bandwith isn't that easy I would say. These graphs seems funny as well;
Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

/Peter
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

So I did the obvious thing before really making uo my mind.

I used some EQ to tame the upper bass - lowermid on the HD650. Tried to take down about 2dB from 60-250Hz and for several tracks that made them clearly better. So good I think I prefer them to HD600.

Ah I'll keep them... haha!

I run them in and play around with EQ to see what that gives. I'm about to build a two channel headphone amp for monitoring with fellow musicians and clients and I do need two headphones for that of course and until now I only had the HD600.

Possibly I'll build a EQ circuit into the amp on at least one channel and leave an option to bypass it.

/Peter
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Play my song through your cans (careful not too loud):

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/tips-...your-room.html

You will hear the harmonic distortion amount if it's there pretty clearly, as well as the frequency response. You can check your DAC/headphone amp this way too. If you read up on Waves MaxxBass you'll see that THD gives us the impression of more bass than is actually there.

If you want to hear really great bass through a headphone try the Denon AH-D2000. The DT770 is also very good but it is peaky down there. Ultrasone Proline 750 is very good for bass.

I feel 20hz when I turn up the volume... though there is no definition, it is just a rumble and this annoying vibration in my left ear (sounds like a vinyl distortion). Around 47hz is where the sound becomes clearly defined, however the vibration in the left ear is still there. At about 62hz is when the annoying distortion in my left ear goes away. The sound is well defined onwards. The sound also gets louder and louder (I'm not sure if that's a problem as that may cause higher frequencies to be louder than lower ones). Oh, and I start feeling light headed.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
The sound also gets louder and louder (I'm not sure if that's a problem as that may cause higher frequencies to be louder than lower ones). Oh, and I start feeling light headed.
If you run a linear frequency sweep thru a linear headphone or speakersystem you will experience a gradual increase in loudness upp to 3-4kHz or so and above that point the loudness will decrease. That's the way our hearing apparatus works.

/Peter

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search