The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
focal twins.....wow Dynamic Microphones
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Nut

focal twins.....wow

hi guys,

just bought my focal twins yesterday.
i switched from my adam`s s2.5.

wow what a difference.
for me the focal`s sound so much better, its unbelievable.

the stereoimage is much more better and i hear the lows in a much more sophisticated way.

whats your experience?
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I'm so sick of hearing about these monitors in various threads scattered all throughout gearslutz. Frankly, they don't hold a candle to O300's and I just wish all this "What do you think about/what's your experience of, blah, blah, blah Focal Twins............." was compiled into one thread.

If you wanna know what peoples experience is, do a search. There is more information on these monitors here at the moment than any other monitor I believe.

Sorry, bit bitter today, very, very tired.............
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I'm so sick of hearing about these monitors in various threads scattered all throughout gearslutz. Frankly, they don't hold a candle to O300's and I just wish all this "What do you think about/what's your experience of, blah, blah, blah Focal Twins............." was compiled into one thread.

If you wanna know what peoples experience is, do a search. There is more information on these monitors here at the moment than any other monitor I believe.

Sorry, bit bitter today, very, very tired.............
Just to add to your bitterness, I happen to know someone who chose the Twins over the O300's.

each to their own.
Old 6th August 2008
member no 666

Because dissenting opinions shouldn't be delivered alone... I too found the Focal Twin 6's a FAR better mixing tool for the way I work than the 0300's [in fact, I found the 0200's a far better mixing tool than the 0300's]... the S-3A's don't suck by any stretch of the imagination... and from what I heard at the "product launch" demonstration by Event a week or so ago I can hardly wait to get a pair of their new "Opal" monitors in for demo.

Peace.
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Yes well, each to their own I guess..........ears do tend to have a rather personal flavour. I think what my inference was more on was the fact that there are so many of these threads floating around concerning the twins.
Old 6th August 2008
We just got a set of twins for the new facility - after listening to them for 30 seconds I rang up and ordered the Sub.
Very keen to hear how they work together.
Anyone got experience on the best crossover freq's.
I realize that the room will play a large role in how they sound together.
Old 6th August 2008
member no 666

If I were you I'd try doing a mix or two on the Twins before committing to the sub... I've found the bottom on my mixes [which as we are all aware is my work, not your work] referenced better without an additional sub... for "casual listening" I would agree... for mix work I find them better without a sub.

As for their being too many threads about the Focals... I agree. There are too many redundant threads in general in my opinion... and it seems that the "High End" forum is becoming more and more of a "general tool" circus than it was in the past... whole lotta "newbie"s hangin' here.

Everything's gotta grow... I reckon that's part of the price of success... the generalization of a specific area.

Peace.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
As for their being too many threads about the Focals... I agree. There are too many redundant threads in general in my opinion... and it seems that the "High End" forum is becoming more and more of a "general tool" circus than it was in the past... whole lotta "newbie"s hangin' here.
I agree. I'm a noob here and I search my ass off on Gearslutz. Sometimes I bump an old thead (one that was three years old yesterday).

I have over 200 threads saved in my subscription folders and I read like a fiend noting recording tips, methods, and opinions. There's no excuse for new threads all the time. I guess if you get a piece of gear you love you can add to/bump a thread or post in the good news section.

In other words,

However, lack of bumping and new threads can lead to a dead lifeless bored. Somewhere there lies a happy medium, the defining poin I'm sure nobody will agree on.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
As for their being too many threads about the Focals... I agree.
+1

Cue yet more threads about there being too many threads about Focals.

And so it goes on...
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

The shills need a new thread because the other threads may include reports about how much the crummy amp/hifi scoop Focal twins suck.
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsize 13 View Post
hi guys,

just bought my focal twins yesterday.
i switched from my adam`s s2.5.

wow what a difference.
for me the focal`s sound so much better, its unbelievable.

the stereoimage is much more better and i hear the lows in a much more sophisticated way.

whats your experience?
I hope they don't sound too good and make you lazy during mix. Remember - it doesn't matter how good they sound, it's how good your mixes turn out in the end..... (if they're employed as studio monitors)
Old 7th August 2008
Reg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
The shills need a new thread because the other threads may include reports about how much the crummy amp/hifi scoop Focal twins suck.
Hey peeder, what can you suggest rather than Twins. I'm so glad you made made me see the light and I since then sold the Twins on your comments of them. You seem to be up there with all the 5000+ post, any chance of hearing some of the stuff you record and mix, also, what monitors should I buy now. I have no monitors now, I sold the Twins as soon as I read your comments. Please get back to me as soon as you can with recomendations, I was in the middle of a mix when I sold the Twins and can't finish this project. Thanks, I think, did I do the right thing???
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Alright, now try barefoot's
Old 7th August 2008
Reg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212121 View Post
Alright, now try barefoot's
I waiting to hear from peeder before I buy annything else. Maybe he will say the Barefoots suck also and I will have to sell them and never finish my mix.
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
why don't you say what you really mean, and while your at it howza bouts being a little less anonymous? It's one thing to say you don't dig certain gear, god knows I've been razzed for some of my dislikes, but you my friend I think go over the top. And I own a pair of twins and I know they don't suck, and I'm not anonymous
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Boots View Post
I hope they don't sound too good and make you lazy during mix. Remember - it doesn't matter how good they sound, it's how good your mixes turn out in the end..... (if they're employed as studio monitors)
What I can tell you from my experience about them is , they're honest, revealing monitors. And for sure certain aspects of my mixes have improved in terms of pocketing the low end.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
why don't you say what you really mean, and while your at it howza bouts being a little less anonymous? It's one thing to say you don't dig certain gear, god knows I've been razzed for some of my dislikes, but you my friend I think go over the top. And I own a pair of twins and I know they don't suck, and I'm not anonymous
Would you like my address too, so you know which bed the horse's head gets put in?

(Some of the negative reports were not anonymous. That has nothing to do with anything. Anonymity can and often does make for more honest opinions.)

(And in any case, I'm pseudonymous, and accountable to my pseudonym. Which as far as audio engineering discussions go, is more important than my real name.)
Old 7th August 2008
Reg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Would you like my address too, so you know which bed the horse's head gets put in?

(Some of the negative reports were not anonymous. That has nothing to do with anything. Anonymity can and often does make for more honest opinions.)

(And in any case, I'm pseudonymous, and accountable to my pseudonym. Which as far as audio engineering discussions go, is more important than my real name.)
Hey peeder, I asked for your opinion on what monitors I should buy next, I did sell my Twins just for you, hope you realize that. Is pseudonym the monitors your using now???, where can I buy these. Never heard of these, must be good since you have them, I'm buying. You the man peeder.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Hey peeder, I asked for your opinion on what monitors I should buy next, I did sell my Twins just for you, hope you realize that. Is pseudonym the monitors your using now???, where can I buy these. Never heard of these, must be good since you have them, I'm buying. You the man peeder.
If you would be serious and not just wasting internet space i would say Adam P22a or P33a.I didnt liked the twins aswell after testing in my room for 2 weeks,i ended up with p22a which i love.Its about personal taste.Monitors are the most personal investment any engineer can make,it works or it does not work.And in my case the focal speakers didnt worked at all.They arent bad or suck in any way i just prefer the Presence of the ribbon tweeters and the tight bass of the adams.
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:

Please cut the drama, I think maybe you would maybe express your dislike differently if you put your real identity out there, then people who question what you say, could maybe see a little of your work and find out if you are the authority you seem to put yourself out there as. You don't link to a web page or anything. many of us don't hide, even heavy weights like Bob Clearmountain, Michael Wagner, and Michael Brauer amongst others. There are anonymous people on GS who make all sorts of pronouncements and what they say is given sometimes more weight than it deserves,
because they think they're some super engineer being on the qt. I've said negative things about gear and had people vehemently disagree, there hasn't been any horse head in my bed. So what are you afraid of? With only a pseudonym only, your not accountable at all. If you catch enough heat you can just change your identity.

BTW I have no problem with anyone saying they don't like these speakers , especially if you actually tried them in your place, worked on them, and realized they weren't for you. For me I found these speakers have informed me better in my work and helped me do a better job. But your comments about how these speakers suck and calling those of us who like these speakers shills is a bit much.
Old 8th August 2008
Reg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
If you would be serious and not just wasting internet space i would say Adam P22a or P33a.I didnt liked the twins aswell after testing in my room for 2 weeks,i ended up with p22a which i love.Its about personal taste.Monitors are the most personal investment any engineer can make,it works or it does not work.And in my case the focal speakers didnt worked at all.They arent bad or suck in any way i just prefer the Presence of the ribbon tweeters and the tight bass of the adams.
Hey Fluxpod, you don't get it do you, I love my Focal Twins, never sold them. Just trying to flush peeder out of the woodworks. Get it now???.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA VERDAD View Post
Who in the big leagues use Focals nowdays?
Just curious.
MySpace.com - Jeff Juliano-guy who mixes records - 38 - Male - Rehoboth Beach (area), Delaware - www.myspace.com/jeffjuliano - I think there are Twins on some of the pictures.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Fluxpod, you don't get it do you, I love my Focal Twins, never sold them. Just trying to flush peeder out of the woodworks. Get it now???.
I got it the first time..thank you.Thats why i wrote my reply,may you read it again.
Old 8th August 2008
Reg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
I got it the first time..thank you.Thats why i wrote my reply,may you read it again.
Peace Bro.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Peace Bro.
Old 25th December 2008
Gear Head

Event Opal Review

Quote:
Because dissenting opinions shouldn't be delivered alone... I too found the Focal Twin 6's a FAR better mixing tool for the way I work than the 0300's [in fact, I found the 0200's a far better mixing tool than the 0300's]... the S-3A's don't suck by any stretch of the imagination... and from what I heard at the "product launch" demonstration by Event a week or so ago I can hardly wait to get a pair of their new "Opal" monitors in for demo.

Peace.
Hello,

Please please let us know as soon as you test the Opal's. I am very impressed by the technology behind this monitors. Also how they compare to the Focal Twin's. Unfortunately I live in Mexico and there is no way I can test professional studio monitors anywhere. I have to buy based on professional reviews like yours! I would be thankful for any information you can give me!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Raffaele
Old 27th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Yes the O200's must be much better. Although.......hmmmm, didn't they cut them for a reason?? Each to their own ears as always...

Do what you want but just listen to as many as you can get hold of, no-ones room is the same and no monitor (of course) will sound the same. Buy what your ears tell you to buy. Really, it's that simple. There is no magic .
Old 27th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
hahahahaa!! I was worry about you!! Hey you must be nutz or what?

How can you sell a great monitor based on somebody else opinions? and in the middle of a mix and specially coming from Peeder's comments?

Pedeer can not be serious about audio...he spend most of his time writing crap in GS than recording or mixing!
Use your ears and not Pedeer's ..you will progress better that way!'

Great Joke!!
Old 27th December 2008
Quote:
I put the Focals Twin 6Be and other revealing gear at Jeff Juliano's Hands!..and he love and swear by his Focal/

Also if you want to know more I did send the Focals SM11 to Setai's Lenny Kravitz Studio...they love them so much....even better than their ATC SCM300Pro that are actually great!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search