The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i've been showcasing these kids, looking for a manager.. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5th June 2003
Good tip.

They are so melodic they fit in a general radio rock genre, they aren't as limited as a 'pure emo' act (whatever that is) they arent militantly emo or indie, they have blatent commercial aspirations. They see themselves as in the entertainment busisness, not the emo cred business. VERY early days, they are very young, but thats one thing UK A&R prize most highly IMHO.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear
Jules, I sent one of the people from my personal forum to you as they are UK as well. I hope they contact you. They seem talented in a raw sense x10. So, if someone from a band called The Series contacts you, then blame me.

Steve, www.mojopie.com
Old 10th June 2003
Thank you very much.

Hey! Another one of my developmental bands is playing out tonight in London, you can hear a low rezolution MP3 and get details of the gig here,

http://www.demodiaries.com/

they are called The Brink, here's a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
i've been showcasing these kids, looking for a manager..-brink-b-w.jpg  
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Nut

Not bad, they sound kind of American to me
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

yeah a distinctly American vibe that sounds better because it's British :-)

my stuff is a distinctly British vibe that sounds other worldly because it's coming from a guy from Lawn Guyland ;-)
Old 17th June 2003
Gear Addict

nathan

sounds like we're doing some similar stuff. At least on this side, the song is words and melody. Doesn't matter if the super-hip drum groove/guitar line becomes the hook of the tune, and sells 6 million copies, if you didn't write the words or the melody, you don't have creative stake.

I was a bit shocked to learn that this even covers severe re-arranging. I took a half chorus from the end of a tune and made it the second verse, hacked the bridge in half, and resorted a bunch of couplets on a tune, and still, no new words, no new melody, no co-write.

-sm
Old 18th June 2003
Update!

The first band signed a (very rare these days) 6 month development deal last Friday with a major and took home a cheque for $35,000.

My 4 tracks look like they will be coming out by the end of the year. I have publishing on 3 of them. No instant cash for me just now....

Mixing the 2nd bands new material now,

A 3rd spec band band I publish (!) is getting a single released soon! The tune re-recorded (to accomodate the new drummer) by a fellow Gearslut Robert!

There was an error on my first publishing statement, I am due 4 times as much.

It's all go!

Yes sir ree!
Old 18th June 2003
Lives for gear

That's really, really, great Jules :-) Maybe you could bring a CD w/ some clips with you to the get together
Old 18th June 2003
Hmmm - music eh?

dont like that!

Food? - Food is good!

heh

See what I can do....
Old 27th July 2003
Here we are back in the studio again, to do another track but this time a major lable is footing the bill. The first (major) release will have all my spec deal tracks on it and the newly recorded one from this session, (the first using the new drum room).

So from 'spec' to being paid!

Attached Thumbnails
i've been showcasing these kids, looking for a manager..-specback-.jpg  
Old 27th July 2003
Gear Addict

Are those books real?

Which one opens the secret passageway to Abbey Road?
Old 27th July 2003
No, fake... I am standing / leaning over in front of the hidden door to the secret laboratory, (or toilet to use another word)
Old 27th July 2003
Gear Addict

Darn. Is it true books make handy diffusors?

I do like the Gentlemen's Club look of the place though. Very civilised.

Do you serve Port?
Old 31st July 2003
Lives for gear

right on jules !!
in this current climate in the music industry you are a real inspiration.
each of us producers here could probably write a book on all the times things
turned out to be a stab in the back. may this be the start of a slew of hits!
cheers
s
Old 31st July 2003
Lives for gear

right on jules !!
in this current climate in the music industry you are a real inspiration.
each of us producers here could probably write a book on all the times things
turned out to be a stab in the back. may this be the start of a slew of hits!
cheers
s
Old 2nd August 2003
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Is it true books make handy diffusors?
not as good as LPs...
Old 5th August 2003
Gear Head

Hey, Jules. This is interesting - a major label offering a development deal?? Is this the turning of the tide of throw away music and a hint that we're returning to longer term investment in artists again? Let's hope so. Excellent news, mate.

Cheers,

Mike

Old 27th September 2003
Yes it's rare indeed.

More good news:

1) I am back in with them at the moment recording EP 2 due out next year.

2) The video shot for the first EP (an original spec deal recording) looks fantastic.

3) The first EP 4 track EP (coupled with one more tune) is being licenced to a hip US lable..

Old 14th October 2003
Gear Addict

Damn Jules. . .

Will you get my band signed too. We have quirky emo'ish music. You can listen to one of our songs from our upcoming self produced/recorded album: (It is a 15 song album to sell to local fans, but we are choosing 3 or 4 to give to producers and labels)

www.elohsa.com/beezoboy/star.MP3

Seriously man, I'll give you some money or let you record us or both if you get us signed to a decent label. We are in the US btw.

Either way though, congrats to you and them.
Beez
Old 14th October 2003
Lives for gear

Congratulations Jules! Good things sometimes come to those who wait. And work their butt off.
Old 24th May 2004
Here is Blue one of the guitarists - on a poster promoting "Breaking Point" a new MTV / MTV2 show just started (or about to start) worldwide. The band are one of the 3 main acts featured. I think the show runs for several months. Its a huge break for them. The tunes I produced on spec get played almost every time the band are on screen.

Attached Thumbnails
i've been showcasing these kids, looking for a manager..-thpposter.jpg  
Old 8th November 2004
Gear Addict

Jules,

Are you still using the same publishing/re-recording, etc. deal that you were before? If so, how is it working out and have you made any changes to your approach?
Old 8th November 2004
No changes..

I just keep getting refused by bands & their managers...

They are all waiting for that major lable pot of gold...

Most of them wont find it ever...

I offer one of these deals about once every 2 months.

I play visiting A&R cats the acts that have turned me down and they usually dig em...

So much has to be right, attitude, look, age, songs, musicianship, manager....

One item slightly 'off' in that list and it's all over....

(from a major point of view)

Just heard on act I am after have ditched their management, and moved on to another (I am friendly with) however they have a 'sign nothing' policy, so this might screw up their chances anywhere... who wants to help bands for no reward? - idiot or inexperienced junior managers - thats who.... and a band can hop from one to another of those untill they hit 30+ years old which is generally 'over the hill' for majors, then wonder........ 'what happened?'

Old 6th January 2005
Update the bands development deal ran it's course with the major, they parted company.

The MTV show was poorly put together and had disapointing ratings, it was never exported to other countries as hoped.

They have been let out of the dev deal with the following.

Some equipment
4 National Tours (with tour support)
3 Videos shown on MTV
2 singles recorded
1 trip to SXSW festival in Austin Texas
1 other trip to the US

And are back in with me doing a half spec deal / half paid for 1st album.

Their manager will try to sell it or they will put it out themselves somehow.

Old 6th January 2005
Jam
Lives for gear

You could see this coming when you watched the show and it's a huge shame. It all smelled a bit of Poop Idol bandwagon jumping.
All in all a good idea poorly executed ( though it was nice to see one of the GS regulars on TV )
Hope you come out of it smelling of roses or at least with a box of them.

Jam
Old 18th February 2005
Here for the gear

Austin, tx

anyone want to try a deal similar to this in austin tx? www.myspace.com/furk or www.furkloven.com - to check out the music go to myspace
Attached Thumbnails
i've been showcasing these kids, looking for a manager..-small.jpg  
Old 18th February 2005
Lives for gear

Re: Austin, tx

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinseelbach
anyone want to try a deal similar to this in austin tx? www.myspace.com/furk or www.furkloven.com - to check out the music go to myspace
I tried to do something similar here in Vancouver, but got nothing but resistance from the local Socan (Canadian ASCAP/BMI) office all the way. They basically refused to allow the band to register the songs with our business being co-publisher. And we were only talking 10%.

They also kept telling the band that they shouldn't sign anything away to us.

We gave up, and I stopped trying to help bands and artists out by trying to do similar deals. Itw a sjust too frustrating.
Old 22nd August 2005
band folded!!

They are so young... after their 2 year journey, they are the ripe old age of about 21..

I think university becons for some, one is learning to be a tattooist!

They will have some fun times to look back on!

NEXT!

heh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search