The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Temples of Sound - historic studios book
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

Temples of Sound - historic studios book

I remember hearing about this book a year or so ago when it was still being researched / written. There was a brief blurb in the current TapeOp and now its listed on Amazon with a March, 2003 publication date.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...322632-2470447

Just thought some might find it interesting.......

steve
[email protected]
Old 24th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

It sounds like a fun book. However, the ollowing line (from Amazon's site) was even better:

"Customers who wear clothes also shop for:
Clean Underwear from Amazon's Target Store"

Is this a great country or what?
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

Nice one. The last 2 good studio/gear book I read were "Beatles Gear" and "Good Vibrations-the History of record production." Both were great.
Old 24th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
It sounds like a fun book. However, the ollowing line (from Amazon's site) was even better:

"Customers who wear clothes also shop for:
Clean Underwear from Amazon's Target Store"

Is this a great country or what?
LOL
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

The last 2 good studio/gear book I read were "Beatles Gear" and "Good Vibrations-the History of record production." Both were great.

And, for the truly obsessive among us, the final book in the Beatles gear trilogy is due out this fall; "Recording the Beatles". Its gonna be the studio equipment bible as compared to the guitar gear bible that "Beatles Gear" was. When you add in the original book, "The Beatles Recording Sessions", fans will be able to recreate every instant of the years at Abbey Road. It won't make any of us sound like the Beatles, but we may pick up a trick or two.....

steve
[email protected]
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

Temples of Sound - in stores now.....

two quick comments:

1. guys who were actually there when these studios were in their heydey have commented on some notable errors. Even those of us who didn't set foot in a studio until the 70s will notice quite a few factual mistakes. but hell, they're writing about events that happened 50 years ago, and some memories are gonna be less than perfect.

2. But.....its still worth every penny. I read the entire book in two lengthy sittings and I enjoyed every second. After reading the fifteen chapters, I can't see how anyone wouldn't want to try some old school, "live in the studio" recording. (or even make that your standard technique...)

Anyone with even the slightest interest in the golden age of recording studios will be very glad they bought the book.

Even those of us who have read almost everything published about the more famous studios (Mowtown, Chess, Atlantic, etc.) will find many less heralded rooms with incredible stories.
My vote for the most surprising chapter was "J&M, Cosimo's Factory" about the phenomenol history of the recording scene in New Orleans.

steve
[email protected]
Old 12th November 2003
Lives for gear

I just bought this book today. Now I want a studio even more!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear