The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In L.A. from 25 Nov to 1 Dec
Old 19th November 2004
Gear Maniac

In L.A. from 25 Nov to 1 Dec

Hi guys. I'll be in LA for 6 days for shopping and relaxing from 25 Nov to 1 dec.

Is anyone around at that time ?

Any cool events/gigs/shows ?

Hope to see some of you.

Ciao!

Michele
Old 21st November 2004
Lives for gear

You didn't mention a specific desire to go stare at a bunch of gear, but this is the GearSlutz forum, so if that sounds like fun.....

I always recommend that any out of town recording tech with an interest in vintage gear, makes a swing by Coast REcording Equipment Supply, if only for the spectacle of seeing 30 or 40 ATR102s lined up in rows. Coast is where Ampex recorders go to die, and more than a few MCI/Studer/3M and other brands are mixed in with the Ampex.

For anyone with even a slight interest in analog recording gear, the store is worth a 1/2 hour out of your vacation. If you are a true gear fiend, figure an afternoon, and leave your credit cards at home!

Jaded locals need to keep things in perspective. I know several guys who say that they had never seen more than 3 or 4 full size recorders in a single room, and that had been at the big studio in their town, not in a store. Walking into a store with several dozen recorders ranging from 1/2" Otari 5050s to 2" MM1200s can not be done anywhere else except Coast (that I know of). And then there are the dozen Pultecs, next to the dozen Langs, next to the dozen Cinema Engineering EQs; or the thirty DBX comps next to the dozens of URIE models, etc., etc., etc.

It either captures your attention or it doesn't, but if it does, its a unique place. And if you convince Jerry that you came all the way from Italy just to see his store, maybe he'll open up the "back rooms" normally closed off behind locked sliding glass doors.Its been several years since I've been in either of those rooms and who knows what's back there these days...?

Or you could watch singing bears at the "Its A Small World" attraction at Disneyland..............LA has something for everyone!
Old 22nd November 2004
Gear Maniac

Thanks Steve.

Yeah I'm more gear interested. I've emailed Eveanna for a tour at Manley Labs and she was very nice . Owning both slam,massive and varimu I really like to see the factory where they were built!

So if you can suggest some cool shops, I'll be around for 5 days in full GAS mode.

If some of you shows up or is glad to receive a quick greet in studio I'll be there from 26 nov. to 1dec.

Thank you in advance.

Michele

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search