The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Folk singersongwriter
Old 11th January 2003
Lives for gear

Question Folk singersongwriter

Hi you all,

anyone have some suggestions for recording the folk singer songwriter.

Should you capture the moment and record live on location or studio?
Or should you work out the songs first like doing the pre production for arranged songs and use a clik track ?
i would love to hear some opinions on this, so feel free.

Greetz.
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

i would try both ...

usually if someones playing and singing the same time he/she has a different time feeling compared to a straight clicktrack .
but thats what makes it sound " real " .
if there are other instruments playing as well , its the best to record them live ( i know , that takes some gear ) .
if you need a clicktrack on some songs for overdubbing drums or whatever make sure you dont really blame the takes in fact of timing . to create a atmosphere a clicktrack can be your biggest enemy . it works wonders if you simply add some percussion tracks f.ex. . people who arent used to play to a click are getting confused very fast ... they´ll end up most times with the feelings that they cant play and your studio session is OVER
most times those kinda songwriters are doing slower songs .
to add some modern elements play around with some delayed drumsounds , add a shaker , some congas . hearing that sound in the end with a nice singer and acoustic guitar player can sound just great . doing some overdubs on git , vocals maybe some keys ... and you´ll have what you need .

good luck ,

p.s. before somebody wants to show you his/her songs , be sure you record the 1st takes ... there will never be a better take heh

just my opinion
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tip

i tried something with a sandman shaker and it worked just fine.
We recorded al the songs on the feel as a demo,
and later on we made for six songs a tempo track, and i let the singer guitarplayer in this case do the shaking over the clik track, added a small amount of delay, made a good balance in the headphones and did the rec. over with the click left out, it had a great feel and the artist wasn't unsure anymore to get the tempo right!

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search