The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ANOTHER trombone related death (something HAS to be done!)
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

(smile) ANOTHER trombone related death (something HAS to be done!)

From Vibes2000 (Dave) NewsBOCHOLT, GERMANY

A band musician died of a brain injury when the trombonist behind him jerked the slide of his trombone forward and struck the trumpeter in the back of the head.

Police say the tragedy occurred as the band was rehearsing the spirited American jazz classic "When The Saints Go Marching In". Trombonist Peter Niemeyer, 19, "got carried away" with the music. At one point, he jerked forward and the rounded metal slide on his instrument hit the trumpet player. "Niemeyer was pumping the slide very hard," said medical examiner Dr. Max Krause. "But it wasn't just the force of the blow that killed Mohr. The slide struck him in the worst possible place -- the vulnerable spot just behind and below the left ear. Bone fragments pierced his brain, killing him instantly.

"The incident has provoked a storm of controversy over whether or not American jazz should be played in German colleges. "I believe the music is to blame," said Gratzfeld band director Heinrich Sommer. "I was pressured to play that selection by school administrators. But I've always said jazz is dangerous music.

Our musicians can't control themselves when they play it. They move and rock back and forth, creating chaos. If I had my way, American Dixieland would be outlawed in Germany. I've been directing bands for 30 years and I've never heard of anyone dying while playing a German march."
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

hahahahaha heh

what do u wanna say with that ???

hahahahaha heh
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

Re: (smile) ANOTHER trombone related death (something HAS to be done!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
I've always said jazz is dangerous music.

Absolutely.
Old 29th January 2003
One with big hooves

Man, that can't be real? That's from the Onion or something right?
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Re: (smile) ANOTHER trombone related death (something HAS to be done!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
From Vibes2000 (Dave) NewsBOCHOLT, GERMANY

... I've never heard of anyone dying while playing a German march."
I think you meant to say, " I've never heard of anyone dying while a German march was playing"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search